D - www.dsource.org

reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
http://www.dsource.org

J.C. Calvarese and I have been throwing together a website to host D
projects.  It has been mentioned previously in the NG here, but with
little follow-up.  As usual, jobs and other real-world stuff delayed us,
but we finally have at least the framework of a site and wanted to ask
everyone to pay us a quick visit.

The site is very young and growing.  Our goal is not to duplicate
SourceForge, but rather to build a community of active projects for D.
Your suggestions will shape the site, so don't be shy (not that I think
anyone in the NG is shy).

Anyone wanting to host a project will have to bear with us.  There are
no automated tools to set up a project.  I will be building the scripts
and pages to do this as the first few projects come aboard.

The company I work for has generously donated some bandwidth, but I fear
this is not infinite.  I would like nothing more than to see this site
become large enough to move out of our offices and require its own
server space somewhere.

Now maybe I can take a break from PHP and web stuff so I can get back to
D.  Something about an SWT port rings some bells...

Cheers,
Brad
Mar 26 2004
next sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Looks like you're starting to get a few new forum members there too now. ;-)
Mar 26 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
I was worried that Chris wasn't going to be able to get Vathix because
someone else would snatch it up...

John Reimer wrote:
 Looks like you're starting to get a few new forum members there too now.
 ;-)
Mar 26 2004
parent reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 I was worried that Chris wasn't going to be able to get Vathix because
 someone else would snatch it up...

huh why? Nice work! -- Christopher E. Miller
Mar 26 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> writes:
I meant the account name 'vathix' - it's in demand.  ;)

Vathix wrote:
 Brad Anderson wrote:

 I was worried that Chris wasn't going to be able to get Vathix because
 someone else would snatch it up...
huh why? Nice work!
Mar 26 2004
parent Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 I meant the account name 'vathix' - it's in demand.  ;)
Funny. I was just testing things.
Mar 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Dave Sieber <dsieber spamnot.sbcglobal.net> writes:
Brad Anderson <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote:

 http://www.dsource.org

 J.C. Calvarese and I have been throwing together a website to host D
 projects.  It has been mentioned previously in the NG here, but with
 little follow-up.  As usual, jobs and other real-world stuff delayed us,
 but we finally have at least the framework of a site and wanted to ask
 everyone to pay us a quick visit.
Looks great! The tutorials are just what I needed. Very well done. -- dave
Mar 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.dsource.org
Nice work guys! -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Brad Anderson" <brad dsource.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c435ig$1vcm$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 http://www.dsource.org

 J.C. Calvarese and I have been throwing together a website to host D
 projects.  It has been mentioned previously in the NG here, but with
 little follow-up.  As usual, jobs and other real-world stuff delayed us,
 but we finally have at least the framework of a site and wanted to ask
 everyone to pay us a quick visit.
This is an excellent site! Well done. There's a ton of useful stuff in this newsgroup that can go on there. That'll be much better because in the newsgroup there's no real organization, so it's hard to find things and so a lot of wheels get reinvented.
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
http://www.dsource.org
cute name, too. I can almost hear the hallway conversations "Just go to dsource" "The source?" "No, dsource" "What source?" "D-e-e source!" "oh, that source." "no, not thatsource, dsource." "whatever" ;-)
Mar 27 2004
next sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Subtitle:

ALL YOUR D ARE BELONG TO US!!

(you have no chance to survive make your time)

Ben Hinkle schrieb:

http://www.dsource.org
cute name, too. I can almost hear the hallway conversations "Just go to dsource" "The source?" "No, dsource" "What source?" "D-e-e source!" "oh, that source." "no, not thatsource, dsource." "whatever" ;-)
Mar 27 2004
parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
They set us up the bomb!

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 14:00:20 +0100, Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrot=
e:

 Ben Hinkle schrieb:

 http://www.dsource.org
cute name, too. I can almost hear the hallway conversations "Just go to dsource" "The source?" "No, dsource" "What source?" "D-e-e source!" "oh, that source." "no, not thatsource, dsource." "whatever" ;-)
-- = D Newsgroup.
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
Flip it up abbot and costello style :).

