D - Mysterious Code

reply "Payam" <payamchee yahoo.com> writes:
the following program works correctly except that it prints out "Error:
Access Violation" upon exiting.
The program computes the GCD of two numbers, x and y
import c.stdio;

int main(char [][] args)
{
    short  x, y;
    printf("Enter x y:\n");
    scanf("%d", &x);
    scanf("%d", &y);
    printf("gcd(%d, %d) = %d\n", x, y, gcd(x, y));
    return 0;
}

// Euclidean algorithm for computing GCD
short gcd(short x, short y)
{
    short r;
    if(y > x)
    {
        r = x;
        x = y;
        y = r;
    }
    while(y > 0)
    {
        r = x % y;
        x = y;
        y = r;
    }
    return x;
parent reply "Immanuel Scholz" <digitals-mars kutzsche.net> writes:
"Payam" <payamchee yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:a6jrgj$4qs$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 the following program works correctly except that it prints out "Error:
 Access Violation" upon exiting.
 The program computes the GCD of two numbers, x and y
 import c.stdio;

 int main(char [][] args)
 {
     short  x, y;
     printf("Enter x y:\n");
     scanf("%d", &x);
     scanf("%d", &y);
     printf("gcd(%d, %d) = %d\n", x, y, gcd(x, y));
%d expect long.
     return 0;
 }

 // Euclidean algorithm for computing GCD
 short gcd(short x, short y)
gcd returns short. This is the reason, printf should be banished from phobos... no type safety... Imi
Mar 12 2002
parent reply "Payam" <payamchee yahoo.com> writes:
ah crap. that a most certainly a dumb mistake to use shorts... erm. ok.

but this DOES point to a larger issue:
D should have a printf function because it's such a universal function BUT
it should have another, "standard" way to output text to the console that IS
typesafe. EG: cout << or println & print with a ~ operator that calls the
toString operator of a class. e.g.:
println("The object foo is currently has value " ~ foo);

and the ~ between the string and foo would first call foo.toString() and
then concatenate it to the string. I think this would be a powerful addition
to the language.

"Immanuel Scholz" <digitals-mars kutzsche.net> wrote in message
news:a6l07l$kh7$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Payam" <payamchee yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:a6lf5u$r0m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ah crap. that a most certainly a dumb mistake to use shorts... erm. ok.

 but this DOES point to a larger issue:
 D should have a printf function because it's such a universal function BUT
 it should have another, "standard" way to output text to the console that
IS
 typesafe. EG: cout << or println & print with a ~ operator that calls the
 toString operator of a class. e.g.:
 println("The object foo is currently has value " ~ foo);
This was discussed thousands of times, I believe =) The problem is, language currently doesn't have any mechanism to allow for typesafe and easy-to-use input/output mechanism. One solution could be operator overloading and a pair of special operators, "input" and "output". Other approach would be to use variants and paramarrays, to implement something like BASIC "PRINT" or Pascal "Write".
 and the ~ between the string and foo would first call foo.toString() and
 then concatenate it to the string. I think this would be a powerful
addition
 to the language.
This works for objects; and what if foo is an int, for example? Also, ~ concatenates arrays, NOT strings. So, in your case, I guess foo will be converted to char (if it is possible), and concatenated with the string as such...
Mar 12 2002
parent Immanuel Scholz <news kutzsche.net> writes:
Pavel Minayev wrote:
 "Payam" <payamchee yahoo.com> wrote in message
 news:a6lf5u$r0m$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 ah crap. that a most certainly a dumb mistake to use shorts... erm.
 ok.

 but this DOES point to a larger issue:
 D should have a printf function because it's such a universal
 function BUT it should have another, "standard" way to output text
 to the console that
IS
 typesafe. EG: cout << or println & print with a ~ operator that
 calls the toString operator of a class. e.g.:
 println("The object foo is currently has value " ~ foo);
Hm. I like the idea... its pragmatic, its simple and its typesafe... (and its 99% of what you need in a debug-enviroment. Maybe calling it "toDebugString()" to clearify its usage? ;-) built-in exceptions can take advantage of this too, just like in Java.
 This was discussed thousands of times, I believe =)
 The problem is, language currently doesn't have any mechanism to
 allow for typesafe and easy-to-use input/output mechanism. One
 solution could be operator overloading and a pair of special
 operators, "input" and "output".

 Other approach would be to use variants and paramarrays, to
 implement something like BASIC "PRINT" or Pascal "Write".
I have another idea: If global-function-overloading is allowed (and I assume it is), you can write this magic "toString" by yourself, defining a set of global functions like: char[] toString(int); char[] toString(char[]); char[] toString(double); char[] toString(MyClass); char[] toString(MyClass* c) {return toString(*c);} // as example char[] toString(int); And best: no extension to the language is needed... Imi
Mar 12 2002