D - D compiler

reply "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> writes:
Forgive my ignorance.  Could someone give me a feel for the maturity of the
D compiler?  What features have yet to be implemented?  Is it still somewhat
buggy?  How does the performance compare to a modern C++ compiler like
Visual C++ or gcc C++?  What libraries are available?  Are there GUI
libraries for D?  How well does it integrate with OpenGL?

Thanks,

Craig
Mar 24 2004
next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
"Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> wrote in message
news:c3t1fi$19j0$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Forgive my ignorance.  Could someone give me a feel for the maturity of
the
 D compiler?
It's at 0.81. I would guess that it will jump from 0.90 to 1.0
  What features have yet to be implemented?
Walter can comment on that.
  Is it still somewhat
 buggy?
Yes
  How does the performance compare to a modern C++ compiler like
 Visual C++ or gcc C++?
Extremely fast compile times. Generates very competitive code.
  What libraries are available?
Not many yet, but the list is growing
  Are there GUI
 libraries for D?
Yes, but they're still in development
  How well does it integrate with OpenGL?
Not my area
Mar 24 2004
parent Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
Matthew wrote:

 "Craig Black" <cblack ara.com> wrote in message
 news:c3t1fi$19j0$1 digitaldaemon.com...

<snip>
 What features have yet to be implemented?
Walter can comment on that.
 Is it still somewhat buggy?
Yes
<snip> Maybe we should get an official bug/omission listed sorted out, to aid with finally getting enough bugs squashed in time for 1.0. What is the current stage of D/DMD as a whole, for that matter? Alpha? Beta? Gamma? Somewhere in between? Stewart. -- My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment. Please keep replies on the 'group where everyone may benefit.
Mar 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Craig Black wrote:

Forgive my ignorance.  Could someone give me a feel for the maturity of the
D compiler?
It's still changing and that can be a real problem for stable code. However it's reaching a pointer where changes are becoming less and less and most *new* things will be in 2.0.
What features have yet to be implemented?
Only Walter knows this exactly. One thing is array operations (ie +, -) but I don't know if that's still on the list.
Is it still somewhat buggy?
IMHO it's reasonably stable, although there are bugs most of them aren't critical (just annoying).
How does the performance compare to a modern C++ compiler like
Visual C++ or gcc C++?  What libraries are available?

Are there GUI libraries for D?
Dig, Windy and DUI.
How well does it integrate with OpenGL?
Very well, indeed. Performace wise (you'll need to judge for yourself) but it seems to be similar. glExcess was implemented in D with good results:
It shows that even in its current alpha state the D compiler plays
in the same league with production C/C++ compilers.
sure. D compiler is pretty good.
And the binary is smaller, 65% of the original.

since my 'glExcess into D' doesn't support sound and FPS(frames per second) display ,so it doesn't mean D compiler generate smaller binary than C/C++ compiler. by fairly judging , it is almost even. yaneurao.
- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Mar 24 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
( Unofficial )

 What features have yet to be implemented?
A few , but 1.0 release is coming soon , its almost ready.
 Is it still somewhat
 buggy?
I haven't had any trouble with the generated code , some syntax related = problems still exist, but are rapdily being taken care of.
 How does the performance compare to a modern C++ compiler like
 Visual C++ or gcc C++?
Im using D in a commericial application , and comparing to GCC , I find = it = produces faster code, smaller executables, and the compile / link phase = is = EXTREMELY faster.
 What libraries are available?
Several, but you'll have to hunt them down. The wiki is a good place to= = start, heres a few http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage http://www.atari-soldiers.com/libs.html http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/ http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/ http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA028375/d/windows.h.html
 Are there GUI
 libraries for D?
Yes http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?SDWF dui.sf.net theres mike's ( a bit dated ) DFC. A DWT port is underway, I was working on one aswell but got sidetracked,= = and Im not really qualified for a GUI lib anyway :).
Quite well I imagine, i havent used it though , heres a good resource. = I = know directx9 has been used as well. http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/ Have fun! C On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:18:25 -0600, Craig Black <cblack ara.com> wrote:
 Forgive my ignorance.  Could someone give me a feel for the maturity o=
f =
 the
 D compiler?  What features have yet to be implemented?  Is it still =
 somewhat
 buggy?  How does the performance compare to a modern C++ compiler like=
 Visual C++ or gcc C++?  What libraries are available?  Are there GUI
 libraries for D?  How well does it integrate with OpenGL?

 Thanks,

 Craig
-- = D Newsgroup.
Mar 24 2004
prev sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
I only have time for a few words.

Mature? more or less. we expect it to reach almost production quality
somewhat soon - whatever this may mean, we haven't heard any promises or
speculative dates, but it's apparently getting sooner and sooner. Just
watch the version number hit 1.00. :>

Features? cannot remember, not much serious, but the specification might
change if we find some really really really serious fault. I would
believe that current operator overloading resolution is slightly faulty.

Performance? more or less on the same level as GCC and MSVC6. it's
basically the same you would get from DigitalMars C++ compiler, but will
get better someday. Standard library performance may deserve
improvement. An alternative compiler based on GCC seems to be almost ready.

Libraries - refer to WIKI.
http://www.prowiki.org/wiki4d/wiki.cgi?FrontPage
Special tipp: there exists a hacked version of SWIG so that you can
automatically genate wrappers for many C++ libraries which are also used
from Ruby, Perl, Python...

GUI: DIG (*not* the version from OpenD) - Windows, DUI - GTK based Unix
and Windows, and 2 more not so mature Windows libraries. There's
something big ahead, like SWT port, or so i hear.

OpenGL: *perfect* support, fresh import units and extension loaders have
been floating around somewhere.

-eye