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:57:35 -0500, Ben Hinkle <bhinkle4 juno.com> wrote=
:

 http://www.dsource.org
cute name, too. I can almost hear the hallway conversations "Just go to dsource" "The source?" "No, dsource" "What source?" "D-e-e source!" "oh, that source." "no, not thatsource, dsource." "whatever" ;-)
-- = D Newsgroup.
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling parent "jw" <letron_2000no__spam yahoo.com> writes:
Dlightful!
Mar 28 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c435ig$1vcm$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Brad Anderson says...
The company I work for has generously donated some bandwidth, but I fear
this is not infinite.  I would like nothing more than to see this site
become large enough to move out of our offices and require its own
server space somewhere.
when that happens, maybe it will be time to move that project to SourceForge
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Helmut Leitner <helmut.leitner wikiservice.at> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 http://www.dsource.org

 J.C. Calvarese and I have been throwing together a website to host D
 projects.  It has been mentioned previously in the NG here, but with
 little follow-up.  As usual, jobs and other real-world stuff delayed us,
 but we finally have at least the framework of a site and wanted to ask
 everyone to pay us a quick visit.
That's a great step forward, thank you very much. You could even integrate the wiki in a framed layout: <http://www.wikiservice.at/wiki4d/wikiframe.cgi> Layout could be adapted to fit. -- Helmut Leitner leitner hls.via.at Graz, Austria www.hls-software.com
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
It may not matter to you, but you should know that your site fails miserably with the Opera 5 browser -- it displays only the tabs, and nothing else. Opera 5 is rather old, and often displays pages a little differently than newer browsers, but this is the first site I have seen that doesn't display at all Karl Bochert
Mar 27 2004
next sibling parent reply Hauke Duden <H.NS.Duden gmx.net> writes:
Karl Bochert wrote:
http://www.dsource.org
It may not matter to you, but you should know that your site fails miserably with the Opera 5 browser -- it displays only the tabs, and nothing else.
It works fine with Opera 7. Maybe it's time to upgrade ;).
Mar 27 2004
parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
It may not matter to you, but you should know that your site fails miserably with the Opera 5 browser -- it displays only the tabs, and nothing else.
It works fine with Opera 7. Maybe it's time to upgrade ;).
Upgraded to Opera 7. Didn't work, Fatal errors. Moreover it converted my Opera 5 from registered to adware. Opera support no help with either problem. I also use FireFox so Its not fatal. On the other hand, it means that dsource.com is doing something different than 99% of the sites out there. (Some undocumented feature? etc.) Being the !only site to break !any browser would worry me. Karl Bochert
Mar 27 2004
parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:

 Upgraded to Opera 7. Didn't work, Fatal errors. Moreover it
 converted my Opera 5 from registered to adware.
 Opera support no help with either problem.

 I also use FireFox so Its not fatal.  On the other hand, it means that
 dsource.com is doing something different than 99% of the sites
 out there. (Some undocumented feature? etc.)
 Being the !only site to break !any browser would worry me.

 Karl Bochert
Hmmmmm.... I look at it the other way. Of all the browsers out there, yours appears to be the only one that doesn't work. Mozilla/Firefox is one of the most standards compliant of browsers and works just fine at dsource.org (and many, many other sites). So do most of its derivatives: Epiphany, Konquerer, etc. It appears that the Opera browser is not up to standards or is buggy, if it doesn't work. As for standards, it was my understanding that on the internet, such things are rather hit and miss. For quite a few years, many websites were designed to operate with MS Internet Explorer only, a far from standards-compliant web-browser (but used by the majority of web surfers). I say stick with firefox.
Mar 27 2004
next sibling parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
Opera 7 works fine here.  Site looks great.

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 11:59:04 -0800, John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> wro=
te:

=

prev sibling parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
 Upgraded to Opera 7. Didn't work, Fatal errors. Moreover it
 converted my Opera 5 from registered to adware.
 Opera support no help with either problem.

 I also use FireFox so Its not fatal.  On the other hand, it means that
 dsource.com is doing something different than 99% of the sites
 out there. (Some undocumented feature? etc.)
 Being the !only site to break !any browser would worry me.

 Karl Bochert
Hmmmmm.... I look at it the other way. Of all the browsers out there, yours appears to be the only one that doesn't work.
No problem then -- I expect Opera5 to fail on more and more sites as time goes by. Probably there is some standard feature that dsource.org is among the first to utilize. I would not have mentioned it except that dsource.org is the very first site that Opera 5 has failed to display at all. Just another indication of how special D is ? :-)
 Mozilla/Firefox is
 one of the most standards compliant of browsers and works just fine at
 dsource.org (and many, many other sites). So do most of its derivatives:
 Epiphany, Konquerer, etc. It appears that the Opera browser is not up to
 standards or is buggy, if it doesn't work.

