c++ - Scrolling up and down in MSDOS command window

reply "Antwan Williams" <antwan799 attbi.com> writes:
Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt window?
If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs through the
whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in the
immediate window?
Jan 30 2003
next sibling parent reply Jan Knepper <jan smartsoft.us> writes:
Which operating system are you using?
In Windows XP I have a command prompt configured with.
    Cursor Size: Small
    Display Options: Window
    Command History
        Buffer Size 999
        Number of Buffers 4

Font:
    Size: 8 x 12

Layout:
    Screen Buffer Size:
        Width: 80
        Height: 1024 (you can scroll SEVERAL pages back with this.
    Window Size:
        Width: 80
        Height: 48

HTH
Jan

Antwan Williams wrote:

 Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt window?
 If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs through the
 whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in the
 immediate window?
Jan 30 2003
parent "Antwan Williams" <antwan799 attbi.com> writes:
I have Windows 98.
news:3E39A5F8.7F195530 smartsoft.us...

 Antwan Williams wrote:

 Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt
window?
 If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs through
the
 whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in
the
 immediate window?
Jan 30 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent "KarL" <someone somewhere.org> writes:
	charset="iso-8859-1"

If you are using MS-DOS (and Windows Console and Unix),
the easiest way of redirecting your all printf and fprintf is to
add this in the beginning of your program:
freopen("wherestdoutgoes.txt", stdout);freopen("wherestderrgoes.txt", =
stderr);
This way, you can keep a record of all the text generated by your =
program
using printf(...) and fprintf(stderr, ...) including system errors.

You may chose to only redirect stderr only since stdout is for
normal screen output.

"Antwan Williams" <antwan799 attbi.com> wrote in message =
news:b1c24i$19g1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt =
window?
 If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs =
through the
 whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in =
the
 immediate window?
=20
=20
Jan 30 2003
prev sibling parent reply "Nic Tiger" <nictiger progtech.ru> writes:
I can simply redirect output to file and then view this file wherever you
want: Far, Notepad, etc.

To redirect file add "> filename"  (without quotes) at the end of command
line, e.g..:
  sc test.cpp > err.log

The same can be done for your own program:
  test.exe > exe.log

Nic Tiger.

"Antwan Williams" <antwan799 attbi.com> сообщил/сообщила в новостях
 Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt
window?
 If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs through
the
 whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in the
 immediate window?
Jan 30 2003
parent reply "KarL" <someone somewhere.org> writes:
Yes, but not for stderr

"Nic Tiger" <nictiger progtech.ru> wrote in message
news:b1cung$2jlu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I can simply redirect output to file and then view this file wherever you
 want: Far, Notepad, etc.

 To redirect file add "> filename"  (without quotes) at the end of command
 line, e.g..:
   sc test.cpp > err.log

 The same can be done for your own program:
   test.exe > exe.log

 Nic Tiger.

 "Antwan Williams" <antwan799 attbi.com> сообщил/сообщила в новостях
 Does anyone know how to scroll up and down in a MSDOS command prompt
window?
 If I print a list or my program has a lot of bugs in it and runs through
the
 whole screen, what can I do to see the all the errors that are not in the
 immediate window?
Feb 03 2003
next sibling parent reply "Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> writes:
Under Linux, you can do:

make  2>  err.log

for redirecting stderr to a file. ('1' for stdout). Too bad this does not
work in dos.
- Rajiv Bhagwat

news:b1nl8t$sre$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent Laurentiu Pancescu <plaur crosswinds.net> writes:
Rajiv Bhagwat wrote:
 Under Linux, you can do:

 make  2>  err.log

 for redirecting stderr to a file. ('1' for stdout). Too bad this does not
 work in dos.
 - Rajiv Bhagwat

AFAIK, it does work with CMD (WinNT/2k/XP) command shell. If not, one could use an alternative shell, like zsh from UnxUtils (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net). HTH, Laurentiu
Feb 04 2003
prev sibling parent "KarL" <someone somewhere.org> writes:
Sigh.....  The title says MS-DOS, please.... I know you are trying to be
helpful.

"Rajiv Bhagwat" <dataflow vsnl.com> wrote in message
news:b1nr7c$vub$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Feb 05 2003
prev sibling parent reply Larry Brasfield <larry_brasfield snotmail.com> writes:
In article <b1nl8t$sre$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
KarL (someone somewhere.org) says...
 Yes, but not for stderr
The cmd.exe shell redirects stderr when fed tokens as shown in the following session: C:\Work>dir NotAFilename 2>yap Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 5C76-EEA2 Directory of C:\Work C:\Work>type yap File Not Found C:\Work>dir NotAFilename >yap 2>&1 C:\Work>type yap Volume in drive C has no label. Volume Serial Number is 5C76-EEA2 Directory of C:\Work File Not Found C:\Work> If you are using command.com, then there is no hope of doing anything sensible with it. -- -Larry Brasfield (address munged, s/sn/h/ to reply)
Feb 05 2003
parent reply "Gisle Vanem" <gisle war.hell.no> writes:
"Larry Brasfield" <larry_brasfield snotmail.com>:

 If you are using command.com, then there is
 no hope of doing anything sensible with it.
Doesn't all DOS power-users use 4DOS? Is so it's easy: "command >&> file". -- Gisle V. Not what you think it is; http://www.nice-tits.org
Feb 05 2003
next sibling parent Heinz Saathoff <hsaat bre.ipnet.de> writes:
Gisle Vanem schrieb...

 Doesn't all DOS power-users use 4DOS? Is so it's easy:
 "command >&> file".
Not only on DOS. I use 4NT on NT4 and have 3 console windows open. It's still a very good tool. - Heinz
Feb 06 2003
prev sibling parent Larry Brasfield <larry_brasfield snotmail.com> writes:
In article <b1st1h$147o$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
Gisle Vanem (gisle war.hell.no) says...
 "Larry Brasfield" <larry_brasfield snotmail.com>:

 If you are using command.com, then there is
 no hope of doing anything sensible with it.
Doesn't all DOS power-users use 4DOS? Is so it's easy: "command >&> file".
I almost put in a plug for JP Software's CLI shells, but decided to stick to the subject. I find it easier on my brain to stick with the redirection syntax used by cmd.exe, (also accepted by 4NT), since from time to time I have to use some crippled system that lacks a decent shell. -- -Larry Brasfield (address munged, s/sn/h/ to reply)
Feb 06 2003