D - Slashdot article on D

reply Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar b-online.gr> writes:
http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=126&tid=156
Apr 19 2004
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Achilleas Margaritis wrote:
 http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid
108&tid=126&tid=156

After reading some of the comments, I begin to wonder why slashdot is considered so special. I guess it's merely the huge exposure it offers... Comments seem to be one of silly, shallow, glib, presumptuous, dogmatic or some other variation of the latter. A few clear-headed experts have there say once in awhile but I quickly wearied of reading more... Did you see how many couldn't get past just the 'D' name? ... Good grief... I'll just try to be optimistic about the exposure part of it. :-)
Apr 19 2004
parent reply Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar b-online.gr> writes:
John Reimer wrote:

 Achilleas Margaritis wrote:

 http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid
108&tid=126&tid=156
After reading some of the comments, I begin to wonder why slashdot is considered so special. I guess it's merely the huge exposure it offers... Comments seem to be one of silly, shallow, glib, presumptuous, dogmatic or some other variation of the latter. A few clear-headed experts have there say once in awhile but I quickly wearied of reading more... Did you see how many couldn't get past just the 'D' name? ... Good grief... I'll just try to be optimistic about the exposure part of it. :-)
You are right, but there are some very good comments in there. The Slashdot system also works quite well, and you can always change the level you are browsing. Here is a very good comment: "Libraries (Score:5, Insightful) In the end, it may come down to having extensive library support weather this language gets any attention or not. Without having easy to use, easily availiable libraries for sound,graphics,networking etc..., along with support examples and help with the libraries, it may not be worth using the language at all. Sure you can import C/C++ based libraries, but this will all be unmanaged C/C++ code and not protected D code with all the bennifits of D." There are also others with the same comments. D will make it on the availability of good APIs.
Apr 19 2004
parent reply Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar b-online.gr> wrote:

 You are right, but there are some very good comments in there. The
 Slashdot system also works quite well, and you can always change the
 level you are browsing.
But can you filter out all the people trying for (Score: 5, Funny)? -- dave
Apr 19 2004
parent Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar b-online.gr> writes:
Dave Sieber wrote:
 Achilleas Margaritis <axilmar b-online.gr> wrote:

You are right, but there are some very good comments in there. The
Slashdot system also works quite well, and you can always change the
level you are browsing.
But can you filter out all the people trying for (Score: 5, Funny)?
I don't know. I usually want to read those comments, they are hilarious.
Apr 19 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Achilleas Margaritis" <axilmar b-online.gr> wrote in message
news:c611ja$ruh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=126&tid=156

Anyone want to help out on slashdot by answering questions and clearing up
any misconceptions?
Apr 19 2004
parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
No, sorry - had a quick look; seems to be full of idiots who don't know the
diff between a std lib and core lang.

Apart from that, with me having my 'newbie' status and all (thanks Phill ;),
I don't think I should represent the effort yet ;o)

news:c61ama$1f8r$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Achilleas Margaritis" <axilmar b-online.gr> wrote in message
 news:c611ja$ruh$1 digitaldaemon.com...

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/04/19/1124204&mode=thread&tid=108&tid=126&tid=156
 Anyone want to help out on slashdot by answering questions and clearing up
 any misconceptions?
Apr 20 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Scott Egan wrote:

No, sorry - had a quick look; seems to be full of idiots who don't know the
diff between a std lib and core lang.

Apart from that, with me having my 'newbie' status and all (thanks Phill ;),
I don't think I should represent the effort yet ;o)

I think there should be at-least a box with STL comparison it for that page. At least that would clear up miss-conceptions. It could be explained/shown that D core-language code is much easier then stl. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
In what respect is it easier: to use or to write?

At the moment, neither is true. We're hoping to achieve that with DTL, but it's
going to take some significant enhancements to the current template mechanisms.

"J Anderson" <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in message
news:c65hhh$5d1$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Matthew wrote:

In what respect is it easier: to use or to write?

Write and read, well in the very least you need less code.
At the moment, neither is true. We're hoping to achieve that with DTL, but it's
going to take some significant enhancements to the current template mechanisms.

-- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Apr 21 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
news:c637b9$2af0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 No, sorry - had a quick look; seems to be full of idiots who don't know
the
 diff between a std lib and core lang.

 Apart from that, with me having my 'newbie' status and all (thanks Phill
;), arrgh, I aint ever gonna get to live that down :o( --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 21 2004
next sibling parent "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
Does it matter if the answer is no ;)

(Soon, I'll forget - getting old)

"Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> wrote in message
news:c65jlc$8rj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
 news:c637b9$2af0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 No, sorry - had a quick look; seems to be full of idiots who don't know
the
 diff between a std lib and core lang.

 Apart from that, with me having my 'newbie' status and all (thanks Phill
;), arrgh, I aint ever gonna get to live that down :o( --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 21 2004
Actually, now that I predate the /. influx maybe I'm no longer a newbie?

parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
news:c65nri$g4k$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Actually, now that I predate the /. influx maybe I'm no longer a newbie?