D - null == 0

reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
Is there some reason why C++'s equivalence of NULL and 0 was considered not
a good idea?  In porting C++ to D, I end up having to change a lot of 0's to
null.

Just wondering if there's some reason for it or if it's just an oversight.
It would sure be convenient.

next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
It could be that it is much better for maintenance.

As in

if(monitor == null)    //    clearly a pointer/reference

if(monitor == 0)    // clearly integral

if(monitor)            // boolean (or should be!)

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:adu1ee$1fmj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is there some reason why C++'s equivalence of NULL and 0 was considered
not
 a good idea?  In porting C++ to D, I end up having to change a lot of 0's
 null.

 Just wondering if there's some reason for it or if it's just an oversight.
 It would sure be convenient.

parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
I don't know what maintenance programmers have against using browse info to
look up the declaration of a variable.  When I'm maintaining code I don't
like making that kind of assumption... I'll go look it up to make sure.

Since D doesn't have separate headers, and doesn't need forward declaration,
it keeps definitions closer to their usage point most of the time.  That
helps.

Sean

"Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
news:adu2ps$1gtv$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It could be that it is much better for maintenance.

 As in

 if(monitor == null)    //    clearly a pointer/reference

 if(monitor == 0)    // clearly integral

 if(monitor)            // boolean (or should be!)

 "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
 news:adu1ee$1fmj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is there some reason why C++'s equivalence of NULL and 0 was considered
not
 a good idea?  In porting C++ to D, I end up having to change a lot of
0's
 null.

 Just wondering if there's some reason for it or if it's just an
oversight.
 It would sure be convenient.

parent "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
What if you're using browse info? What if (as is common) you're reading the
code on the train between clients?

Surely if there's a way to make something definitive without an onerous
imposition (and here's where we will all debate endlessly) on the original
author, it's worth doing. Java is criticised and often quoted as an example
of an overly patriarchal language, but it is far simpler to maintain (at
least in the regard in which we are discussing) than other languages - Java
just sucks for a lot of other reasons.

"Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:adu3f4$1hh4$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

The idea is that there are some cases where the null pointer might not be 0. I remember this issue from the early C days. The other idea is for type safety, i.e. making it clear you're dealing with a null reference rather than a numerical 0.
Jun 08 2002
next sibling parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> writes:
null != 0 - I like that idea (though don't know why yet ...)

type-safety - I like that very much. Very wise. Does this mean that
conditional expressions involving pointers will have to be boolean, ie if(p
!= null) rather than if(p) ?

news:aduk1j$216b$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> wrote in message
 news:adu1ee$1fmj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Is there some reason why C++'s equivalence of NULL and 0 was considered
not
 a good idea?  In porting C++ to D, I end up having to change a lot of
0's
 null.

 Just wondering if there's some reason for it or if it's just an
oversight.
 It would sure be convenient.
The idea is that there are some cases where the null pointer might not be
0.
 I remember this issue from the early C days.

 The other idea is for type safety, i.e. making it clear you're dealing
with
 a null reference rather than a numerical 0.
Jun 08 2002
next sibling parent "Sean L. Palmer" <seanpalmer earthlink.net> writes:
That's the thing...  it's a lot more typing.  Three more characters.  hehehe

Sean

"Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
news:adum9g$23bh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Jun 09 2002
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Matthew Wilson" <dmd synesis.com.au> wrote in message
news:adum9g$23bh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Very wise. Does this mean that
 conditional expressions involving pointers will have to be boolean, ie
if(p
 != null) rather than if(p) ?
I haven't bought into that yet <g>. I guess I like the shorthand too much.
Jun 09 2002