D - Ideas, thoughts, and criticisms, part one

reply Antti =?iso-8859-1?Q?Syk=E4ri?= <jsykari cc.hut.fi> writes:
(Contents: praise, general issues, questions, "switch" statement and
nested comments raised from the dead, a terminology note and an idea of
explanative annotations in the "D" web reference. At least.)

Hello,

I've dreamt about designing a language like "D" lately - a language
which would

- fix the shortcomings of C without sacrificing its efficiency
- have good OO support, as well as support for useful object-oriented
  facilities such as contracts and assertions, and finally,
- have support for extensive metaprogramming facilities. ("Better
  macros" if you will.)

Now, I only needed the name for the language -- maybe "D" could be it?
I decided to check if there already was a language called D. Darn
indeed, there was. And it already had some of the things that I had
mind. Now that's convenient :-)

Ok, I read through the specification and I can say that I'm fairly
impressed - the language seems quite well thought out.

Things that were especially heart-warming were:

- properties like .size sounds like a lot cleaner version of sizeof,
  without cluttering the global namespace with keywords. Very good.

- contracts - oh yes! :)

- delegates - for someone trying to do this (an object which has a
  function reference and an object reference, and can be called) with
  C++, this is just brilliant.

- using .cmp() to implement comparison operators which in C++ are tedious
  or require template hackery. Cool.

More detailed feedback on all kinds of things, including but not limited
to (hopefully constructive!) critique, general ideas, feature
suggestions and detailed, annoying nitpickery, in no particular order,
follows.  There are quite a few references of the form "author:title",
which I have included at the end of the message.  The html files I
mention are taken relative to http://www.digitalmars.com/d/.

First of all, it is stated in overview.html:
	Modern compiler technology has progressed to the point where
	language features for the purpose of compensating for primitive
	compiler technology can be omitted.
Keeping this in mind, what would the function calling conventions be?

The C calling convention is to pass everything in the stack. Microsoft
uses a similar convention for Win32 functions with little changes
(msdn:calling_conventions) and they also have a __fastcall calling
convention, which passes values in the registers. Certainly passing
values in registers sounds fast and something you would like to do on a
modern system. So, what are the calling conventions used in D? They
are on their way to being standardized, right?

overview.html:
Who D is Not For:
	* Real time programming where latency must be guaranteed.
[and regarding other low-level tasks]

Do, for instance, operating system writers belong into the "Not For"
category?  Could D be used *without* garbage collection for real-time
and low-level tasks? Or just because someone doesn't like it? I don't
see why anyone should be _prevented_ for doing memory management
manually if he so desires, as smart pointers might be quite viable
alternative for that (see boost:smart)

I could see that D would be a nice replacement for C when doing
down-to-the-metal programming. But not if it enforces things like
garbage collection.

(Incidentally, garbage collection might not be *completely* out
regarding operating system kernels - check out russo:garbage)

lex.html:
	Comment:
	/* Characters */
	// Characters EndOfLine
	/+ Characters +/

	D has three kinds of comments:

	1. Block comments can span multiple lines, but do not nest.
	2. Line comments terminate at the end of the line.
	3. Nesting comments can span multiple lines and can nest.

The document doesn't actually state which is which (I assume that /* */
are the non-nesting and /+ +/ are the nesting comments). Why not make it
simpler and just include the normal /* */ and // comments, but so that
/* */ would be nesting? I think this has been done already by some
language. Non-nesting comments are, IMHO, an artifact of the seventies
and should be gotten rid of for good.

Now, the typical argument is that one wants D to be C/C++ compatible -
but this isn't really the case.  I'd say that if there is an opportunity
to fix it, why not fix it?

Is there any C/C++ programmer out there whose code would break if /* and
*/ suddenly started to nest? Would you even notice?  Hands up!  Anyone?

declaration.html:

The idea of breaking free of the C declaration syntax when it comes to
pointers is best thing that happened to imperative programming languages
since the invention of... umm... C. I congratulate thee for that. :-)

However, function pointer declarations are still a bit unclear for my
small mind.  Could you clarify be a bit... how are the function pointers
typedef'd/aliased?

// like in C?
typedef int (*FunctionPointer)(int);
// or like this?
typedef int (*)() FunctionPointer;

By the way, I think that having *both* C and D style definitions (both
"int[3] x" and "int x[3]" work) might be confusing. I'd prefer that
there be exactly one way to do a thing, so nobody would have to think
about which way to do it. Besides, it might make parsing more difficult
(or it might not - I'm not a context-free language expert).

(It's the same case for C++. You can say const int x; or int const x;
and whatever you do, you always confuse someone. That's not nice. Makes
a language seem clumsy and committee-designed.)

A terminology note - "bool" data type in expressions.html:

I take it that bit replaces bool as a data type (since it is not listed
in types.html), and therefore the use of "bool" in file expression.html
(such as "The result type of an AndAnd expression is bool") should be
replaced by "bit". Am I not right?

