c++ - Fatal memoray allocation failure under win98SE at least...

reply "_" <mjoyl lineone.netX> writes:
I've been slowly learning a bit of C++ using DMC++ commandline version.
and have come across a very aggravating problem where the compiler appears
to fail to get the memory it asks for if I have certain moderate sized
applications running alongside like OutlookExpress 5.5 or browsers or TV app
and wxHatch IDE...

under wxHatch a sample dmc error line would be:

Fatal error: cannot map file 'C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\d_mars\wxprec.sym' at
0x91E00000

or trying to compile artprov wxWindows2.4.2 sample project gives
dmc -c -cpp -Ae -Ar -mn -D_WINDOWS -6 -a8 -Nc -c -H -HD..\..\d_mars -HO- -DW
XMSW
 -D__WIN32__ -D__WIN95__ -D__WXDEBUG__  -I..\..\include -I..\..\lib\_sc -I..
\..\
contrib\include -I..\../src/regex;..\../src/png;..\../src/jpeg;..\../src/zli
b;..
\../src/tiff  arttest.cpp -oarttest.obj
Fatal error: cannot map file '..\..\d_mars\wxprec.sym' at 0x91E00000
--- errorlevel 1

On a fresh reboot both previous compile attempts pass muster without a
hitch.
The value 0x91E00000 is always the value reported when ever this memory
allocation bug occurs. I have ooodles of physical RAM for the applications
and tasks running so that beyond win98SE's latent insistance on the
existence of a swap file... it is not required. 512M of RAM. This bug is
such a pain as I like to have newsgroups open and some reference WebPages
open too, and I do like to keep an IM prig running so I can be contacted...
but all this doesn't even touch virtual memory so why is DMC baulking by
demanding access to a specific memory location?

A solution or even a workaround would be a great help and no installing XP
is not something I am willing to consider just to use DMC++ other much
larger apps seem work together so why can't DMC?
Thanks in advance
Dec 27 2003
The compiler uses a huge, contiguous chunk of memory to do precompiled
headers. It will fail if no such chunk is available. In such cases, turn off
the precompiled header compiler switch -H.

"_" <mjoyl lineone.netX> wrote in message
news:bsl6qt$2054$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I've been slowly learning a bit of C++ using DMC++ commandline version.
 and have come across a very aggravating problem where the compiler appears
 to fail to get the memory it asks for if I have certain moderate sized
 applications running alongside like OutlookExpress 5.5 or browsers or TV
app
 and wxHatch IDE...

 under wxHatch a sample dmc error line would be:

 Fatal error: cannot map file 'C:\wxWindows-2.4.2\d_mars\wxprec.sym' at
 0x91E00000

 or trying to compile artprov wxWindows2.4.2 sample project gives
dmc -c -cpp -Ae -Ar -mn -D_WINDOWS -6 -a8 -Nc -c -H -HD..\..\d_mars -HO- -DW
 XMSW
  -D__WIN32__ -D__WIN95__ -D__WXDEBUG__  -I..\..\include -I..\..\lib\_sc -I
..
 \..\
[...]

Jan 01 2004
parent Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Walter wrote:

 The compiler uses a huge, contiguous chunk of memory to do precompiled
 headers. It will fail if no such chunk is available. In such cases, turn off
 the precompiled header compiler switch -H.
I guess... Or... limit/reduce the number of files that are included in the precompiled header file.
[...]

-- ManiaC++ Jan Knepper
Jan 02 2004