digitalmars.D - make imports private by default

reply Tyro <ridimz_at yahoo.dot.com> writes:
I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by
default. On the grand scheme of things this is quite minuscule, however,
I think it important to point out that a vast majority of conflicts are
caused by the mere fact that imports are done publicly.

Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
available only in the file into which I imported it. If I need it to be
available to users of my code, I should then be required to state so
explicitly.

Just my opinion.
Andrew Edwards
Sep 26 2004
next sibling parent Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner wikiservice.at> writes:
Tyro wrote:

 I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by
 default. On the grand scheme of things this is quite minuscule, however,
 I think it important to point out that a vast majority of conflicts are
 caused by the mere fact that imports are done publicly.

 Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
 available only in the file into which I imported it. If I need it to be
 available to users of my code, I should then be required to state so
 explicitly.

 Just my opinion.
 Andrew Edwards
I agree with you. If it is still possible at this state of development, I would even argue to make imports private by default and add a public keyword for the rare cases where this is needed. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Sep 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
 I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by
 default. On the grand scheme of things this is quite minuscule, however,
 I think it important to point out that a vast majority of conflicts are
 caused by the mere fact that imports are done publicly.

 Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
 available only in the file into which I imported it. If I need it to be
 available to users of my code, I should then be required to state so
 explicitly.

 Just my opinion.
 Andrew Edwards
Aggreed, 100%. Always default to the least confusing behavior, don't pull in symbols from across the ocean ;) Mike Swieton __ You can tell the ideals of a nation by its advertisements. - Norman Douglas
Sep 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Agreed

"Tyro" <ridimz_at yahoo.dot.com> wrote in message
news:cj60p4$4m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by default.
On the grand scheme of things this is
quite minuscule, however, I think it important to point out that a vast
majority of conflicts are caused by the mere
fact that imports are done publicly.

 Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
available only in the file into which I imported
 it. If I need it to be available to users of my code, I should then be
required to state so explicitly.

 Just my opinion.
 Andrew Edwards
Sep 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Tyro" <ridimz_at yahoo.dot.com> escribió en el mensaje
news:cj60p4$4m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
|I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by
| default. On the grand scheme of things this is quite minuscule, however,
| I think it important to point out that a vast majority of conflicts are
| caused by the mere fact that imports are done publicly.
|
| Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
| available only in the file into which I imported it. If I need it to be
| available to users of my code, I should then be required to state so
| explicitly.
|
| Just my opinion.
| Andrew Edwards

I agree, but I think once Walter spoke of consistency: all things in D are
public by default, so making imports private would break consistency. That's
what he said, makes sense, although (again) I agree with the proposal.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Sep 27 2004
next sibling parent Benjamin Herr <ben 0x539.de> writes:
Carlos Santander B. wrote:
  > I agree, but I think once Walter spoke of consistency: all things in
D are
 public by default, so making imports private would break consistency. That's
 what he said, makes sense, although (again) I agree with the proposal.
As do I.
Sep 27 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Bent Rasmussen" <exo bent-rasmussen.info> writes:
 I agree, but I think once Walter spoke of consistency: all things in D are
 public by default, so making imports private would break consistency.
 That's
Yes consistency, that's what I thought. Kind of like it.
Sep 27 2004
parent Tyro <ridimz_at yahoo.dot.com> writes:
Bent Rasmussen wrote:
I agree, but I think once Walter spoke of consistency: all things in D are
public by default, so making imports private would break consistency.
That's
Yes consistency, that's what I thought. Kind of like it.
I agree that consistency is fundamentally important in the language. However, if in keeping the "tradition" one introduces characteristics that are both unintuitive and problematic, then the tradition must be broken in favor of a more sophisticated solution. I would much rather feel somewhat inconsistent (a little less traditional) than having to hunt down bugs caused by importing someone else's library and plastering my code with "private import" when that is what I mean 99% of the time anyway.
Sep 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:
me too.

Tyro wrote:
 I don't know about you guys but IMHO imports should be made private by
 default. On the grand scheme of things this is quite minuscule, however,
 I think it important to point out that a vast majority of conflicts are
 caused by the mere fact that imports are done publicly.

 Most often when I import a  library module, I only want it to be made
 available only in the file into which I imported it. If I need it to be
 available to users of my code, I should then be required to state so
 explicitly.

 Just my opinion.
 Andrew Edwards
Sep 29 2004