D - Some dumb questions

reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
I've looked around for answers but found none, so:

1.    Why is windows.d's module name std.c.windows.windows instead of just
std.c.windows?

2.    Why does std.windows.iunknown exist when the functionality (which I
assume is to provide a std com base class) is achieved in std.c.windows.com?

3.    Has anyone written a std.c.windows.idispatch yet, if not, should I?

4.    Is there a socket library yet?

5.    If I want to contribute how do I - I notice that posting here doesn't
cut it as there is no 'official' feed back on my split idea.

6.    Would someone please have a look at the 'split' code I posted - I'd
really appreciate some advice on my interpretation of D.

Thanks,
Apr 18 2004
parent reply "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
Comments imbedded:

 1.    Why is windows.d's module name std.c.windows.windows instead of just
 std.c.windows?
Because if "%/std/c/windows.d" existed, then imports like std.c.windows.registry would be looked for in that file. Personally I think it needs work... it'd be nice to have source files with the same name as directories.
 2.    Why does std.windows.iunknown exist when the functionality (which I
 assume is to provide a std com base class) is achieved in std.c.windows.com?
Not sure. I think its just temporary legacy stuff.
 3.    Has anyone written a std.c.windows.idispatch yet, if not, should I?
Not a COM person, dunno...
 4.    Is there a socket library yet?
Yep. There's Vathix's library here: http://www.dprogramming.com/socket.php Or you can talk to Kris about testing the DSC beta which has some stream capabilities wrapped around that same socket module. I haven't toyed with it myself just yet, so I can't vouch. (Althoug DSC in general has been nice.)
 5.    If I want to contribute how do I - I notice that posting here doesn't
 cut it as there is no 'official' feed back on my split idea.
Sometimes it cuts it, sometimes it doesn't. I think you just need to explicitly state that something is meant for Phobos, maybe email it to Walter, I'm not sure.
 6.    Would someone please have a look at the 'split' code I posted - I'd
 really appreciate some advice on my interpretation of D.
-C. Sauls -Invironz
Apr 18 2004
parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 5.    If I want to contribute how do I - I notice that posting here doesn't
 cut it as there is no 'official' feed back on my split idea.
Sometimes it cuts it, sometimes it doesn't. I think you just need to explicitly state that something is meant for Phobos, maybe email it to Walter, I'm not sure.
It's a pitty Walter can't manage the potencial of this group. He just can't, for whatever reason. Ant
"Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:pan.2004.04.18.14.04.07.838648 yahoo.ca...
 It's a pitty Walter can't manage the potencial of this group.
 He just can't, for whatever reason.
The reason is that there is just too much happening with D. I'm falling further and further behind :-(
Apr 18 2004
parent reply Lars Ivar Igesund <larsivar igesund.net> writes:
Walter wrote:

 "Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
 news:pan.2004.04.18.14.04.07.838648 yahoo.ca...

It's a pitty Walter can't manage the potencial of this group.
He just can't, for whatever reason.
The reason is that there is just too much happening with D. I'm falling further and further behind :-(
Which is why I suggested to create a Phobos group some time ago. Nobody else agreed, though... It's the only chance for Phobos to become something really great IMHO. Whether any group of people is interested in taking the responsibility is something else. Lars Ivar Igesund
Apr 18 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Lars Ivar Igesund" <larsivar igesund.net> wrote in message
news:c5uja0$2sqq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

 "Ant" <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> wrote in message
 news:pan.2004.04.18.14.04.07.838648 yahoo.ca...

It's a pitty Walter can't manage the potencial of this group.
He just can't, for whatever reason.
The reason is that there is just too much happening with D. I'm falling further and further behind :-(
Which is why I suggested to create a Phobos group some time ago. Nobody else agreed, though... It's the only chance for Phobos to become something really great IMHO. Whether any group of people is interested in taking the responsibility is something else.
I have now changed my mind and I agree with you that there should be a group to work on Phobos. If I had the talent, I would love to help, but im afraid that I dont have anywhere near as much talent as the many others that frequent this group. If you do get a group going to develop Phobos, I suggest that it is only people that have used D for a fair amount of time, because some new comers seem to believe that D should have everything that their preferred language has, and nothing that their preferred language doesnt have. Just a novices opinion. Phill. --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.659 / Virus Database: 423 - Release Date: 4/15/2004
Apr 18 2004
parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
Noting Phill's comment on newbies (of which I am of course one of the
newest): based on the threads I've seen I think we all, esp Walter, may
benefit from  few more structured groups, maybe:

d                            <- general language discussion
d.bugs                    <- specific bug discussions
d.phobos                <- general RTL discussion (general libs issues, new
libs, etc)
d.phobos.std.c        <- specific library discussion (inc bug, suggestions,
wishes)
d.phobos.std.widows.windows            <- etc

Thoughts?

PS: Assuming a newbie is allowed to suggest something as revolutionary as
this ;)
PPS: BTW I've started reading the posts from as far back as 13 Aug 01 to try
and 'd-newbie' myself!

news:c5vpl2$1jnh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Walter wrote:

[...]

Apr 19 2004
parent reply "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
news:c605s2$28ou$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Noting Phill's comment on newbies (of which I am of course one of the
 newest): based on the threads I've seen I think we all, esp Walter, may
 benefit from  few more structured groups, maybe:

 d                            <- general language discussion
 d.bugs                    <- specific bug discussions
 d.phobos                <- general RTL discussion (general libs issues,
new
 libs, etc)
 d.phobos.std.c        <- specific library discussion (inc bug,
suggestions,
 wishes)
 d.phobos.std.widows.windows            <- etc

 Thoughts?
I didnt see a d.newbie in your list, that might be a good one. With all of them groups, maybe there would be a bit of an echo in one or two of the groups :o))
 PS: Assuming a newbie is allowed to suggest something as revolutionary as
 this ;)
Dont take me the wrong way, please. I wasnt talking about suggestions, I meant the actual decisions and development, should be done by people with a lot of experience with D. These people propbably undestand Walters vision and what is needed more than a new comer.
 PPS: BTW I've started reading the posts from as far back as 13 Aug 01 to
try
 and 'd-newbie' myself!
parent reply "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
I knew what you meant ;)

I was was mucking around - I'll be more serious from now on...sorry...

But I do like the inclusion of a 'd.newbie' group, it'll help de-newbie
people ;)

news:c607da$2at5$1 digitaldaemon.com...

next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Scott Egan schrieb:

 But I do like the inclusion of a 'd.newbie' group, it'll help de-newbie
 people ;)
As you're at reading, if i may suggest so, you could make a Q&A for newbies on the Wiki, so we don't have to go through all questions over and over. -eye
Apr 19 2004
parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:
 Scott Egan schrieb:

 But I do like the inclusion of a 'd.newbie' group, it'll help de-newbie
 people ;)
As you're at reading, if i may suggest so, you could make a Q&A for newbies on the Wiki, so we don't have to go through all questions over and over. -eye
Kind of like an FAQ? http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?FaqRoadmap Great idea! -- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Apr 19 2004
prev sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
"Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> wrote in message
news:c60c01$2hqe$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I knew what you meant ;)