D - Tools

reply Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
What do you all use to edit D?  Although I'm fine with editing D without
all of the fancy extras, having a good set of GUI tools would sure help
speed up adpotion, I feel.  It might be putting the cart before the
horse, but it would be nice to at least have a D mode for emacs or vim.
I've looked a little at what it would take to make cc-mode in emacs
handle D, and I think that it would be possible without writing a
totally new mode(since cc-mode is what handles c++, java, and objective
c for emacs).  My elisp was never amazing, and now rust has been added
to that, so I'm not sure that I'm the man for the job, but if no one
else has the time, eventually, I'll get around to it.  Any thoughts on
integrating with other visual tools/IDEs?

Evan
Oct 04 2002
next sibling parent Jason Mills <jmills cs.mun.ca> writes:
I have uploaded a color syntax file for vim/gvim at www.vim.org.
It's not a "D mode" for vim, but at least D code can be edited in color.

Jason

prev sibling next sibling parent reply Curtis d'Entremont <038535d acadiau.ca> writes:
Evan McClanahan wrote:

 What do you all use to edit D?  Although I'm fine with editing D without
 all of the fancy extras, having a good set of GUI tools would sure help
 speed up adpotion, I feel.  It might be putting the cart before the
 horse, but it would be nice to at least have a D mode for emacs or vim.
 I've looked a little at what it would take to make cc-mode in emacs
 handle D, and I think that it would be possible without writing a
 totally new mode(since cc-mode is what handles c++, java, and objective
 c for emacs).  My elisp was never amazing, and now rust has been added
 to that, so I'm not sure that I'm the man for the job, but if no one
 else has the time, eventually, I'll get around to it.  Any thoughts on
 integrating with other visual tools/IDEs?

 Evan
Eclipse would be a perfect candidate for this. For those who don't know, Eclipse is an open source IDE platform by IBM, providing all the common functionality of IDEs but not being tied to a specific language. It's all plugin based. There is currently a Java plugin and C/C++ plugin, and D would be a nice addition once the language gets past the alpha stage. See http://www.eclipse.org Curt
Oct 30 2002
parent Evan McClanahan <evan dontSPAMaltarinteractive.com> writes:
Curtis d'Entremont wrote:
 Evan McClanahan wrote:

[...]

Looks interesting. Not a big Java fan, personally, but I'll download it and see how it looks. Evan
Oct 31 2002
prev sibling parent reply Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> writes:
Evan McClanahan wrote:
 What do you all use to edit D?  Although I'm fine with editing D without
 all of the fancy extras, having a good set of GUI tools would sure help
 speed up adpotion, I feel.  It might be putting the cart before the
 horse, but it would be nice to at least have a D mode for emacs or vim.
 I've looked a little at what it would take to make cc-mode in emacs
 handle D, and I think that it would be possible without writing a
 totally new mode(since cc-mode is what handles c++, java, and objective
 c for emacs).  My elisp was never amazing, and now rust has been added
 to that, so I'm not sure that I'm the man for the job, but if no one
 else has the time, eventually, I'll get around to it.  Any thoughts on
 integrating with other visual tools/IDEs?
I've used Visual Studio (C/C++ highlighting works fine generally), Visual SlickEdit (not recommended, as its undo feature is horrible - rather than pooling actions into discrete steps, you have to undo every little character that's changed. Ugh.), Vim, Anjuta, and that GNOME one. Anjuta works best. I'm working on an editor for a dig sample. The syntax highlighter (using D) is very quick but handles multi-line contextual blocks; asm {} is properly supported, for example. Err, and that's about all it does right now.
Oct 31 2002
next sibling parent reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
UltraEdit

http://www.UltraEdit.com

With custom syntax highlighting (most languages already defined).
Oct 31 2002
parent reply "Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> writes:
I prefered
http://www.editplus.com/index.html
and used to use
http://www.zeusedit.com
but find its got too bulky (was nice when it was just an editor).

"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:aps1f0$1ktu$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 UltraEdit

 http://www.UltraEdit.com

 With custom syntax highlighting (most languages already defined).
Oct 31 2002
next sibling parent Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
http://www.eclipse.org/

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/faq/eclipse-faq.html
"The Eclipse Platform is an open extensible IDE for anything and yet
nothing in particular. The Eclipse Platform provides building blocks
and a foundation for constructing and running integrated
software-development tools. The Eclipse Platform allows tool builders
to independently develop tools that integrate with other people's
tools so seamlessly you can't tell where one tool ends and another
starts."

http://portals.devx.com/ibm/Article/6884
"While the Eclipse project started with just a Java IDE, IBM and RedHat
jointly released a C/C++ IDE earlier this year. (Other vendors have
also built on the Eclipse platform.)"
Oct 31 2002
prev sibling parent Juarez Rudsatz <juarez nowhere.com> writes:
"Mike Wynn" <mike.wynn l8night.co.uk> wrote in news:aps4kg$1od0$1
 digitaldaemon.com:

 http://www.zeusedit.com
See also Textpad www.textpad.com
Oct 31 2002
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <midiclub 8ung.at> writes:
I would propose changing Bloodshed Dev-C++ / Bloodshed Dev-Pas to work
with D natively. It is completely open-source and is stable. It is
written in Delphi itself, but I bet there are plenty of you guys who
have Delphi experience here.

BTW, i guess Delphi can be viewed as a subset of D, not from a
syntactical point of view, but from a semantical. I mean, it would be
fairly straightforward to write a converter from Delphi into D. That
would also yield a working GUI library at once, for Windows as well as
for Unixes:

http://www.lazarus.freepascal.org/

-i. /MIDICLUB
Dec 29 2002
parent reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
The real way to promote D is to use the free, cross-platform, open-source
Eclipse IDE platform.

http://www.Eclipse.org

It has dozens of major corporate backers (IBM, Sun, QNX, Japanese companies).
It already supports Java to the Nth degree, and has reasonable C/C++ support
organized around the GNU tools, including the debugger.

