digitalmars.D - upx exe packer has problems with MyDmdApp.exe output of dmd

reply "Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> writes:
I did a quick test of the upx exe packer on output from the dmd
compiler. Their stable version ver 1.25 reported problems, and
the --force option resulted in an exe that didn't work. Their beta
v1.92 seemed to work ok if the --force option was provided.

The freeware app I'm considering developing with D might benefit from
an exe packer. Does anyone have experience with an exe packer that
works with dmd's output?

I reported this to the upx developers, but was wondering if dmd does
non-standard exe generation.

http://upx.sourceforge.net
Oct 03 2004
next sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Lynn Allan" <l_d_allan adelphia.net> wrote in message
news:cjoplf$v72$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I did a quick test of the upx exe packer on output from the dmd
 compiler. Their stable version ver 1.25 reported problems, and
 the --force option resulted in an exe that didn't work. Their beta
 v1.92 seemed to work ok if the --force option was provided.

 The freeware app I'm considering developing with D might benefit from
 an exe packer. Does anyone have experience with an exe packer that
 works with dmd's output?

 I reported this to the upx developers, but was wondering if dmd does
 non-standard exe generation.

 http://upx.sourceforge.net
The linker produces standard Portable Executable EXE files. It's been known for some time that the upx packer won't work with it, it's a bug in upx.
Oct 03 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Lynn Allan schrieb:

 The freeware app I'm considering developing with D might benefit from
 an exe packer. Does anyone have experience with an exe packer that
 works with dmd's output?
Yes, there are packers which work, but most don't. These packers work, as far as i remember: Petite by Ian Luck (shareware) PE-Compact (commercial/demo) MEW SE 1.1 (freeware, best compression) FSG 2.0 (freeware) The last 2 have been written by some leet eastern european hackers. :> Some anti-viruses can jerk at FSG. If you have trouble finding the links, i can be of help. These packers don't work, as far as i remember: UPX - all known versions, but the newest version might work with --force older versions of MEW and FSG many other packers. -eye
Oct 03 2004