c++ - error message: Fatal error: out of memory on a 768 MB machine?

reply Japheth <mail japheth.de> writes:
hello,

I run DMC on a win98se machine which has 768 MB installed.
Because I thought 768 MB is more than enough for win98se I deactivated virtual
memory (Paging=off in [386Enh] of system.ini). After that step dmc complains
with "Fatal error: out of memory".

I assume it expects Win32 API GlobalMemoryStatus() to return a value != 0 in
field dwAvailPageFile? Why? Possibly this restriction is not necessary.

Japheth
Aug 30 2005
"Japheth" <mail japheth.de> wrote in message
news:df3cvg$icp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 hello,

 I run DMC on a win98se machine which has 768 MB installed.
 Because I thought 768 MB is more than enough for win98se I deactivated
virtual
 memory (Paging=off in [386Enh] of system.ini). After that step dmc
complains
 with "Fatal error: out of memory".

 I assume it expects Win32 API GlobalMemoryStatus() to return a value != 0
in
 field dwAvailPageFile? Why? Possibly this restriction is not necessary.
The compiler relies on the system having virtual memory for its implementation of precompiled headers. It's internal memory management is wrapped up in this even if precompiled headers are not being used.
Aug 31 2005
parent Japheth <mail japheth.de> writes:
Walter wrote:

 The compiler relies on the system having virtual memory for its
 implementation of precompiled headers. It's internal memory management is
 wrapped up in this even if precompiled headers are not being used.

Thanks for the info! Although I still cannot imagine why the size or existance of a swap file should be an issue for an application. Even a CreateFileMapping() function call with a hFile argument of -1 (in which case the docs say the object is "backed by the operating-system paging file") works fine if "virtual memory" is disabled in win9x.
Aug 31 2005