D - How to resolve "cch" ambiguity

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
When lexically parsing D, how do you decide if the string "cch" is an
identifer (possible type, function, or variable name) or the hex value
0xcc?

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Apr 11 2002
We might want to debate whether "hex suffix" even makes sense.  Frankly,
I've found hex suffixes make it really hard to tell (at a glance) that the
thing is a number and not an obscure variable name.

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
 When lexically parsing D, how do you decide if the string "cch" is an
 identifer (possible type, function, or variable name) or the hex value
 0xcc?
'cch' is an identifier. '0cch' would be a hex value.
Apr 11 2002
 When lexically parsing D, how do you decide if the string "cch" is an
 identifer (possible type, function, or variable name) or the hex value
 0xcc?
'cch' is an identifier. '0cch' would be a hex value.
But it doesn't have to start with 0, right? I was looking at math2.d line 1299 (still from version 0.25, iirc), and it has the constant 1A2h which I understood to mean 0x1A2 right? -- The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Apr 11 2002
parent reply Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
Russ Lewis wrote:
 Walter wrote:

When lexically parsing D, how do you decide if the string "cch" is an
identifer (possible type, function, or variable name) or the hex value
0xcc?
'cch' is an identifier. '0cch' would be a hex value.
But it doesn't have to start with 0, right? I was looking at math2.d line 1299 (still from version 0.25, iirc), and it has the constant 1A2h which I understood to mean 0x1A2 right?
I think it has to start with a digit for the parser's benefit; the leading zero is only necessary if the hex representation leads with an alpha character. Though what was wrong with good old 0xCC, I don't know. --the other other Russell
Apr 11 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3CB64AC1.8010402 estarcion.com...

 I think it has to start with a digit for the parser's
 benefit; the leading zero is only necessary if the
 hex representation leads with an alpha character.
It seems so. By the way, it is exactly how assemblers with Intel syntax parse hex numbers: 1000h - correct A000h - invalid 0A000h - correct
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a95mdc$7ak$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
 news:3CB64AC1.8010402 estarcion.com...
 I think it has to start with a digit for the parser's
 benefit; the leading zero is only necessary if the
 hex representation leads with an alpha character.
Yes.
 It seems so. By the way, it is exactly how assemblers with Intel
 syntax parse hex numbers:
     1000h    - correct
     A000h    - invalid
    0A000h    - correct