D - SCons (again)

reply Andy Friesen <Andy_member pathlink.com> writes:
The main SCons distribution now includes D support!  Hurray and stuff.

<http://www.scons.org/>

(FYI, SCons is a Python-based build tool, much like GNU make)

 -- andy
Mar 10 2004
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
Thanks!

"Andy Friesen" <Andy_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:c2oca2$be$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 The main SCons distribution now includes D support!  Hurray and stuff.

 <http://www.scons.org/>

 (FYI, SCons is a Python-based build tool, much like GNU make)

  -- andy
Mar 10 2004
prev sibling parent reply Mark T <Mark_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c2oca2$be$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...
The main SCons distribution now includes D support!  Hurray and stuff.

<http://www.scons.org/>

(FYI, SCons is a Python-based build tool, much like GNU make)
How fast is it? Is it really slow versus GNU make?
Mar 11 2004
next sibling parent Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
Mark T schrieb:

 How fast is it?  Is it really slow versus GNU make?

I would believe it to be very fast, but it's better to test it. It should be faster than makedepends&make. The make files are in Python syntax. I haven't tried it myself, but the Blender project has just switched onto it, since it makes automake/autoconf obsolete (at least for their purposes?) as well. -eye
Mar 11 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Mark T wrote:
 How fast is it?  Is it really slow versus GNU make?
I find that it spends a second grinding away figuring out dependancies, but it's plenty fast enough after that. I prefer it because I find it nicer to work with, not because it's faster. (for instance, SCons doesn't need to be told how to do a 'make clean'. It knows) -- andy
Mar 11 2004
prev sibling parent =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Mark T wrote:

 In article <c2oca2$be$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Andy Friesen says...

The main SCons distribution now includes D support!  Hurray and stuff.

<http://www.scons.org/>

(FYI, SCons is a Python-based build tool, much like GNU make)
How fast is it? Is it really slow versus GNU make?
I find the problem with make isn't the amount of time it spends compiling your code, it's the time you spend making it compile your code. Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Mar 11 2004