D - Is there a way to search this newsgroup?

reply samoconnor mac.com writes:
I am just starting to learn about D, and will probably have
a number of comments and questions, but I don't want to
wast peoples time by asking about things that have already
been discussed.

(I'm using the web interface)

Is there a way to search the history of the newsgroup?
Is it archived on google groups?

Sam
Apr 19 2004
next sibling parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
In article <c601nj$229j$1 digitaldaemon.com>, samoconnor mac.com says...
I am just starting to learn about D, and will probably have
a number of comments and questions, but I don't want to
wast peoples time by asking about things that have already
been discussed.
If you want to avoid asking the same question that someone else has already asked I've got some tips, but they're not foolproof. We won't jump all over you for asking a common question again.
(I'm using the web interface)

Is there a way to search the history of the newsgroup?
The web interface to the newsgroup (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D) will sort by Subject by clicking on the Subject tab at the top of the page, but you will probably have to click through a lot of pages to find the subject you're seeking. I've used it quite a bit, so I've gotten pretty good at navigating around it.
Is it archived on google groups?
I don't think so. (I think they might archive it if it was called someting like comp.lang.d which has been suggested.) There's a "Search Site" box at http://www.digitalmars.com/, but it only covers the web pages (not the newsgroup).
Sam
The best way to follow this newsgroup is with a newsreader (such as Mozilla Thunderbird or MS Outloook). It's easier to follow threads, posts show up quicker, posts can be cancelled, and you can usually sort or filter on Subject. For example with Thunderbird, there's a "Subject or Sender contains" box where I can type search criteria. If you haven't already, it'd be a good idea to look at the FAQ's: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/faq.html http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FaqRoadmap Wiki4D has a variety of information about D and it does have a search function (http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?Search). If these tips don't help you with your questions, go ahead and ask your questions here or at dsource.org (http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=4). The D community is pretty friendly. (Hmmm. I guess I should add this material to the FAQ on the Wiki...) JC
<samoconnor mac.com> wrote in message
news:c601nj$229j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am just starting to learn about D, and will probably have
 a number of comments and questions, but I don't want to
 wast peoples time by asking about things that have already
 been discussed.

 (I'm using the web interface)

 Is there a way to search the history of the newsgroup?
 Is it archived on google groups?
I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get from them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try (and please do!), the url is http://www.google.com/addurl.html
Apr 19 2004
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:

 I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get from
 them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try (and
 please do!), the url is  http://www.google.com/addurl.html

Uh oh, I better start putting a fake email address in my response... Of course it's probably too late now. Can't go change all the return addresses in old responses... :-(
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> wrote in message
news:c61p1v$2c5i$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get
from
 them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try
(and
 please do!), the url is  http://www.google.com/addurl.html
Uh oh, I better start putting a fake email address in my response... Of course it's probably too late now. Can't go change all the return addresses in old responses... :-(
I thought that too. Oops! <g> On the other hand, this is google we're talking about. I don't think that the spambots crawl google's groups cache.
Apr 19 2004
parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Walter schrieb:

 I thought that too. Oops! <g>

 On the other hand, this is google we're talking about. I don't think that
 the spambots crawl google's groups cache.
Of course they could. Just that google groups carefully goes and cancelles out vital parts of everything which looks like an e-mail adress, if i remember correctly. -eye
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Walter wrote:

 I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get from
 them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try (and
 please do!), the url is  http://www.google.com/addurl.html

I'll add a request... others should too.
Apr 19 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Julio_C=E9sar_Carrascal_Urquijo?= writes:
Walter wrote:

 I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get from
 them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try (and
 please do!), the url is  http://www.google.com/addurl.html
It's probably because the URL of all posts uses ?: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/27490 Google usually stops crawling when it founds a "?" in a URL. If you could change the software so it uses PATH_INFO instead of QUERY_STRING then the URLs would be like: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews/D/27490 Google friendly URLs.
Apr 20 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
news:c61osv$2c17$3 digitaldaemon.com...
 <samoconnor mac.com> wrote in message
 news:c601nj$229j$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I am just starting to learn about D, and will probably have
 a number of comments and questions, but I don't want to
 wast peoples time by asking about things that have already
 been discussed.

 (I'm using the web interface)

 Is there a way to search the history of the newsgroup?
 Is it archived on google groups?
I regulary and repeatedly ask google to archive it. So far, all I get from them are canned responses to some other question. If you'd like to try
(and
 please do!), the url is  http://www.google.com/addurl.html
"Your URL (http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D) has been successfully added to our list of URLs to crawl. Please note that we do not add all submitted URLs to our index, and we cannot make any predictions or guarantees about when or if they will appear. Back to the Google home page. " Sounds optimistic, even if it may be entirely disingenuous.
Apr 20 2004