D - Assertions, unit testing

reply Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
I really like the built in unit testing in D, but I think that there are
points that could be improved upon.

In no particular order:

If assert were a method, then I could override it and extend it. This would
allow us to add, easily, things like assertEquals and the usual crew there,
and also custom ones, such as (for example) assertConnected, or better error
reporting or improved messages.

I see no way to do this now: I could do things like wrap assert with another
method, but then the wrong file/line number will be reported.

Anotehr, and rather minor, gripe is this: there is no way to really name
tests. I know I can just have a name in a comment before the block, but that
really isn't the same thing. Nitpicking, really, but I feel it ought to be
there.

Basically, I think D's unit tests are not powerful enough. If it were in a
library, I'd say, OK, write a new library, but as they are part of the
standard, and one of the defining features of the language, I think it's
important to do it well. Things like more asserts, with messages are
significant. Another large omission is the setup/teardown methods. Also, there
is no way at all, that I can see, to hook this into a reporting framework.

I think its important that these things be there, even though I think it will
necessitate some language changes. Thoughts on this?

Mike Swieton
__
...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and the
Ugly)
	- Matt Welsh
Mar 23 2004
next sibling parent reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
Mike Swieton wrote:

[...]
 I could do things like wrap assert with another
 method, but then the wrong file/line number will be reported.
[...] To obtain filename and line number à la myassert( 0, std.compiler.currLine) would suffice. So long!
Mar 23 2004