digitalmars.D - Most important issues for D (MIID)

reply "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
In some delightful ways, D is a victim of its own success. There's a lot of
traffic in the D newsgroups, sometimes getting to 100 messages per day. Not
a day goes by without new proposals for features. It's simply beyond my
capacity to give these all the attention they deserve, or even to read them
all. I probably spend a minimum of 2 hours a day reading messages, and I
could easilly spend 12 hours a day at it, and accomplish nothing else.

Hence, I inadvertently overlook important issues. I know that this has been
frustrating to some people, and I apologize for it.

So I'd like to kick off this thread as an opportunity for all to post their
two Most Important Issues for D with respect to getting 1.0 done. By MIID, I
mean pragmatic things like:

1) compiler bugs
2) language shortcomings with no reasonable workarounds
3) issues that are fundamentally blocking projects from using or proceeding
with D
4) severe library faults

I don't mean things like:

1) D 2.0 issues
2) feature proposals like "It would be nice if ..."
3) minor irritants
4) philosophical issues
5) issues that have been beaten to death already <g>

If a thread here exists for the topic, a reference to that thread would be
nice rather than reproducing it.

It's time to prioritize and get us on a rational, sensible path for
releasing 1.0.
Sep 10 2004
next sibling parent "Matthew" <admin.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:

suggest it may be the most important thereof.
I'd suggest Eric and Kris write a discussion paper/proposal on this, which I'd
be happy to review/slag/bemoan, but I
think Kris is holidaying at the moment. Eric, if you want to make a start,
that'd be cool, or we can wait for the return
of our demure friend.

library when 1.0 launches: lean, efficient,
cohesive, low-coupling, discoverable, expressive, and without inconsistency.
Currently it is a scrappy, crappy,
embarassing mess (and I'm in no way exempting some of my own contributions).
We're going to start with an Exceptions
refactoring. Hopefully, that will be the start of several such
reviews/refactorings, and we'll eventually end up with
something grand.

"Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:cht9gl$20m8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean f4.ca> writes:
Issues that have affected me personally:

Partially broken TypeId's for pointers and structs.  Reference here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.bugs/1293

An access problem with private members in nested classes.  Reference here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.bugs/1189

Bug with stdargs used in multiple translation units.  Reference here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.bugs/1137

Beyond that, I think Eric's thread about module imports deserves some attention.
At the very least, I think it is important that every module that has a static
constructor has that constructor called on initialization (I think this was an
issue with private imports), and that module initialization order is correct
whenever appropriate.  I agree that if a module has no static constructor then
its order in initialization shouldn't matter.

Also, Matthew's mention of dlls, gc, and threading are all quite important,
though I haven't played with that stuff enough to know the issues very well.
And exceptions need to be sorted out, but Matthew is currently working on that.

"Sean Kelly" <sean f4.ca> wrote in message
news:chtckm$21uv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Beyond that, I think Eric's thread about module imports deserves some
attention.
 At the very least, I think it is important that every module that has a
static
 constructor has that constructor called on initialization (I think this
was an
 issue with private imports), and that module initialization order is
correct
 whenever appropriate.  I agree that if a module has no static constructor
then
 its order in initialization shouldn't matter.
This is fixed, will go out in next update.
Sep 10 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Joey Peters <Joey_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'll try to reproduce a bug.

1)

#class Array(T) {
#public:

#public:

#class StringTemplate(T) : Array!(T) {
#public:

#alias StringTemplate!(char) String;

#void main() {

It seems base classes don't like cast overloading so well. It doesn't crash the
compiler, it doesn't even output an error, it just happily quits. (actually I'm
not that high on what kind of emotions compilers have)

2)

This is more some kind of a feature request. I've found more bugs though I can't
seem to isolate them, so that would be pointles. Anyway, what I'd like to see is
that something like this would be possible:

#class Array(T) {
#public:

I can see it would be hard to add since it would be recursive. Though, maybe it
would be useful (especially for making a stl make sense) to somehow make it that
when the compiler finds a return type similar to a template construction, it
doesn't create the class from the template yet, rather he only does that once it
finds the function being called, keeping it from doing pointles recursion.

It's minor though ;) But it would make sense. You could make things like:

new String("file.exe").split('.').top();

more easily (actually that would be the only way, if you want to maintain
concistancy (?)). Whereas now you have to (from a more developed point of view):

String[] a = new String("file.exe").split('.');
String ext = a[a.length - 1];

or when you're smart, you could make split in the template, so you'd call it
String.split(new String()).top(), but that would look, I don't know, weirdish.
It's like making OO modular, where every member function of a class is also
member of the global namespace, but with left side arguments (bar from Foo can
be using in global as bar(foo_object)). Though this sometimes is a good thing,
you'd often want to be able to do both.