The IDE itself is language-neutral and in principle supports any language.  I
think some folks have already done COBOL and FORTRAN.  Even OCaml has an Eclipse
project started on SourceForge.

The whole Eclipse system is built around two concepts, plugins and perspectives.
Perspective is just their fancy word for workspace layout.  The workspace is
very customizable.

There is a whole Eclipse API for plugins, far beyond the ugly old MSVC plugins.
Very flexible and extensible.  It was designed for plugins from the ground up,
not as an afterthought.  Plugins are what make the thing go.  There is a cottage
industry of plugins happening right now.  The days of custom vendor-specific
IDEs are coming to an end.

I'd like to see a full Digital Mars C/C++ plugin for Eclipse too.  Walter, you
could put that on your CD-ROM, and thereby still make money with IDE related
tools, but without the headaches of maintaining a whole IDE single handedly.

As for D, it too deserves an Eclipse plugin, complete with debug support.

Mark
Dec 29 2002
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:auot4s$191k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'd like to see a full Digital Mars C/C++ plugin for Eclipse too.  Walter,
you
 could put that on your CD-ROM, and thereby still make money with IDE
related
 tools, but without the headaches of maintaining a whole IDE single
handedly. Would you like to write it?
Dec 31 2002
parent reply Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
 I'd like to see a full Digital Mars C/C++ plugin for Eclipse too
Would you like to write it?
Actually yes - I have already given the idea serious thought. Right now I'm too much the newbie. After a few more weeks of experience we shall see. Eclipse is serving presently in a Java/XML consulting project. Once I get the hang of it I will try the current C/C++ support. The CDT as they call it (C/C++ support) is written in Java and works with the GNU suite -- GCC, GDB, and Make. The source code for the CDT is public license. Mark
Dec 31 2002
parent reply "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
"Mark Evans" <Mark_member pathlink.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:aut2m1$17df$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'd like to see a full Digital Mars C/C++ plugin for Eclipse too
Would you like to write it?
Actually yes - I have already given the idea serious thought. Right now
I'm too
 much the newbie.  After a few more weeks of experience we shall see.

 Eclipse is serving presently in a Java/XML consulting project.  Once I get
the
 hang of it I will try the current C/C++ support.  The CDT as they call it
(C/C++
 support) is written in Java and works with the GNU suite -- GCC, GDB, and
Make.
 The source code for the CDT is public license.

 Mark
Hi, If you want any help with it, I can write something. I'm a professional Java programmer, and use Eclipse as my working IDE. I'm too lazy to start a plugin project for Eclipse, but I can help if you start anything. Best regards, Daniel Yokomiso. "Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue?"
Dec 31 2002
Great! What I ask is that the plugin be freely redistributable, and come
with instructions, so I can just drop it in the distribution. -Walter

news:autedi$1db4$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Walter wrote:
 Great! What I ask is that the plugin be freely redistributable, and come
 with instructions, so I can just drop it in the distribution. -Walter
If these get too numerous, I could manage a page on www.opend.org. Here's how to mostly develop in D using MSVC 6.0: Open a single instance of MSVC - opening multiple instances can mess up any options changes. Go to Tools/Customize, under the Tools tab. Add an entry for making/running your project; I run go.bat files. Be sure to set the Initial Directory to $(WkspDir), or MSVC will run the program in the current working directory (assigned when using File/Open). I wouldn't check Use Output Window; it works, but if your program runs another program its output won't show up. Now close this and check out which number the tool has been assigned, and go back to the Tools/Customize menu under the Keyboard tab. Switch the Category to Tools, select the UserToolXX where XX is the tool number in the menu, and then click on the "Press new shortcut key" edit box. Hit whatever you want; I use Ctrl-~ (tilde). Be sure to click on Assign before closing the dialog. Now whenever you want a D project, do this. Create a Utility Project using File/New under the Projects tab. When you create D files, select "C++ Source File" in the File/New dialog, but give it a .d extension. This will highlight and edit like C++, which means some extraneous keywords are highlighted and some are not, but editing will be unaffected altogether. If the file gets kicked back into text mode, right click in the edit area and hit Properties, then change the Language dropbox to C/C++.
Jan 02 2003
next sibling parent Mark Evans <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
Thanks for the MSVC advice.  I own MSVC6sp5 but will never again upgrade my MS
tools.  I am tired of being yoked to the MS wagon.

Eclipse has the virtue of being totally cross-platform and language-agnostic, so
it's a better fit for D.

Mark
Jan 02 2003
prev sibling parent Juarez Rudsatz <juarez nowhere.com> writes:
Burton Radons <loth users.sourceforge.net> wrote in news:av0th2$914$1
 digitaldaemon.com:

 Walter wrote:
 Great! What I ask is that the plugin be freely redistributable, and come
 with instructions, so I can just drop it in the distribution. -Walter
Works Great ! But there is some tip for viewing strings ? In my watch they are showed as pointer adress. There is any way of showing object.property ? If I dont wanna step into phobos code should I recompile with no debug symbols ? Thanks Juarez Rudsatz
Jan 03 2003
prev sibling parent Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert eol.ca> writes:
In article <auot4s$191k$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Mark Evans says...
The real way to promote D is to use the free, cross-platform, open-source
Eclipse IDE platform.

http://www.Eclipse.org

It has dozens of major corporate backers (IBM, Sun, QNX, Japanese companies).
BZZZTT!! Wrong. I just checked. Sun is not there. Which really gets you thinking about the name of the organization, doesn't it :-). <snip> Guy Hulbert gwhulbert eol.ca
Jan 14 2003