D - Make Function Pointers Like Delegates: funcptr Keyword

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
Let's bite the bullet and require a funcptr keyword for all function
pointers:

    int funcptr(int x,int y) myFunctionPointer;

I know, I know, it's hard for all us old C guys to change...but let's
admit it - the old syntax never really worked.  Let's just get it over
with, admit our collective stupidity, and start using a keyword so that
things are actually readable.

I know that the first time I saw a declaration like

    typedef unsigned short (* __pascal Hook_t)(char __far *,unsigned
short,unsigned short);
        (actual line from winc.h)

It wasn't even remotely clear what was being declared.  At least, with a
funcptr keyword, newbies (and quick readers) have a chance...

--
The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Apr 06 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 It wasn't even remotely clear what was being declared.  At least, with a
 funcptr keyword, newbies (and quick readers) have a chance...
I guess, since delegates work with static functions as well, they just superseed C-style function pointers, which are left for compatibility with C and API. After all, if you use a function pointer, you can't be sure if somebody will want to use method of class as a callback, so you'll end up declaring it as a delegate after all...
Apr 06 2002
 It wasn't even remotely clear what was being declared.  At least, with a
 funcptr keyword, newbies (and quick readers) have a chance...
I guess, since delegates work with static functions as well, they just superseed C-style function pointers, which are left for compatibility with C and API. After all, if you use a function pointer, you can't be sure if somebody will want to use method of class as a callback, so you'll end up declaring it as a delegate after all...
I'm not against doing this...but if we're going to have one keyword for both, I think that "funcptr" is better than "delegate" since it is more widely known. -- The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Apr 06 2002
parent reply "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> writes:
 It wasn't even remotely clear what was being declared.  At least, with
 funcptr keyword, newbies (and quick readers) have a chance...
I guess, since delegates work with static functions as well, they just superseed C-style function pointers, which are left for compatibility with C and API. After all, if you use a function pointer, you can't be sure if somebody will want to use method of class as a callback, so you'll end up declaring it as a delegate after all...
I'm not against doing this...but if we're going to have one keyword for
both,
 I think that "funcptr" is better than "delegate" since it is more widely
 known.
I agree with you that function pointers are quite unreadable in C/C++. I think your idea of a keyword for function pointers is a very good one. I support delegate instead of funcptr though, because I don't like abbreviations. Also functions that are part of a class are often called methods. Delegate seems like a good combination of the concept pointer to method or function. However, it seems that Walter is thinking of ditching the whole keyword altogether, instead accepting pointers to methods as well as pointers to functions with the same notation as in C/C++? -- Stijn OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com http://OddesE.cjb.net _________________________________________________ Remove _XYZ from my address when replying by mail
Apr 07 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 method or function. However, it seems that Walter
 is thinking of ditching the whole keyword altogether,
 instead accepting pointers to methods as well as
 pointers to functions with the same notation as in
 C/C++?
I didn't remember Walter saying something like that!?
Apr 07 2002
parent reply "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a8po42$25s8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 method or function. However, it seems that Walter
 is thinking of ditching the whole keyword altogether,
 instead accepting pointers to methods as well as
 pointers to functions with the same notation as in
 C/C++?
I didn't remember Walter saying something like that!?
He said this: "It really is just an enhanced "pointer to function", so it should declare in a manner similar to pointer to function. I thought of using another special character to replace the * in pointer to function, but that got too wierd looking <g>. I considered *., but that looked too confusing with C++ pointers to members." in his last answer on your thread "New D site": a8ggfq$cdp$1 digitaldaemon.com So that is where I got it from... I should have said "with the same notation as in D" though... :) -- Stijn OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com http://OddesE.cjb.net _________________________________________________ Remove _XYZ from my address when replying by mail
Apr 07 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:a8q1bi$2kph$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 "It really is just an enhanced "pointer to function",
 so it should declare in a manner similar to pointer to
 function. I thought of using another special character
 to replace the * in pointer to function, but that got
 too wierd looking <g>. I considered *., but that looked
 too confusing with C++ pointers to members."
I thought that was the explanation of why he chose the "delegate" keyword over the traditional C way? Walter, could you pleeease make it clear? Are you going to use the "delegate" syntax or not?
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a8q2jf$2lv3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "OddesE" <OddesE_XYZ hotmail.com> wrote in message
 news:a8q1bi$2kph$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "It really is just an enhanced "pointer to function",
 so it should declare in a manner similar to pointer to
 function. I thought of using another special character
 to replace the * in pointer to function, but that got
 too wierd looking <g>. I considered *., but that looked
 too confusing with C++ pointers to members."
I thought that was the explanation of why he chose the "delegate" keyword over the traditional C way? Walter, could you pleeease make it clear? Are you going to use the "delegate" syntax or not?
For the declaration, I'm planning on using "delegate".
Apr 07 2002