D - some misc. questions

reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
	charset="iso-8859-1"

hi!
i want to clarify some subjects...

1. if i am worried about internationalization, should i always use wchar =
(UTF-16) as java does? does all phobos libraries=20
    support wchar?

2. i don't understand the differences between a class and a struct. can =
anyone clarify? what are the overheads of using classes?

3. DTL when for?

4. DIDE is supposed to have a feature like MSVC intellisense?

5. I want a D GUI framework for windows... what's the best one?

best regards,
Miguel Simoes
Apr 20 2004
next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Miguel Ferreira Simões wrote:

 4. DIDE is supposed to have a feature like MSVC intellisense?
It has a form of intellisense but (IMHO) not as good as VC, yet. Hopefully Charles will figure out something really neat (he's told me he might re-work the intellisense stuff yet again). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Miguel Ferreira Simões wrote:

<snip>
 2. i don't understand the differences between a class and a struct. can
 anyone clarify?
A struct defines a fixed arrangement of data in memory. A class's members can be arranged however the compiler sees fit. Classes inherit from each other. Structs don't. Struct members are by default (always?) public. Class members are by default private. Structs are contained by value. Classes are contained by reference. Struct instances can be allocated on the heap, the stack or an externally managed area of memory. Class instances are (nearly) always allocated on the heap.
 what are the overheads of using classes?
Apart from always allocating them on the heap, practically none. <snip>
 5. I want a D GUI framework for windows... what's the best one?
Depends on what you want out of it. They're all pretty much in early stages of development. But do see my project SDWF: http://smjg.port5.com/pr/d/sdwf/ Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Mike Hearn <mike navi.cx> writes:
 1. if i am worried about internationalization, should i always use wchar
(UTF-16) as java does? does all phobos libraries
     support wchar?
Normally you'd use arrays of dchars (dchar[]) for keeping strings in unicocde internally, or UTF-8 (char[]), which requires more processing time but is compatible with standard C strings.
 2. i don't understand the differences between a class and a struct. can
 anyone clarify? what are the overheads of using classes?
Structs are the same as in C basically (ie a memory block map) but in D they can have associated methods and such as well. Basically they cannot be subclassed, cannot inherit, and so on. They are useful when interoperating with C code.
 5. I want a D GUI framework for windows... what's the best one?
There are a few floating around. You can program Win32 directly of course, but I'd agree that's not especially pleasant. thanks -mike
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c634f2$256h$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= says...

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C426DA.15394FA0

hi!
i want to clarify some subjects...
One subject per post please.
1. if i am worried about internationalization, should i always use wchar =
(UTF-16) as java does? does all phobos libraries=20
    support wchar?

2. i don't understand the differences between a class and a struct. can =
anyone clarify? what are the overheads of using classes?

3. DTL when for?
DTL is a secret project from Matthew, who knows...? Now the guy is ill (seek?) what's going to happen?
4. DIDE is supposed to have a feature like MSVC intellisense?
intellisense is simple to implement. Charles should be able to do it. He showed the interest on it. 'leds' intelisence is almost complete but has some bugs. http://leds.sourceforge.net Who want's to help porting leds to windows? (can we convince Scintilla to compile in GTK mode in windows?)
5. I want a D GUI framework for windows... what's the best one?
Mine! http://dui.sourceforge.net Ant
Apr 20 2004
parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
3. DTL when for?
DTL is a secret project from Matthew, who knows...? Now the guy is ill (seek?) what's going to happen?
Am better, and back home in Oz. Walter and I are working on various compiler/language aspects for DTL, so the "soon-ish" answer still holds. ;) To be more definitive, I expect to have something useful/usable by 0.84, and a full-ish version by, say, 0.86
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= <kobold netcabo.pt> writes:
	charset="iso-8859-1"

Can anyone compare DIG and DUI? is DUI available for windows? DUI does =
not depend on GTK version for windows?
If it depends, isn't GTK for windows in early stages (full of bugs)?

Miguel Simoes
Apr 20 2004
next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c63fn5$2pa5$1 digitaldaemon.com>,
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Miguel_Ferreira_Sim=F5es?= says...
Can anyone compare DIG and DUI? is DUI available for windows? DUI does =
not depend on GTK version for windows?
I never looked deeply into DIG. I see two main differences: - DUI is portable for multiple platforms - DIG is not. I'm yet to try compiling DUI with gdc (I just installed gdc) but it's just a matter of time before he have it for any platform supported by both gdc and GTK. - DUI is based on a design well know and use by many - DIG is not (AFAIK). if you are not concern with other platforms other then windows DIG might be a choice. The d-lab yahoo group is keeping DIG alive. even if I give up on the DUI project I believe we will always have a GTK bingind for D and that can't be very different from DUI. (wouldn't it be nice if the gnome guys pick up D!?) DUI is not yet complete and I can't find time for it (at least for the last 3 or 4 months) I still want to finish it. That should be easy now that I created some automatic wrapping of the GTK prototype functions and docs.
If it depends, isn't GTK for windows in early stages (full of bugs)?
from http://www.gtk.org/projects.html: "GTK+ for Win32 - this backend is included in the regular GTK+ packages." so it seems to have a quasi "official release" status. from the http://www.gimp.org/~tml/gimp/win32/: "The program(s) might crash unexpectedly or behave otherwise strangely. (But of course, so do many commercial programs on Windows.) " Ant
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Miguel Ferreira Sim=F5es schrieb:

 Can anyone compare DIG and DUI? is DUI available for windows? DUI does =
 not depend on GTK version for windows?
Ant avoids admitting some things. DUI always depends on GTK, on Windows=20 as well as on Linux
 If it depends, isn't GTK for windows in early stages (full of bugs)?
No, it was in early stages many years ago. However, it seems to be=20 particumarly slow on Windows - though it only shows on something like=20 Pentium 166 MHz. Besides, tablet support is still broken. The Windows version of GTK is not as perfect as Unix, but i'd say it's=20 more worth fixing than avoiding GTK at all, because GTK is still the=20 only powerful cross-platform and cross-language (very important!) GUI=20 library out there. -eye
Apr 20 2004
parent reply "Sangpil Yoon [sangpil]" <sangpil nexon.co.kr> writes:
 The Windows version of GTK is not as perfect as Unix, but i'd say it's
 more worth fixing than avoiding GTK at all, because GTK is still the
 only powerful cross-platform and cross-language (very important!) GUI
 library out there.
What about wxWidgets?
Apr 20 2004
parent reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Sangpil Yoon [sangpil] wrote:

 The Windows version of GTK is not as perfect as Unix, but i'd say
 it's more worth fixing than avoiding GTK at all, because GTK is
 still the only powerful cross-platform and cross-language (very
 important!) GUI library out there.
What about wxWidgets?
Designed for C++, though it has been ported to C and Eiffel. But do see http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?wxD Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 21 2004
parent "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 Designed for C++, though it has been ported to C and Eiffel.
Its what I use all the time with Python. -C. Sauls -Invironz
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent "Walter" <newshound digitalmars.com> writes:
"Miguel Ferreira Simões" <kobold netcabo.pt> wrote in message
news:c634f2$256h$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 if i am worried about internationalization, should i always use wchar
(UTF-16) as java does? does all phobos libraries support wchar? You can use char[], wchar[], or dchar[] in D and be fully international language capable. That's because char[] corresponds to the international UTF-8 standard, wchar[] to UTF-16, and dchar[] to UTF-32. Not all of the Phobos libraries are up to speed with UTF encodings, but they're headed that direction.
Jul 22 2004