D - Array slicing Associative and Rectangular arrays?

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
* Can you array slice associative arrays?  IMHO, this is an almost
must-have feature...but be careful, Pavel (playful grin), because it
won't look right to have end-exclusive syntax here, either
* What happens if you array slice a rectangular array and try to set it
"by reference" to another array?
    int[5][5] start = ....;
    int[3][3] copyByValue,copyByReference;

    copyByValue[] = start[1..4][1..4];    // doesn't seem like too much
trouble,
                                                        // copies the
values over
    copyByReference = start[1..4][1..4];    // how in the world do you
do this?
--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Feb 18 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 * Can you array slice associative arrays?  IMHO, this is an almost
 must-have feature...but be careful, Pavel (playful grin), because it
 won't look right to have end-exclusive syntax here, either
How exactly do you slice an associative array? With item indices? Then the same rules would apply as for normal arrays, including end-exclusive syntax...
 * What happens if you array slice a rectangular array and try to set it
 "by reference" to another array?
     int[5][5] start = ....;
     int[3][3] copyByValue,copyByReference;

     copyByValue[] = start[1..4][1..4];    // doesn't seem like too much
 trouble,
                                                       // copies the
 values over
     copyByReference = start[1..4][1..4];    // how in the world do you
 do this?
I believe there's no such thing as "rectangular slice" in D. start[1..4] is an array of 3 elements of type int[5]. Now you slice it once again with [1..4] and get an out-of-range exception because there's no element with index 3. You could, however, slice it as start[1..4][1..3], which is absolutely the same as start[2..3].
Feb 18 2002
 * Can you array slice associative arrays?  IMHO, this is an almost
 must-have feature...but be careful, Pavel (playful grin), because it
 won't look right to have end-exclusive syntax here, either
How exactly do you slice an associative array? With item indices? Then the same rules would apply as for normal arrays, including end-exclusive syntax...
This is kind of what I'm thinking about: class Book {...}; Book[] booksOnShelf; ... Book[] booksToCheckOut = booksOnShelf["Anne of Green Gables" .. "Farenheit 451"]; You see, I'm trying a slice here to include the range of books, assuming that this associative array was indexed by title. I think this feature would be very useful for people using associative arrays. But presumably, I want to make sure that I get my copy of "Farenheit 451" (but nothing after it). How do I do that? You can't really do +1 to string. Of course, I could include up to "G" and then cut the extras off of the tail, but then the usefulness of slicing is greatly diminished. Today, my record on questions relating to arrays is about 0-2, so maybe there's some easy way to do this that I've missed (smirk)
 * What happens if you array slice a rectangular array and try to set it
 "by reference" to another array?
     int[5][5] start = ....;
     int[3][3] copyByValue,copyByReference;

     copyByValue[] = start[1..4][1..4];    // doesn't seem like too much
 trouble,
                                                       // copies the
 values over
     copyByReference = start[1..4][1..4];    // how in the world do you
 do this?
I believe there's no such thing as "rectangular slice" in D. start[1..4] is an array of 3 elements of type int[5]. Now you slice it once again with [1..4] and get an out-of-range exception because there's no element with index 3. You could, however, slice it as start[1..4][1..3], which is absolutely the same as start[2..3].
d'oh! You're right, of course. The "array slicing operator" returns an array with as many dimensions as it started with...so rectangular slicing isn't even an issue. Do it with a for loop :p -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Feb 18 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 Book[] booksToCheckOut = booksOnShelf["Anne of Green Gables" .. "Farenheit
 451"];

 You see, I'm trying a slice here to include the range of books, assuming
that
 this associative array was indexed by title.  I think this feature would
be
 very useful for people using associative arrays.
The key word here is "indexed". I'm not sure that D associative arrays are indexed - in fact, I'm not sure that there's _any_ strictly defined order of keys. As Walter has said before, the exact implementation of associative array is left to the concrete compiler.
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a4rij2$26n8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The key word here is "indexed". I'm not sure that D associative arrays are
 indexed - in fact, I'm not sure that there's _any_ strictly defined
 order of keys. As Walter has said before, the exact implementation of
 associative array is left to the concrete compiler.
Correct, there is not a defined order to the values, and they are not "indexed" in the sense of looping through the members of an array by an index. The way to enumerate all the members is by converting the associative array to a dynamic array.
Feb 20 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a4vpei$ng8$2 digitaldaemon.com...