(Although I'm not sure if you'd want to replace "boolean values" with
"bitean values" ... :-)

Then a little rant about the infamous "switch" behavior:

About C compatibility and especially the switch fall-through behavior:
faq.html:
	Why fall through on switch statements?

	Many people have asked for a requirement that there be a break between
	cases in a switch statement, that C's behavior of silently falling
	through is the cause of many bugs.

	The reason D doesn't change this is for the same reason that integral
	promotion rules and operator precedence rules were kept the same - to
	make code that looks the same as in C operate the same. If it had subtly
	different semantics, it will cause frustratingly subtle bugs.

I think one needs to take a new perspective here.

I strongly believe that C compatibility is just not something worth
striving for. Why? There are a couple of reasons.

The first and foremost reason is:
0. Falling through is a special case you almost never see.  There is
just no point in doing that the default. C designers simply made a
mistake.  Isn't the point of making a new language to fix it?

Besides, good-mannered C programmer will anyway document the
fall-through case with a comment like "/* FALL THROUGH */". Why not make
the documentation part of the language and introduce a keyword
"fallthrough" to document the uncommon case? (or maybe just use
"continue") You have already provided the means to document the code
with assert() and pre- and postconditions - then why not fallthrough, if
it so badly needs documentation?

Because the previous reason is so obvious that everybody has become
blind to it, I'll present some more reasons:

1. Who needs the compatibility? The seasoned C hackers, you say. Not
everybody changes from C or C++ to D. In time, if D turns out to be a
success, we will see people learning D as their first language. And, if
we have the "fall through by default" semantics, they will _certainly_
encounter the mysterious "missing break" bugs C programmers have two
decades' experience of. And, I don't mean just newbies, since:

2. I believe that even seasoned C hackers make "missing break" mistakes.
Frequently. Everyone forgets the "break" from there sometimes. If it
were the other way round, it wouldn't happen. And that, if something,
causes frustratingly subtle bugs, and that will continue to be the case
forever if it doesn't get fixed now.

Question: Why make falling through a special case?

Answer: Because it _can_ _be_. And we can do that without introducing
subtle bugs:

3. The chance of introducing subtle bugs could be minimized by issuing
an error (or possibly a loud warning) for every "break;" encountered
inside the switch statement. (What would the break do there, anyway?)
Now the so-called "subtle" bugs would be introduced only if there were
no "break" statements inside the switch statement, which would
correspond to a rare case like this:

// Assume that the user has copy&pasted this from existing C/C++ code,
// and that we have "don't fall through by default" semantics:
f(int i) {
	switch (i)
	{
	case 1:
		doIfOne();
		// FALL THROUGH (at least the programmer assumed so)
	case 2:
		doIfOneOrTwo();
		// FALL THROUGH (at least the programmer assumed so)
	case 3:
		doIfOneOrTwoOrThree();
		// FALL THROUGH (at least the programmer assumed so)
	default:
		doAlways(); // this could as well be outside the switch
		// statement so there really shouldn't even be a 'default:'

Now, this isn't a case you would see every day, and I will even argue
that the bugs caused by this wouldn't be anything, and I mean _anything_
like subtle if the programmer had bothered to test his code even a
_bit_.  There should be a testcase which tests at least f(1), f(3) and
f(98728234).

But on the other hand, if he copy & pasted the snippet from C++ code and
then didn't bother to learn the new rules before starting to program,
and *still* failed to write the decent test cases, he deserves to be
screwed. And we can be happy since bad behavior got rightfully punished.
:-)

Now, the only argument you have on behalf on "fall through by default"
semantics is that Duff's Device (duff:device) relies on it, and you can
fix even that by adding fallthrough/continue keywords in every line of
it. I rest my case.

Finally, a meta-comment about the D reference at
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/:
The reference is in places a bit terse, stating mostly "what" instead of
"why".  For example when it comes to the nesting comments mentioned
earlier. Sometimes there are explanations, but mostly not.

I note that so far I've probably reasked the same questions that have
been asked several times and perhaps already thoroughly discussed in
this newsgroup. I'm sorry if I have done so, but I really haven't had
the time - at least yet :-) - to read all the articles.  I searched the
subjects for the most important keywords I have commented upon, though.

Anyway.

Maybe there is a need for an annotated reference (ā la
stroustrup,ellis:arm, which IMHO is a spendid book), which could include
a brief discussion on _why_ a certain feature is as it is, perhaps
equipped with references and maybe even links to messages in this
newsgroup. Nothing fancy, just the line of thought which has lead to a
certain decision. Of course, I understand that this takes time and
effort and might not be feasible.

Phew. That's enough for now. More will probably follow, in proper time.
I have still things to say at least about functions, data types, and
perhaps something about generics.

I'd be pleased to know what you think about these ideas.  If you feel
some of my suggestions annoying, impossible to implement, or downright
absurd, feel free to express so. Also, being aggressive should be
interpreted as being enthusiastic (you see, I'm young, innocent, and
still learning :-)

Antti.