D - assert(Object)

reply Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
Object o;
assert(o);

Instead of making sure "o" is a valid reference, it causes an access
violation when trying to run its invariant. I think it should check for
null first; it makes it easier, and would do what most newbies expect.

--
Christopher E. Miller
"Vathix" <vathix dprogramming.com> wrote in message
news:c3a8eb$304f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Object o;
 assert(o);

 Instead of making sure "o" is a valid reference, it causes an access
 violation when trying to run its invariant. I think it should check for
 null first; it makes it easier, and would do what most newbies expect.
An access violation is an exception, and if the invariant fails an exception is also thrown. All an access violation is is the hardware checking for the error rather than checking for it with software.
Mar 18 2004
parent Vathix <vathix dprogramming.com> writes:
Walter wrote:

 "Vathix" <vathix dprogramming.com> wrote in message
 news:c3a8eb$304f$1 digitaldaemon.com...

Object o;
assert(o);

Instead of making sure "o" is a valid reference, it causes an access
violation when trying to run its invariant. I think it should check for
null first; it makes it easier, and would do what most newbies expect.
An access violation is an exception, and if the invariant fails an exception is also thrown. All an access violation is is the hardware checking for the error rather than checking for it with software.
I just mean it'd be nice if assert(o) translated into assert(o !== null && o.invariant()) instead of just assert(o.invariant()) so it works more like an if(o) statement. It's in debug mode so the extra check shouldn't be important. It's not a big deal, as I've gotten used to typing assert(o !== null); -- it's easier than running the program through the debugger. -- Christopher E. Miller
Mar 19 2004