D - [BUG] extern (C) behavior changed in v0.81

reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.net> writes:
Pre v0.81 this would link correctly:

class Token
{
    extern (C) int memcmp (void *, void *, uint);

    void test()
   {
    memcmp (..., ..., ...);

with v0.81, the linker fails with:

Error 42: Symbol Undefined __D5hello5Token6memcmpUPvPvkZi

If I move the extern (C) declaration outside of the class definition (up to
the global scope) it links correctly:

extern (C) int memcmp (void *, void *, uint);

class Token
{
    void test()
   {
    memcmp (..., ..., ...);

Was this an intended change of symbol naming?
Mar 23 2004
next sibling parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c3ptjf$1tg5$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Kris says...
Pre v0.81 this would link correctly:

class Token
{
    extern (C) int memcmp (void *, void *, uint);

    void test()
   {
    memcmp (..., ..., ...);

with v0.81, the linker fails with:

Error 42: Symbol Undefined __D5hello5Token6memcmpUPvPvkZi

If I move the extern (C) declaration outside of the class definition (up to
the global scope) it links correctly:

extern (C) int memcmp (void *, void *, uint);

class Token
{
    void test()
   {
    memcmp (..., ..., ...);

Was this an intended change of symbol naming?
I do use extern(C) inside the class definition but I thought the method had to be static. all my extern(C) inside the class are static and still compile and link with 0.81 Ant
Mar 23 2004
next sibling parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
Same here.  Requires the static keyword for methods.

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:57:10 +0000 (UTC), Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com>
[...]

-- D Newsgroup.
Mar 23 2004
prev sibling parent Carlos Santander B. <Carlos_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c3ptpm$1tto$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
[...]

That was the first thing I tried, but that didn't work either. ------------------- Carlos Santander B.
Mar 23 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
That actually was a bug fixed in the compiler. The memcmp() declaration is
declared as a virtual member function of Token with the C calling
convention. It really should be moved outside of the class, or declared as
static.

news:c3ptjf$1tg5$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent reply Hauke Duden <H.NS.Duden gmx.net> writes:
Walter wrote:
 That actually was a bug fixed in the compiler. The memcmp() declaration is
 declared as a virtual member function of Token with the C calling
 convention. It really should be moved outside of the class, or declared as
 static.
Wouldn't a static method still be name-mangled? If it is then linking to memcmp still won't work, right? And if it isn't mangled then I think this is another bug. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to have static functions with the same name in different classes! Hauke
Mar 23 2004
next sibling parent reply Carlos Santander B. <Carlos_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c3q0qd$233o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Hauke Duden says...
Walter wrote:
 That actually was a bug fixed in the compiler. The memcmp() declaration is
 declared as a virtual member function of Token with the C calling
 convention. It really should be moved outside of the class, or declared as
 static.
Wouldn't a static method still be name-mangled? If it is then linking to memcmp still won't work, right? And if it isn't mangled then I think this is another bug. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to have static functions with the same name in different classes! Hauke
Actually, that's what I was saying in my other post. Indeed, the linker complains and reports a name-mangled function. ------------------- Carlos Santander B.
Mar 23 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.net> writes:
As Carlos says: even if it's static within the class it will still be
name-mangled. The only solution is apparently to move such declarations up
to module-scope.

- Kris

news:c3q12m$23eb$1 digitaldaemon.com...
parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Kris schrieb:

 As Carlos says: even if it's static within the class it will still be
 name-mangled. The only solution is apparently to move such declarations up
 to module-scope.

 - Kris
All declarations are name mangled in D, because they are mangled with module name and arguments. Exceptions are all declarations with extern(C/Pascal/Windows/...) sorts where name mangling is to be turned off. Always, not depending on whether it's a static member or module scope level. Obviously, making non-static members or inner functions extern is unfeasible. -eye
Mar 23 2004
parent reply "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.net> writes:
Yes Ilya, but the case in question *has* an extern (C) attribute ... to wit:

        extern (C) int memcmp (void *, void *, uint);

- Kris

"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:c3q886$2gk2$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Kris schrieb:

 As Carlos says: even if it's static within the class it will still be
 name-mangled. The only solution is apparently to move such declarations
up
 to module-scope.

 - Kris
All declarations are name mangled in D, because they are mangled with module name and arguments. Exceptions are all declarations with extern(C/Pascal/Windows/...) sorts where name mangling is to be turned off. Always, not depending on whether it's a static member or module scope level. Obviously, making non-static members or inner functions extern is unfeasible. -eye
Mar 23 2004
parent reply "Derek Parnell" <Derek.Parnell psyc.ward> writes:
On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:34:51 -0800 (24/Mar/04 11:34:51 AM)