 As for standards, it was my understanding that on the internet, such
 things are rather hit and miss.  For quite a few years, many websites
 were designed to operate with MS Internet Explorer only, a far from
 standards-compliant web-browser (but used by the majority of web surfers).

 I say stick with firefox.
I mostly use FireFox -- It is very slow to load and crashes my system about 3 times a day. There appear to be timeslices where it ignores mouse clicks. I can live with that, (it will get better), but sometimes using Opera5 and seeing it snap right up (and not crash) is a pleasure. Karl Bochert
Karl Bochert schrieb:

 I mostly use FireFox -- It is very slow to load and crashes my system about 3
 times a day. There appear to be timeslices where it ignores
 mouse clicks. I can live with that, (it will get better),  but sometimes using
 Opera5 and seeing it snap right up (and not crash) is a pleasure.
On my oldest and slowest computer, i use K-Meleon (http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/), which is a Mozilla-based ultra-lightweight Windiws browser initiated by the guys at AEGIS Corp. (http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=136) It loads within a fraction of a second on a Pentium MMX notebook with 64 MB RAM. It has some bugs and might crash, as opposed to the (rather slow) mega-mozilla i use here, although if i recall correctly i haven't experienced any more crashes since the most recent upgrade. But it loads and runs much faster than Firebird/Firefox and than MSIE. It has a lot of possibility for configuration. -eye
Mar 27 2004
parent kinghajj <kinghajj_member pathlink.com> writes:
On my oldest and slowest computer, i use K-Meleon
(http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/), which is a Mozilla-based
ultra-lightweight Windiws browser initiated by the guys at AEGIS Corp.
(http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=136) It loads within a fraction
of a second on a Pentium MMX notebook with 64 MB RAM. It has some bugs
and might crash, as opposed to the (rather slow) mega-mozilla i use
here, although if i recall correctly i haven't experienced any more
crashes since the most recent upgrade. But it loads and runs much faster
than Firebird/Firefox and than MSIE. It has a lot of possibility for
configuration.

-eye
I like Mozilla : sure, its a little slow starting up, but on my Athlon XP 2200+, it's really not that much of a problem. I have firefox too, but don't really use it. What really sucks is this Longhorn build I got (build 4051): it's very glitchy! The screen flashes and freezed all the time (which is cured in about 3 sec.) but, it does have it's perks...
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:

 No problem then -- I expect Opera5 to fail on more and more sites
 as time goes by.  Probably there is some standard feature that dsource.org
 is among the first to utilize.
 I would not have mentioned it except that dsource.org is the very first
 site that Opera 5 has failed to display at all.
 Just another indication of how special D is ? :-)

Well, I have to make a disclaimer: these opinions are my own, so you issues may matter very much to the people designing the site. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I spoke for them. Brad and Justin seem very intent on doing anything they can to make the site usable by everybody. Bravo to them for that.

 I mostly use FireFox -- It is very slow to load and crashes my system about 3
 times a day. There appear to be timeslices where it ignores
 mouse clicks. I can live with that, (it will get better),  but sometimes using
 Opera5 and seeing it snap right up (and not crash) is a pleasure.

 Karl Bochert

It seems strange that Firefox crashes on your system. It's actually a very stable browser. Nonetheless, I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution. It looks like Brad is trying to do what he can to fix things too. So your complaint was not unwarranted, perhaps. Later, John
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent "Phill" <phill pacific.net.au> writes:
 I mostly use FireFox -- It is very slow to load and crashes my system
about 3
 times a day. There appear to be timeslices where it ignores
 mouse clicks. I can live with that, (it will get better),  but sometimes
using
 Opera5 and seeing it snap right up (and not crash) is a pleasure.
I always use firefox, and it has never crashed since I installed it. So perhaps Firefox isnt the problem. Phill.
 Karl Bochert
--- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.644 / Virus Database: 412 - Release Date: 3/26/2004
Mar 27 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ant <duitoolkit yahoo.ca> writes:
 I mostly use FireFox -- It is very slow to load and crashes my system about 3
 times a day. There appear to be timeslices where it ignores
 mouse clicks. I can live with that, (it will get better),  but sometimes using
 Opera5 and seeing it snap right up (and not crash) is a pleasure.

 Karl Bochert
my firefox started crashing when I upgraded to xfree 4.4 (I don't know what OS you use - mine is linux 2.6.0) and stoped crashing when I installed mozilla 1.7b (probably firefox is using the new mozilla installation) Ant
Mar 28 2004