D - Newbie

reply "Anderw" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
I am a Newbie in every since of the word when it comes to programming!  I
would love to develop a solid foundation with a reliable compiler.  Having
read a few newsgroup postings on C++, it's apparent that the language leaves
much to be desired. Then I stumble onto D which promises? many improvements
over C++.  How best should a "complete" novice approach this language and
where would one turn for help when necessary.  Additionally, I noticed that
current version of D available is an alpha version that wasn't intended for
use beyond 1999. Is there a beta version intended for the near future?

Andrew
May 31 2002
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Anderw" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ad9kvv$1c1n$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am a Newbie in every since of the word when it comes to programming!  I
 would love to develop a solid foundation with a reliable compiler.  Having
 read a few newsgroup postings on C++, it's apparent that the language
leaves
 much to be desired. Then I stumble onto D which promises? many
improvements
 over C++.  How best should a "complete" novice approach this language and
 where would one turn for help when necessary.
While D is a far better language to learn on than C++, there are currently a river of helpful books and materials to teach you C++, and very little for D beyond this newsgroup.
  Additionally, I noticed that
 current version of D available is an alpha version that wasn't intended
for
 use beyond 1999. Is there a beta version intended for the near future?
I don't know of any y2k bugs in the compiler, but all that proves is the test suite is inadequate <g>.
May 31 2002
parent reply "Anderw" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
  Additionally, I noticed that
 current version of D available is an alpha version that wasn't intended
for
 use beyond 1999. Is there a beta version intended for the near future?
I don't know of any y2k bugs in the compiler, but all that proves is the test suite is inadequate <g>.
I'm not implying that the compiler has y2k bugs. I'm simply observing a statement made by the license that accompanies the compiler which reads as follows: "The Software is not generally available software. It as not undergone testing and may contain errors. The Software was not designed to operate after December 31, 1999." . . . The full document is attached! begin 666 license.txt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` end
"Anderw" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ad9rol$1m40$1 digitaldaemon.com...
  Additionally, I noticed that
 current version of D available is an alpha version that wasn't
intended
 for
 use beyond 1999. Is there a beta version intended for the near future?
I don't know of any y2k bugs in the compiler, but all that proves is the test suite is inadequate <g>.
I'm not implying that the compiler has y2k bugs. I'm simply observing a statement made by the license that accompanies the compiler which reads as follows: "The Software is not generally available software. It as not undergone testing and may contain errors. The Software was not designed to operate after December 31, 1999." . . . The full document is attached!
It's just a disclaimer. If it bothers you, don't use it!
Jun 01 2002
next sibling parent reply "Andrew" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
 It's just a disclaimer. If it bothers you, don't use it!
Walter: please be assured I had no intentions of insulting your ego or hurt your pride in any way. I am simply enthused about starting out programming with the best tool available and am seeking some professional opinions on the likelihood of being successful if I start with this language. Please stop attacking me on such trivial details. If you think I am a moron, which you obviously do, just ignore my postings, but thus far you have not helped in any way. Just be happy that you were able to create something that a complete novice is interested in learning over a more established language. Thank you in advance!
Jun 01 2002
parent reply "anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> writes:
I do not want to detract your attention from the user-friendly ness of D but
perhaps a learning language such as Basic (Qbasic, Visual Basic) would be
more adequate to your needs. The disadvantage of basic is that It's more
difficult to do advanced things in it.

On the other hand you can probably pick up a C++ book and use that to learn
D, though you won't find a D book. You could use this news group to fingure
out the differnces. Furthermore many people have learnt C before tackling
C++.

news:adadnt$a86$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Ewwww. No. To give a quote... "It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." -Dijkstra (having said that however I must note that I first learned to programme in BASIC on the ZX Spectrum many many years ago, though I have been doing mostly assembler, oomic, C and java since then).
 On the other hand you can probably pick up a C++ book and use that to
 learn D, though you won't find a D book. You could use this news group to
 fingure out the differnces. Furthermore many people have learnt C before
 tackling C++.
As you, Andrew, are a beginner I would advise learning either C or Java. By the time you have got the syntax and conventions fully understood (2 to 8 months depending on your level of experience, time put into learning and practice, etcetera), then D should be in Beta version (hopefully) and the transition to the new syntax should be relatively painless. Of course you could try learning with D but at the moment it is still a bit of a moving target - though I would expect few, if any, major changes at this point.
 "Andrew" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
 news:adadnt$a86$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 It's just a disclaimer. If it bothers you, don't use it!
Walter: please be assured I had no intentions of insulting your ego or hurt your pride in any way. I am simply enthused about starting out programming with the best tool available and am seeking some professional opinions on the likelihood of being successful if I start with this language.
I think it was a case of ask a silly question ... In my opinion the license looks as if it has been tacked on from something else just due to the need for a licence - most of the documentation around the D project needs updating, and the licence appears to be one of the main things (I am surprised to find anyone bothering to read the license anyway) - the trouble is we are here to express our opinions in the design of the D programming language, documentation and licencing is rather a side issue compared to getting a good working compiler.
 Please stop attacking me on such trivial details. If you think I am a
 moron, which you obviously do, just ignore my postings, but thus
 far you have not helped in any way. Just be happy that you were
 able to create something that a complete novice is interested in
 learning over a more established language.
If you are going to post on a usenet style news group you are bound to get flamed every now and then, but compared to others this group is fairly benign - just try posting something off topic in comp.lang.c for an unfriendly response :-) The problem with learning D without prior knowledge of other programming languages is that there is a lack of documentation, if you want to go ahead an learn it that is good. However, the documentation is sometimes inconsistant with the compiler - I am sure that if you have any queries about the language itself the people in this group will help, and an overview of errors and poorly explained details in the documentation from someone without programming experience, I believe, would be helpful. When you have been programming for many years many of these things seem obvious, though that is no always so for a novice. C 2002/6/1
Jun 01 2002
next sibling parent reply C.R.Chafer <blackmarlin nospam.asean-mail.com> writes:
And just to illustrate my point here is an example of bad/silly
documentation from a company which has been around long enough to know
better...

