c++ - [bug(s)] More ICEs

reply "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
I'm getting lots more ICEs with DMC++ in a number of test programs for XSTL,
most of which give no information, beyond the "helpful" Windows process
crash dialog (which helpfully holds up the builds until someone clicks the
button). It seems that DMC++ can handle most of the techniques that the
other "modern" compilers can also handle when such techniques are presented
individually, but dies obtusely when presented with them in concert.

Is there no way to have DMC++ provide some kind of useful information when
it crashes, so as to assist us to assist you in fixing things? Otherwise,
all one is left with is the sense that DMC++ simply can't handle complex
techniques in combination, which is a bit of a shame.

Cheers

The Whinging Harbinger. ;-)
Dec 28 2005
parent reply "Walter Bright" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:dov94o$1cjm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm getting lots more ICEs with DMC++ in a number of test programs for
 XSTL,
 most of which give no information, beyond the "helpful" Windows process
 crash dialog (which helpfully holds up the builds until someone clicks the
 button). It seems that DMC++ can handle most of the techniques that the
 other "modern" compilers can also handle when such techniques are
 presented
 individually, but dies obtusely when presented with them in concert.

 Is there no way to have DMC++ provide some kind of useful information when
 it crashes, so as to assist us to assist you in fixing things? Otherwise,
 all one is left with is the sense that DMC++ simply can't handle complex
 techniques in combination, which is a bit of a shame.
What I do with an ICE is build the compiler with debug on, then run it under the debugger and see where it is dying, and proceed from there. This is why I need a reproducible example.
Dec 28 2005
parent "Matthew" <matthew hat.stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
[...]

Understood. I'll try and note which things cause it, and then when I've got this beastie complete I'll try and get you a set of examples where it happens. Cheers Matthew
Dec 28 2005