D - Order of auto destruction?

reply Stewart Gordon <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> writes:
When two or more auto objects go out of scope at the same time, is there
any official rule over the order in which the destructors are called?

According to the experiments I've done so far (DMD 0.79, Windows 98SE),
they seem to be always destructed in the reverse order that they were
declared, whether they were declared at the same level or not.  This is
indeed the sensible thing to do, since the second object could require
the first to be valid throughout its lifetime.

But is this guaranteed?  The spec doesn't seem to address the issue.

Stewart.

--
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox, aside from its being the
unfortunate victim of intensive mail-bombing at the moment.  Please keep
next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean ffwd.cx> writes:
Stewart Gordon wrote:
 When two or more auto objects go out of scope at the same time, is there
 any official rule over the order in which the destructors are called?

 According to the experiments I've done so far (DMD 0.79, Windows 98SE),
 they seem to be always destructed in the reverse order that they were
 declared, whether they were declared at the same level or not.  This is
 indeed the sensible thing to do, since the second object could require
 the first to be valid throughout its lifetime.

 But is this guaranteed?  The spec doesn't seem to address the issue.
If the spec does not mention this then it should be updated. C and C++ gurantee that destruction is in reverse order from declaration, and I would be shocked if D weren't the same way, as unpredictable destruction order would wreak havoc with app writing. Sean
Mar 09 2004
prev sibling parent "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c2knb9$2ihl$1 digitaldaemon.com
| When two or more auto objects go out of scope at the same
| time, is there any official rule over the order in which
| the destructors are called?
|
| According to the experiments I've done so far (DMD 0.79,
| Windows 98SE), they seem to be always destructed in the
| reverse order that they were declared, whether they were
| declared at the same level or not.  This is indeed the
| sensible thing to do, since the second object could
| require the first to be valid throughout its lifetime.
|
| But is this guaranteed?  The spec doesn't seem to address
| the issue.
|
| Stewart.

IIRC, Walter once said that was true.

Carlos Santander Bernal