"The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants;
instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the
variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead
of the longer form of the constant.
This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change."
- FORTRAN manual for Xerox computers

'should the value of pi change' - yes, like that is really going to happen
:-)

C 2002/6/1
"C.R.Chafer" <blackmarlin nospam.asean-mail.com> wrote in message
news:adapdp$nvt$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to constants;
 instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every appearance, the
 variable PI can be given that value with a DATA statement and used instead
 of the longer form of the constant.
 This also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi
change."
 - FORTRAN manual for Xerox computers

 'should the value of pi change' - yes, like that is really going to happen
 :-)
Oh, I think that is just a little joke inserted in by the manual writer to see if his boss was proofreading it <g>. In a job I had many years ago, I wrote a 300 step test procedure for a mechanical device. The last step was "now it's miller time". My boss complained about it, I countered by saying I was just checking that the proofreader was doing his job <g>.
Jun 01 2002
prev sibling parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"C.R.Chafer" <blackmarlin nospam.asean-mail.com> wrote in message
news:adaov6$nkp$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Ewwww. No. To give a quote...

 "It is practically impossible to teach good programming style to students
 that have had prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are
 mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration."
 -Dijkstra
Modern BASIC dialects (VB, Rapid-Q, XBasic etc) have almost nothing to do with the '70 old-style BASIC.
Jun 02 2002
prev sibling parent reply "Andrew" <crxace13 comcast.net> writes:
I'd like to thank both Anderson and C.R.Chafer for your responses.  And now
that I have a better idea of where to begin, I'm off to a bookstore to pick
up something from the C++ section! Any suggestions?

"anderson" <anderson firestar.com.au> wrote in message
news:adahc3$g9g$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

news:adc2vk$23ad$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I'd like to thank both Anderson and C.R.Chafer for your responses.  And
now
 that I have a better idea of where to begin, I'm off to a bookstore to
pick
 up something from the C++ section! Any suggestions?
Sure. www.digitalmars.com/ugr/chapter1.html
Jun 02 2002
parent andy <acoliver apache.org> writes:
I like this: http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/C/

-Andy

prev sibling parent user domain.invalid writes:
Andrew wrote:
 I'd like to thank both Anderson and C.R.Chafer for your responses.  And now
 that I have a better idea of where to begin, I'm off to a bookstore to pick
 up something from the C++ section! Any suggestions?
Yes, 1.) Want to become an expert in C++? buy 'The C++ Progrqamming Language' from Bjarne Stroustrup. 2.) Just want to have a jumpstart into C++ programming buy 'Accelerated C++' by Andrew Koenig & Barbara E. Moo.
Jun 02 2002
prev sibling parent andy <acoliver apache.org> writes:

 It's just a disclaimer. If it bothers you, don't use it!

Or just set your computers clock back ;-)
Jun 01 2002
prev sibling parent "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> writes:
"Anderw" <crxace13 comcast.net> wrote in message
news:ad9kvv$1c1n$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am a Newbie in every since of the word when it comes to programming!  I
 would love to develop a solid foundation with a reliable compiler.  Having
 read a few newsgroup postings on C++, it's apparent that the language
leaves
 much to be desired. Then I stumble onto D which promises? many
improvements
 over C++.  How best should a "complete" novice approach this language and
 where would one turn for help when necessary.  Additionally, I noticed
that
 current version of D available is an alpha version that wasn't intended
for
 use beyond 1999. Is there a beta version intended for the near future?

 Andrew
I would start with Java instead of C++. Although I am more of a C++ fan than a Java fan myself, it is pretty widely accepted that Java is easier to learn. Things like string/array-handling and garbage collection are making Java a much more easy language to start with. Memory management is not easy, and one of the biggest source of bugs in C/C++ programs. Furthermore C++ relies pretty heavily on pointers. Learning C++ is like a jump in the deep end. If you survive, you will probably be able to cope with anything... :) Also, D's feature set is a lot more like Java then like C++, and the syntax for all three languages is pretty similar, so that is why I would favour Java if your objective was to learn D as fast as possible. -- Stijn OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com http://OddesE.cjb.net _________________________________________________ Remove _XYZ from my address when replying by mail
Jun 16 2002