D - Cvs?

reply Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
I just started working with D and I like it a lot. I'd like to jump in on
a fun project but the development of the D projects seems very closed. I
think it'd be great to open these up a bit. I think CVS (or any SCCS)
would be helpful. I haven't seen very much information up on the web on
any of the projects, except for the very sketchy pages on the wiki (which
don't provide source for most of them).

Or have I missed something obvious?

Mike Swieton
__
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so
bad as a lot of ignorance.
	 - Terry Pratchett
Mar 22 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Mike Swieton wrote:

I just started working with D and I like it a lot. I'd like to jump in on
a fun project but the development of the D projects seems very closed.
Your help would be much appreciated. One thing D will always be short on is man power. This is the best place to ask. I'm sure someone out-there needs a partner on their project. Also I'm sure if you find a project you like, the author would be grateful for any help you can provide.
I think it'd be great to open these up a bit. I think CVS (or any SCCS)
would be helpful.
This would be good and there has been much talk (and some development) on this subject however nothing has been released. Benji seemed to make the biggest effort but he has disappeared. There seems to be some renewed interest in the subject just recently. See: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D/25687 and the following discussion. Parhaps Walter could setup a d.repository newsgroup which could be use to help bring the people working on the repository together for a joint effort. It could also be used as the *temporary* repository site (parhaps some convention could be worked out).
I haven't seen very much information up on the web on
any of the projects, except for the very sketchy pages on the wiki (which
don't provide source for most of them).

Or have I missed something obvious?
Have you tried looking at the websites with the projects? Walters d links (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dlinks.html)? I don't know of any D project that don't come with the source. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Mar 22 2004
parent reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
Give us a couple more days to clean up some inital pages and we will
open up a site that will have Subversion (http://subversion.tigris.org)
as its source-code control system as well as phpBB for forums, and a
home-grown (and still growing) tutorial builder.  You will be able to
set up projects (I'll do it manually at first) with web pages,
downloads, a forum, and a Subversion repository.  This will be the
repository site that Benji teased us with...

BA

next sibling parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:

 Give us a couple more days to clean up some inital pages and we will
 open up a site that will have Subversion
 (http://subversion.tigris.org) as its source-code control system as
 well as phpBB for forums, and a home-grown (and still growing)
 tutorial builder.  You will be able to set up projects (I'll do it
 manually at first) with web pages, downloads, a forum, and a
 Subversion repository.  This will be the repository site that Benji
 teased us with...

 BA
Sounds cool. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Mar 22 2004
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Doesn't CVS have the advantage that more people are confy with it, and
that there are more GUI shells to it?

-eye

next sibling parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:
 Doesn't CVS have the advantage that more people are confy with it, and
 that there are more GUI shells to it?
I don't think so. Subversion is extremely similar to CVS in actual use, but generally does things in a much more straightforward manner. TortoiseSVN <http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org> is an awesome windows shell extension that's already quite usable with subversion. -- andy
Mar 22 2004
parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Andy Friesen schrieb:

 I don't think so.  Subversion is extremely similar to CVS in actual use,
 but generally does things in a much more straightforward manner.
OK.
 TortoiseSVN <http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org> is an awesome windows shell
 extension that's already quite usable with subversion.
YAAAAY! My favorite CVS client ported to SVN! I can have nothing against SVN any longer. ;) -eye
Mar 23 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:

 Doesn't CVS have the advantage that more people are confy with it, and
 that there are more GUI shells to it?

There are a couple of gui shells for Subversion (both on linux and win32). I agree that it takes some work to get comfortable with it. But it's a new start for new projects: better now than later. I guess it's a good opportunity to learn something new too. Subversion appears to solve some annoying issues of CVS also. By the way, win32 version is quite slick. It integrates into the win32 shell and allows you to update from/to server on the fly with a right mouse click on the source directory. I don't like the accompanying GUI program, though. It doesn't make learning to work a subversion client very obvious. Prepare to study up for the new source control system. later, John
Mar 22 2004
prev sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Ilya Minkov wrote:
 Doesn't CVS have the advantage that more people are confy with it, and
 that there are more GUI shells to it?
Yes, but Subversion *does* have its advantages over CVS. Check out subversion.tigris.org for details. It's handy :-) (...or maybe I ought to go mainstream and say it's 'cool!!!|!1 ~ ~ ~' ;-) Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Mar 23 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew stlsoft.org> writes:
People are generally doing their own thing at the moment. Since
Phobos-oriented projects are, by design, quite orthogonal, this was worked
well so far. Other projects, such as the various GUI projects, that are
broader and also not intended for Phobos, are already being carried out by
teams.

If you have a desire to jump into some D work, just say so, as I've got lots
of ideas for useful D tools. :)

news:pan.2004.03.22.17.29.24.711005 swieton.net...

parent Mike Swieton <mike swieton.net> writes:
 If you have a desire to jump into some D work, just say so, as I've got lots
 of ideas for useful D tools. :)
Sounds like fun 8-} Why not post it on the Wiki? Mike Swieton __ In case you haven't realized it, building computer systems is hard. - Martin Fowler
Mar 22 2004