Anyway, not important ;)

3) I'm a rebel ;)

I agree that phobos should be better. A lot better. Maybe it should even be
recoded from scratch. I'm currently working on my own stl, dragonstl, which also
provides a minor wrapper around phobos. I mean, wrapping D in D? They should
totally drop things like printf, and they should try writing the whole thing in
pure D (it's capable). I would like to help with phobos but I don't think I'm
good enough, I can be volunteer idiot though.

-Joey

[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent h3r3tic <h3r3tic dev.null> writes:

<snip>
void foo()
{
     class Foo
     {
         int x;

void bar()
{
     class Foo
     {
         int y;
     }

     Foo f = new Foo;
     f.y = 5;
}

void main()
</snip>

<result>
foo.d(17): no property 'y' for type 'Foo'
</result>

<comment>
the class Foo declared in function foo somehow obscures the Foo class in
function bar. This should not be the case ;)
</comment>

it would be nice if array arithmetic operations were implemented in ANY
way so we can start using them

Keep up the good work !
Tom
Sep 10 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent clayasaurus <clayasaurus gmail.com> writes:

  this horrid error message "Error: undefined label bob" that doesn't
give filename or line number.

Walter wrote:
[...]

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 15:18:03 -0700, "Walter"
[...]

* compiler bug with volatile statements and templates: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D.bugs/1668 * any writef bug or stdarg bug. Is the following still a problem? http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/5757 I can't reproduce it on Windows. I've started shying away from writef because I don't trust it. Also I'd like to make sure the Linux support is on par with the Windows support. Last time I tried I had troubles recompiling phobos on Linux. Walter have you recompiled phobos from scratch with unittests on Linux recently? Does it pass? I seem to always have to clean up phobos before it gets close to working. See, for example, http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D/9119
Sep 10 2004
parent reply "BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI" <budi online.ie> writes:
Dear all,

I'm a beginner to C and C++. Yesterday i search over internet and found D
is easiest to learn than
the predeccessors and very comfortable for me. But several question makes
me a little doubt, please
help.

1. D can only run on Windows Console, i can not run it in pure DOS
Console. This is is something
very important since C and C++ can do that. How can i run it on embedded
system if it should require
windows ?
2. The executable file size is so big, test using "Hello World" program
around 97 kb and in linux it's bigger. Is that because D runs in
win32 console mode ? Even i use exe compressor, the size doesn't cut for
the half of the original
size instead.

Thank you. Keep up good working

Regards,

Budi
Sep 16 2004
Yes D is a very good language. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me, if you want. Send an email to arvutilaat at arvutilaat.net (where "at" if ofcourse) I have many junk mails coming to that mail address, so the subject line should be something like "D question", so I can recognise it. If you are a beginner to D, or to the programming I can help you. I have worked with D since this spring and have been programming C over 8 years and C++ over 4 or 5 years. And I am ready to answer some newbie questions. Ofcourse you can send questions to this forum. Here are many experts, who can help you, including Walter, the man who makes the D language and the dmd compiler.
1. D can only run on Windows Console, i can not run it in pure DOS
Console. This is is something
very important since C and C++ can do that. How can i run it on embedded
system if it should require
windows ?
Yes D works only in windows and linux for now. Maybe in the future more OS will be supported.
2. The executable file size is so big, test using "Hello World" program
around 97 kb and in linux it's bigger. Is that because D runs in
win32 console mode ? Even i use exe compressor, the size doesn't cut for
the half of the original
size instead.
That is because D likes to compile everything it can into it's exe (or ELF-linux) file, so no one should have problems running these files. For example if you make a program in Visul C, then by default it makes a smaller file, but it requires many dll-s. I have downloaded some programs from the internet and then spent hours searching the required dll files. So D files are bigger, but you should have less problems running them on other computers. Greetings, Martin. In article <opseeytqz4ukcpn4 telkomnetinstan>, BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI says...
[...]

next sibling parent Toaster <wb sapo.pt> writes:
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:22:05 +0000 (UTC), Martin
1. D can only run on Windows Console, i can not run it in pure DOS
Console. This is is something
very important since C and C++ can do that. How can i run it on embedded
system if it should require
windows ?
Yes D works only in windows and linux for now. Maybe in the future more OS will be supported.
Besides the OS support which hopefully will grow, isn't it true that D is being designed a language that can produce compiled code that doesn't depend on any OS, allowing, for example, to write a bootable program? I think that is what the original question was about.
Sep 16 2004
prev sibling parent reply Jens <Jens_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <cibpgd$2efk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Martin says...

