D - D Libs

reply Cameron Zemek <grom_3 optusnet.com.au> writes:
Is there D libraries (library using the D way) for:

1) Socket programming?
2) Database access?
3) GUI?

If not is the best way of implementing the above is to write wrappers to
existing C libraries?

Also what are the differences between D's modules and Java packages? How would
you port a package of java classes to D?

I'm interested in a rich client-side development environment. Although D is in
its early days, I think it is suited to this since it compiles to native code
and some applications require access to system level API.
Feb 25 2004
next sibling parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Cameron Zemek wrote:

3) GUI?

See dig on my webpage. As to the other's I'll let more knowlageable peoples answer there. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
Feb 25 2004
parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c1icug$1vlg$2 digitaldaemon.com>, J Anderson says...
Cameron Zemek wrote:

3) GUI?

See dig on my webpage. As to the other's I'll let more knowlageable peoples answer there. -- -Anderson: http://badmama.com.au/~anderson/
DUI is the only D GUI that supports all dmd target platforms http://dui.sourceforge.net Ant
Feb 25 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sigbj=F8rn_Lund_Olsen?= <sigbjorn lundolsen.net> writes:
Comments interspersed.

Cameron Zemek wrote:
 Is there D libraries (library using the D way) for:

 1) Socket programming?
http://int19h.tamb.ru/files.html I've never used the socket stuff there, so don't blame me for misguided guidance if they're shit.
 2) Database access?
I thought there was a wrapper for SQLite (www.sqlite.org) but can't seem to find anything to back up that belief... So I may very well be wrong.
 3) GUI?
Several. You may want to look at the D Links in the D documentation, the links there generally point to useful things. Cheers, Sigbjørn Lund Olsen
Feb 25 2004
next sibling parent Sean Kelly <sean ffwd.cx> writes:
Sigbjørn Lund Olsen wrote:
 1) Socket programming?
http://int19h.tamb.ru/files.html I've never used the socket stuff there, so don't blame me for misguided guidance if they're shit.
They aren't bad but they're pretty basic. I'd like to work on some high-end socket and threading stuff, but more fundamental issues need to be tackled first. Sean
Feb 25 2004
prev sibling parent reply Cameron Zemek <grom_3 optusnet.com.au> writes:
Sigbjørn Lund Olsen wrote:

 Comments interspersed.

 Cameron Zemek wrote:
 Is there D libraries (library using the D way) for:

 1) Socket programming?
http://int19h.tamb.ru/files.html I've never used the socket stuff there, so don't blame me for misguided guidance if they're shit.
Is there any cross-platform socket libraries? This looks like a good start though.
 2) Database access?
I thought there was a wrapper for SQLite (www.sqlite.org) but can't seem to find anything to back up that belief... So I may very well be wrong.
I was also unable to find D wrapper for SQLite. Also is there something like ODBC or JDBC for D yet?
Feb 25 2004
next sibling parent "Kris" <someidiot earthlink.net> writes:
socket.d in urllib is setup to be ported (using an abstract base-class) so
that's a good place to start. I've looked around but haven't found an
implementation for Linux yet, though I presume it's a Berkeley sockets
implementation.

Here's a starter: http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue47/bueno.html

"Cameron Zemek" <grom_3 optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:c1jp4j$1bca$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sigbjørn Lund Olsen wrote:

 Comments interspersed.

prev sibling parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
 Is there any cross-platform socket libraries? This looks like a good =
 start
 though.
Win32 and Linux sockets are basically the same , save for = WSAStartup/Cleanup, and some code considered 'deprecated' in linux is th= e = only thing available in windows. Pavels winsock module could easily be = ported.
[...]

-- = Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
Feb 26 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <c1ic0o$1u8o$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Cameron Zemek says...
Is there D libraries (library using the D way) for:

1) Socket programming?
2) Database access?
I almost forget, I started a binding to PostgreSQL lib pq. You can execute SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT (maybe more) http://dpq.sourceforge.net missing: - import / export - large objects (?) - notifications
3) GUI?
(I said this before) http://dui.sourceforge.net Ant
Feb 25 2004
prev sibling parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Cameron Zemek wrote:
 Is there D libraries (library using the D way) for:

 1) Socket programming?
I'm sure if this is what you mean, but Burton Radons came up with urllib (http://www.opend.org/urllib.zip), but it'll need at least a little tweaking for the current version of DMD.
 2) Database access?
There some options depending on what you want to do: http://www.wikiservice.at/d/wiki.cgi?DatabaseBindings Also, since MySql has a C API, it also should be fairly easy to use in D although I don't remember anyone trying yet.
 3) GUI?
In addition to dig and dui, there's also Atari Soldiers's windy (http://www.atari-soldiers.com/windy.html) and Carlos Santander's Apollo (http://earth.prohosting.com/carlos3).
 If not is the best way of implementing the above is to write wrappers to
 existing C libraries?
If the existing stuff isn't what you're looking for, I think it can be pretty easy to write wrappers. (Much easier than completely re-writing a project in D.)
 Also what are the differences between D's modules and Java packages? How would
 you port a package of java classes to D?

 I'm interested in a rich client-side development environment. Although D is in
 its early days, I think it is suited to this since it compiles to native code
 and some applications require access to system level API.
-- Justin http://jcc_7.tripod.com/d/
Feb 25 2004