 Correct, there is not a defined order to the values, and they are not
 "indexed" in the sense of looping through the members of an array by an
 index.  The way to enumerate all the members is by converting the
 associative array to a dynamic array.
I'd still request some form of loop to scan through the entire associative array without converting it to dynamic key/value arrays. Let the order be "implementation-defined", there are many situations where it just doesn't matter.
Feb 20 2002
next sibling parent Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
Pavel Minayev wrote:
 news:a4vpei$ng8$2 digitaldaemon.com...

Correct, there is not a defined order to the values, and they are not
"indexed" in the sense of looping through the members of an array by an
index.  The way to enumerate all the members is by converting the
associative array to a dynamic array.
I'd still request some form of loop to scan through the entire associative array without converting it to dynamic key/value arrays. Let the order be "implementation-defined", there are many situations where it just doesn't matter.
Seconded. -RB
Feb 20 2002
 Correct, there is not a defined order to the values, and they are not
 "indexed" in the sense of looping through the members of an array by an
 index.  The way to enumerate all the members is by converting the
 associative array to a dynamic array.
I'd still request some form of loop to scan through the entire associative array without converting it to dynamic key/value arrays. Let the order be "implementation-defined", there are many situations where it just doesn't matter.
Is the result of strcmp() defined or implementation dependent? If the former, then strcmp()'s comparison algorithm would work fine for me.... -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Feb 21 2002
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 Is the result of strcmp() defined or implementation dependent?  If the
 former, then strcmp()'s comparison algorithm would work fine for me....
Don't forget that D associative arrays don't necessary have string keys. It's perfectly valid to have an int, float, or even Object as a key. Also, any "comparison algorithm" sorta limits the implementation - it either has to store the keys in that order in memory, or the iteration process will be quite slow (because a look-up is performed for each key in the table). How do you implement an ordered scan for a hash table, for example?
Feb 21 2002
 Is the result of strcmp() defined or implementation dependent?  If the
 former, then strcmp()'s comparison algorithm would work fine for me....
Don't forget that D associative arrays don't necessary have string keys. It's perfectly valid to have an int, float, or even Object as a key.
Great! But I didn't know that...and I don't see it in the online docs. The closest I see is a statement that "Associated arrays are supported for all following types", which is hard to understand, but I guessed meant "you can have an associative array (keyed by strings) of any type".
 Also, any "comparison algorithm" sorta limits the implementation -
 it either has to store the keys in that order in memory, or the
 iteration process will be quite slow (because a look-up is performed
 for each key in the table). How do you implement an ordered scan
 for a hash table, for example?
Right. It would be nice to be able to slice these arrays with compiler support in the language. I don't really care the underlying algorithm; I was just hoping that I could have access to the easy functionality. However if more than strings are supported, then it gets hard. -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Feb 21 2002
parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 Great!  But I didn't know that...and I don't see it in the online docs.
The
 closest I see is a statement that "Associated arrays are supported for all
 following types", which is hard to understand, but I guessed meant "you
can
 have an associative array (keyed by strings) of any type".
Just remember the syntax: int[char[]] foo; // keys are char[] char[][double] bar; // keys are double Object[Object] baz; // keys are Object The only thing is that currently DMD alpha only supports int[char[]] =) I guess this also includes pointers since they're 32-bit as well (or am I wrong, Walter?).
Feb 21 2002
prev sibling parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert ix.netcom.com> writes:
 I believe there's no such thing as "rectangular slice" in D. start[1..4]
 is an array of 3 elements of type int[5].
Is that the second through fourth elements of start? Or the first through third? Neither seems to be what [1..4] is saying! [1..4] clearly shows either a 1 and a 4 or a 'first' and a 'fourth' inside the brackets (array). Karl Bochert
Feb 21 2002
parent "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Karl Bochert" <kbochert ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
news:1105_1014316952 bose...
 I believe there's no such thing as "rectangular slice" in D. start[1..4]
 is an array of 3 elements of type int[5].
Is that the second through fourth elements of start? Or the first through third?
Second through fourth (counting from 1).
 Neither  seems to be what [1..4] is saying!
 [1..4] clearly shows either a 1 and a 4  or  a 'first' and a 'fourth'
 inside the brackets (array).
C (and D) arrays are zero-based, you know =) So the element isn't actually 'first', but 'zeroth'.
Feb 21 2002