2. The executable file size is so big, test using "Hello World" program
around 97 kb and in linux it's bigger. Is that because D runs in
win32 console mode ? Even i use exe compressor, the size doesn't cut for
the half of the original
size instead.
That is because D likes to compile everything it can into it's exe (or ELF-linux) file, so no one should have problems running these files. For example if you make a program in Visul C, then by default it makes a smaller file, but it requires many dll-s. I have downloaded some programs from the internet and then spent hours searching the required dll files. So D files are bigger, but you should have less problems running them on other computers.
If you use the DigitalMars C compiler (i.e. you write a console Hello World program in plain C) you get "only" 39 KB. I never experienced any dependency on any DLL, though, not even MSVCRT.DLL or CRTDLL.DLL. Strangely, D *does* use the C module for printf, doesn't it? Then why don't they have the same size? Regards, Jens
Sep 16 2004
next sibling parent Deja Augustine <deja scratch-ware.net> writes:
Jens wrote:

[...]

D automatically links phobos.lib. That's the cause for the extra bloat. But to be completely serious, what the hell kind of difference is 58kb going to make on todays machines? The only instance I can think of is if you were developing for a PDA, and even then a 100kb executable doesn't seem excessively bloated. -Deja
Sep 16 2004
prev sibling parent Regan Heath <regan netwin.co.nz> writes:
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:26:01 +0000 (UTC), Jens <Jens_member pathlink.com>
[...]

The difference in size IIRC is due to the garbage collector, in a D application the garbage collecting code is built into the executable. This extra size is a one off cost, I've heard it said that a larger application written in D will actually be smaller than the equivalent one in C. It is intended, but not yet possible (I believe) to completely disable the garbage collector, meaning that you can write a D application without one, this is what you'd do to write an embedded program that has size constraints. Ideally the GC would be part of the Operating System, if that were the case it would not be built into the application, could be more efficient, and would solve the problems that arise using a GC with DLL's etc. Regan -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Sep 16 2004
prev sibling parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI wrote:
<snip>
 1. D can only run on Windows Console, i can not run it in pure DOS
 Console.
Yes, because MS-DOS is a 16-bit system. D needs at least a 32-bit system, by design.
 This is is something very important since C and C++ can do that.
Walter didn't consider it worth putting in features to support legacy OSs. http://www.digitalmars.com/d/overview.html Features To Drop ... Support for 16 bit computers. No consideration is given in D for mixed near/far pointers and all the machinations necessary to generate good 16 bit code. The D language design assumes at least a 32 bit flat memory space. D will fit smoothly into 64 bit architectures.
 How can i run it on embedded system if it should require windows ?
<snip> Not sure what you mean by that.... Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Sep 16 2004
next sibling parent "BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI" <budi online.ie> writes:
 How can i run it on embedded system if it should require windows ?
<snip> Not sure what you mean by that....
Embedded here means that i want to put the application created with D into Flash ROM in Single Board Computer (SBC) or embedded computer, which of course has minimal size and memory to run, and most of SBC using 386 processor, which definitely using DOS 16 Bit for OS, unless we create our own OS or using linux embedded but will need some extra cost for additional memory and flash disk... Thanks Anyway ;) Budi
Sep 16 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Stewart Gordon schrieb:

 BUDI ARIEF GUSANDI wrote:
 <snip>

 1. D can only run on Windows Console, i can not run it in pure DOS
 Console.
Yes, because MS-DOS is a 16-bit system. D needs at least a 32-bit system, by design.
Someone got some DMD-made code work on DOS using a 32-bit DOS-extender, if i recall correctly.
 This is is something very important since C and C++ can do that.
Using advanced C++ on a 16-bit system looks like trouble to me, due to 64 kilobytes allocation unit maximum. GCC doesn't work on 16-bit systems either, yet there is DJGPP (using an extender), so if there is a recent DJGPP update, combining it with GDC would get you a DOS-compatible D compiler.
 How can i run it on embedded system if it should require windows ?
You can make it run under just about any 32-bit operating system, DOS extender being no exception. About the executable size: it comes from the basic libraries. You would need to rework them for an embedded system anyway, and i'm sure one can make the problem go away with it. On the other hand, i recall DJGPP generated executables were quite big, however the extender removes code size restrictions so you need not care any longer. :> -eye
Sep 24 2004