digitalmars.D - what's the equivilent of C pointers you pass to functions?

reply clayasaurus <clayasaurus_member pathlink.com> writes:
hello, I'm in a bit of a rut here with D. What I want to do is pass a pointer to
a function and have that function change it's value. For example, in C you can
use

function(int *bob)
{
bob = 6;
}

main()
{
int bob = 7;
function(&bob);
// bob now equals 6
}

I've tried this in D, but D doesn't have the & keyword and D segfaults when I
try to change the value of a declared pointer. Like if i do

int *bob;
*bob = 7;

i get a segmentation fault probably due to D's garbage collector or something.
anyways, all I'm asking is what is the D equivilent of pointers that you can
pass to functions and change their value? thanks.
May 14 2004
next sibling parent reply Daniel Horn <hellcatv hotmail.com> writes:
void function (inout int bob) ...

then you don't need to dereference.

clayasaurus wrote:
[...]

parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c836e1$19cn$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Daniel Horn says...
void function (inout int bob) ...

then you don't need to dereference.
wow, that's pretty sweet & simple. D is awesome.
May 14 2004
prev sibling parent "Vathix" <vathixSpamFix dprogramming.com> writes:
"clayasaurus" <clayasaurus_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c835qs$18ji$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 hello, I'm in a bit of a rut here with D. What I want to do is pass a
pointer to
 a function and have that function change it's value. For example, in C you
can
 use

 function(int *bob)
 {
 bob = 6;
 }

 main()
 {
 int bob = 7;
 function(&bob);
 // bob now equals 6
 }

 I've tried this in D, but D doesn't have the & keyword and D segfaults
when I
 try to change the value of a declared pointer. Like if i do
D does have C's & operator. You must specify a return type in functions, and the word 'function' is a keyword. This works: void func(int *bob) { *bob = 6; } int main() { int bob = 7; func(&bob); // bob now equals 6 return 0; }
 int *bob;
 *bob = 7;

 i get a segmentation fault probably due to D's garbage collector or
something.
 anyways, all I'm asking is what is the D equivilent of pointers that you
can
 pass to functions and change their value? thanks.
This will most likely not work in C either; and it's better off not working because if it does work, it'll just end up corrupting something. bob must point somewhere: int foo; int *bob = &foo; // or use 'new', etc. *bob = 7; -- Christopher E. Miller
May 14 2004