D - Installation and operation

reply Harry <Harry_member pathlink.com> writes:
I'm a newbie I mean a total newbie. I have read the book Accelerated C++,
(according
the advice of this group, very good book and even better advice, good boost)
played
around with Dev-C++ (exe. compiler going fine) trying to learn "D" . I
downloaded the
dmdalpha package, somehow I can't get things going.
Operating on win2k , asuming C: the root directory. Keeping on getting error's,
"can't  find
path ,  or can't read files ,or similer any help is appreciated in addvanced
Harry
"Harry" <Harry_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:avaq51$2l0k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm a newbie I mean a total newbie. I have read the book Accelerated C++,
 (according
 the advice of this group, very good book and even better advice, good
boost)
 played
 around with Dev-C++ (exe. compiler going fine) trying to learn "D" . I
 downloaded the
 dmdalpha package, somehow I can't get things going.
 Operating on win2k , asuming C: the root directory. Keeping on getting
error's,
 "can't  find
 path ,  or can't read files ,or similer any help is appreciated in
addvanced
 Harry
Are you running it from within a console window?
Jan 05 2003
parent reply Harry <Harry_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <avb524$2sku$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Harry" <Harry_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:avaq51$2l0k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'm a newbie I mean a total newbie. I have read the book Accelerated C++,
 (according
 the advice of this group, very good book and even better advice, good
boost)
 played
 around with Dev-C++ (exe. compiler going fine) trying to learn "D" . I
 downloaded the
 dmdalpha package, somehow I can't get things going.
 Operating on win2k , asuming C: the root directory. Keeping on getting
error's,
 "can't  find
 path ,  or can't read files ,or similer any help is appreciated in
addvanced
 Harry
Are you running it from within a console window?
Yes, I am. More interesting is , when I am just double clicking on an exe. it flashes which make me understand that it worked, and if it is a bigger app. I see it working of course I can't read it its a bit to fast, TIA
Jan 06 2003
parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <aedwards spamfreeamerica.com> writes:
Happy New Year to all!

Harry,

DMD is not an IDE. You need to use a text editor such as UltraEdit or
Notepad or a an actual IDE such as Microsoft Visual C++, Borland C++, or the
one provided with the commercial version of Digital Mars C++ to compose your
programs.  After composing you'll save it with a .d extension and go to the
command prompt where you will type dmd filename.d (replacing the filename
with your actual filename).

Before you do any of this though you need to properly configure the windows
environment variables to locate the bin folders in both the dm and dmd
directories.  Assuming you have extracted the dmd files into the C:\ root
directory, you now need to download the linker (aka Digital Mars C++) and
extract it into the same directory.  After this you need to right click on
my computers and choose properties, select the Advanced tab and choose
Environment Variables.  Down where it says System variables, you need to
double click on path. Go to the beginning of the block that says Variable
value: (ensure you do not delete anything from this block) by pressing the
Home key.  Then type the following:

c:\dmd\bin;c:\dm\bin;

The original content of that block should right after that second semicolon.

Now choose OK to close all properties windows.

And vwalla, you are now ready to be productive in D.

Regards,
Andrew

"Harry" <Harry_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:avc6hl$eql$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Thanks in addvanced, I tryed following your instructions, I enterd the line in
the begining
of the block without deleting the block. A few things works and a few don't.
Basiclly the
first thing what to do is to try to compile the sample code available " helle.d
" and take
from their, but if I can't compeile that I can't continue, that meens somthing
is worng . I'd
really appreciate somebody should help out.
I'm more than half done with my book. When I finish I want to start all over
again and side
by side for every example from C++ to rewrite in "D" (mabe 1 day a book will be
born
"Jump Start to D " ) LOL ) Well only with your help.( Well just resent I started
to play with
PC from Mac  the whole command line thing is a new thing for me but geting used
to it
Again TIA...
In article <avc9ii$gno$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Edwards says...
[...]

Jan 07 2003
parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <aedwards spamfreeamerica.com> writes:
Have you tried compiling the program from the directory it's in? Change
directory to c:\dmd\samples\d and type: dmd hello.d. This will compile the
program. Then just type hello to execute. If this doesn't work, copy and
submit the error message(s) that you receive.

Good luck,
Andrew

"Harry" <Harry_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:avghm2$2q21$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]
Jan 08 2003
parent reply Harry <Harry_member pathlink.com> writes:
I understand something is wrong over here, there most some misunderstanding from
my
side . What makes me think so is because your path you gave me doesn't match the
one I
have. I have like this ,
C:\program Files\dmdalpha\dm+dmd now the
dmd\bin+html+lib+samples+src. And the
dm\bin+lib
The second folder I downloaded is
dm\bin+html+lib+stl+v831(witch is the C++ compiler)
Thanks. Harry
In article <avhbk0$6pj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew Edwards says...
[...]

Jan 10 2003
parent reply "Andrew Edwards" <aedwards spamfreeamerica.com> writes:
Here's what you do Harry.

1) Move dmd+dm from dmdalpha folder to your c:\ directory. (Do not worry
about there already being a dm directory in c:\ because both are supposed to
be togather. If you are asked if you want to overrite a file, chose yes.)
2) Delete the dmdalpha directory.
3) Go to the environment variables and modify the path to read:
c:\dmd\bin;c:\dm\bin; followed by whatever was there before.
4) Change directory to c:\dmd\samples\d and type: dmd
hello.d. After compilation is complete, type hello and the program will
execute.

Andrew

"Harry" <Harry_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:avn44i$ihp$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I understand something is wrong over here, there most some
misunderstanding from
 my
 side . What makes me think so is because your path you gave me doesn't
match the
 one I
 have. I have like this ,
 C:\program Files\dmdalpha\dm+dmd now the
 dmd\bin+html+lib+samples+src. And the
 dm\bin+lib
 The second folder I downloaded is
 dm\bin+html+lib+stl+v831(witch is the C++ compiler)
 Thanks. Harry
Jan 11 2003
parent reply Harry <Harry_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks, so far so good.
In article <avpg2i$1vcp$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andrew
Edwards says...
[...]

Does this mean than all files have to be saved in the samples folder ? Or how do
I do it when I saved things in an other felder ?
In article
<avqnaj$2jjj$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Harry says...
[...]

Jan 13 2003
parent "Andrew Edwards" <aedwards spamfreeamerica.com> writes:
That was just to get you on the same page with me! You can save your file
anywhere, change directory to  whereever you saved that file and type: dmd
filename.d to compile and filename to execute.

Andrew

news:avvm9a$5v7$1 digitaldaemon.com...