D - 3461 downloads of D so far just this month!

reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
3665 for all of March.
2905 February
3305 January
3100 December
2169 November
2387 October
2526 September
1451 August
737 July
735 June
826 May

It isn't rocket science to see where the trend is heading! Thanks to
everyone here who is helping out - and I haven't even put it on cnet yet.
Apr 20 2004
news:c62sp0$1oac$1 digitaldaemon.com...

prev sibling next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Walter wrote:

3665 for all of March.
2905 February
3305 January
3100 December
2169 November
2387 October
2526 September
1451 August
737 July
735 June
826 May

It isn't rocket science to see where the trend is heading! Thanks to
everyone here who is helping out - and I haven't even put it on cnet yet.

Well I couldn't see it so I plotted it <g>. That trend line is linear (I don't know which trend line would be applicable to D, exponential, lol). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 20 2004
next sibling parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

<snip>
 Well I couldn't see it so I plotted it <g>.

 That trend line is linear (I don't know which trend line would be
 applicable to D, exponential, lol).
Uh, to me that looks like an inclined sine curve would give the best fit. :-) Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling parent reply Stephan Wienczny <wienczny web.de> writes:
J Anderson wrote:

 Walter wrote:

3665 for all of March.
2905 February
3305 January
3100 December
2169 November
2387 October
2526 September
1451 August
737 July
735 June
826 May

It isn't rocket science to see where the trend is heading! Thanks to
everyone here who is helping out - and I haven't even put it on cnet yet.

Well I couldn't see it so I plotted it <g>. That trend line is linear (I don't know which trend line would be applicable to D, exponential, lol). -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
You should have a look at the changelog... There have been three dmd releases in March, two of them in January. What do you think happens shortly after an release?
"Stephan Wienczny" <wienczny web.de> wrote in message
news:c648s0$13qg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 You should have a look at the changelog...
 There have been three dmd releases in March,
 two of them in January.
 What do you think happens shortly after an release?
Unfortunately, the number of unique users is not divinable from the download statistics. Even if the surges are upgrades by existing users, that indicates continuing interest in D, and that is very good for D's future. But I also believe that the high levels of activity in this forum is strongly indicative of a thriving D community of developers.
Apr 20 2004
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

<snip>
 Unfortunately, the number of unique users is not divinable from the download
 statistics. Even if the surges are upgrades by existing users, that
 indicates continuing interest in D, and that is very good for D's future.
What could be compared is how many downloads there are of successive versions of DMD. That wouldn't solve the problem, but would show that more people are using D if the figures increase. The number of new D programmers with each version would probably be slightly higher than the difference between its hit count and the previous record, as some but not all established D programmers will upgrade to the latest version. Of course, we can't really make any conclusions from the occasional versions that are superseded after only a few days. And, someone might download the same version more than once for some reason, but would this happen often enough to distort the figures significantly? Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan.N.Veelo ntnu.no> writes:
And that, I assume, does not even include gdc, and the various places to
download it from :-)

Bastiaan.

Walter wrote:
 3665 for all of March.
 2905 February
 3305 January
 3100 December
 2169 November
 2387 October
 2526 September
 1451 August
 737 July
 735 June
 826 May

 It isn't rocket science to see where the trend is heading! Thanks to
 everyone here who is helping out - and I haven't even put it on cnet yet.

No, it's just dmd.zip.

news:c6302q$1tqa$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Walter wrote:
 3665 for all of March.
 2905 February
 3305 January
 3100 December
 2169 November
 2387 October
 2526 September
 1451 August
 737 July
 735 June
 826 May

 It isn't rocket science to see where the trend is heading! Thanks to
 everyone here who is helping out - and I haven't even put it on cnet
yet.

Apr 20 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
Walter,

Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the users
details?
This would be one way to get an accurate
count.
Im sure everyone would comply.

I have noticed a lot of new people on this
group in the last two weeks(or is it one week)
maybe since that article that John pointed out.

 www.osnews.com

Phill.

next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Phill wrote:

Walter,

Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the users
details?
This would be one way to get an accurate
count.
Im sure everyone would comply.

I have noticed a lot of new people on this
group in the last two weeks(or is it one week)
maybe since that article that John pointed out.

 www.osnews.com

Phill.

I hate forms. I bet allot of people would be turned down by D if it was mandatory. You could track people by their IP number like http://www.sitemeter.com/ does. Of course people can use different computers (or IP's) but it's mostly correct. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
news:c65j6c$89i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter,

 Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the users
 details?
 This would be one way to get an accurate
 count.
 Im sure everyone would comply.
I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as possible to download. So many companies try to extract marketing data from customers that it turns a lot of people off (myself included). Perhaps I stink as a businessman <g>.
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
news:c66nj5$2a3l$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
 news:c65j6c$89i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter,

 Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the users
 details?
 This would be one way to get an accurate
 count.
 Im sure everyone would comply.
I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as possible to download. So many companies try to extract marketing data from customers that it turns a lot of people off (myself included). Perhaps I stink as a businessman <g>.
No, it's better in the long run to insult people less. You know full well how much this is accelerating.
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Unknown W. Brackets" <unknown at.simplemachines.dot.org> writes:
Walter wrote:

 "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
 news:c65j6c$89i$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Walter,

Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the users
details?
This would be one way to get an accurate
count.
Im sure everyone would comply.
I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as possible to download. So many companies try to extract marketing data from customers that it turns a lot of people off (myself included). Perhaps I stink as a businessman <g>.
There are ways to make it optional. For example, after the download is complete redirect to another page asking if they want to say something about themselves. As long as you do it after, you're not "pressuring" the person to give their life story. -[Unknown]
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
news:c66nj5$2a3l$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
 news:c65j6c$89i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter,

 Did you ever consider having a form on the download page, to get the
users
 details?
 This would be one way to get an accurate
 count.
 Im sure everyone would comply.
I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as possible to download. So many companies try to extract marketing data from customers that it turns a lot of people off (myself included). Perhaps I stink as a businessman <g>.
Well I think everyone would rather you do what you do, than be a good businessman(not that you arent a good businessman). I was not thinking of a huge form gathering all of the user's details. I just meant maybe a form to grab their name, you wouldnt even need their email address. Phill. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 22 2004
prev sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Walter wrote:

I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as
possible to download.
One thing that could put people off when downloading dmd is that download managers don't always work. Would it be possible to provide an http version? -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 28 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Good point. I can't get it via a browser on any XP machine, although I can on a
W2K.

"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c6ok5r$dhn$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Walter wrote:

I considered that, but didn't in the interest of making it as easy as
possible to download.
One thing that could put people off when downloading dmd is that download managers don't always work. Would it be possible to provide an http version? -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
it would also be nice to have the version inside the name, but that was already discussed here before...
Apr 28 2004