D - Command line length?

reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Getting errors from DMD about the length of the command line when using
it with make.  Apparently the limit is 128 characters.  Is this some
inbuilt limitation or something that you could fix?  I can work around
it for now, since there's a library included in the linkstep that I
don't need at the moment, but this is going to become and obstacle
fairly quickly.

Evan
Nov 11 2002
parent reply Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Evan McClanahan wrote:

 Getting errors from DMD about the length of the command line when using
 it with make.  Apparently the limit is 128 characters.  Is this some
 inbuilt limitation or something that you could fix?  I can work around
 it for now, since there's a library included in the linkstep that I
 don't need at the moment, but this is going to become and obstacle
 fairly quickly.
This is a limitation of Digital Mars' make rather than DMD. But yeah, it would be nice if this limitation were lifted to, say, 4kb. For your prototype, you could use digc with a wildcard.
Nov 11 2002
parent reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Burton Radons wrote:
 Evan McClanahan wrote:

 Getting errors from DMD about the length of the command line when using
 it with make.  Apparently the limit is 128 characters.  Is this some
 inbuilt limitation or something that you could fix?  I can work around
 it for now, since there's a library included in the linkstep that I
 don't need at the moment, but this is going to become and obstacle
 fairly quickly.
This is a limitation of Digital Mars' make rather than DMD. But yeah, it would be nice if this limitation were lifted to, say, 4kb. For your prototype, you could use digc with a wildcard.
actually, it seems to be DMD (or is make what causes the problem with DMD?), since the make command still seems to be well within its limits. DMD is the command that's croaking. The big issue with digc is whether or not it's going to hose the SDL stuff that I'm using. I might have to stop using SDL in any case, though, so maybe it isn't an issue. Biggest issue with the whole development is art assets, rather than coding at the moment, so it's not a huge deal to not be able to go at full speed. Evan
Nov 12 2002
Evan McClanahan wrote:

 Burton Radons wrote:

 Evan McClanahan wrote:

[...]
It's make's internal limits; digc produces very long command lines for DMD (344 characters for dig itself). It passes command-line arguments that it doesn't understand directly to DMD, so it won't interfere with SDL.
Nov 12 2002
parent reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
digc worked for a while, but it was doing something that trapped all
printed output before it could be written out.  I'm using the shell
under emacs, though, so it's easy enough just to go up to the echoed
line and hit return twice.

Anyway, Walter, could you possibly release a make that can handle longer
command lines next time you release a dmd alpha?  Or at least tell us
how to get around this problem? Thanks.

Evan

Burton Radons wrote:
 It's make's internal limits; digc produces very long command lines for
 DMD (344 characters for dig itself).  It passes command-line arguments
 that it doesn't understand directly to DMD, so it won't interfere with SDL.

Nov 13 2002
Put a * before the dmd command in the makefile, as in:

    *dmd ....

news:aqu40f$20ol$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Burton Radons wrote:
 It's make's internal limits; digc produces very long command lines for
 DMD (344 characters for dig itself).  It passes command-line arguments
 that it doesn't understand directly to DMD, so it won't interfere with
SDL.

Nov 14 2002
parent reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Nope...  returns the error:

Error: Error reading file ' _CMDLINE.d'

no matter how I do it, either in the definition of $(DMD) or just
putting *dmd ....  on the action line of the make file.

Evan

Walter wrote:
 Put a * before the dmd command in the makefile, as in:

     *dmd ....
Nov 14 2002
You're right, I'll fix it.

news:ar0mkc$1ou6$1 digitaldaemon.com...