D - Samples & setup?

reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
Hi, I just downloaded the D compiler to play around with it a bit. I tried
to compile some samples:

D ALPHA Experimental release
www.digitalmars.com
Error: Error reading file 'object.d'

Hmm... I can find object.d within the SRC folder for the runtime lib. Do I
have to add this directory to the include variable? What do I have to do,
for a correct setup?

--
Robert M. Münch
IT & Management Freelancer
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:a0nmf6$jf3$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Hi, I just downloaded the D compiler to play around with it a bit. I tried
 to compile some samples:

 D ALPHA Experimental release
 www.digitalmars.com
 Error: Error reading file 'object.d'

 Hmm... I can find object.d within the SRC folder for the runtime lib. Do I
 have to add this directory to the include variable? What do I have to do,
 for a correct setup?
You don't need to do anything special to setup it properly. However, when compiling programs don't forget the -I key: dmd -Ic:/dmd/src/phobos wc.d
Dec 30 2001
parent reply "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> writes:
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:a0nn38$joj$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 You don't need to do anything special to setup it properly. However,
 when compiling programs don't forget the -I key:

     dmd -Ic:/dmd/src/phobos wc.d
Hi, thanks for the informaion! I didn't expect to spacify the source directory of the runtime library as an include path ;-)) Robert
Dec 30 2001
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:a0nn6t$jp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
 news:a0nn38$joj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 You don't need to do anything special to setup it properly. However,
 when compiling programs don't forget the -I key:
     dmd -Ic:/dmd/src/phobos wc.d
Hi, thanks for the informaion! I didn't expect to spacify the source directory of the runtime library as an include path ;-)) Robert
Think of it as the "import" path, not the "include" path!
Dec 30 2001
prev sibling parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
news:a0nn6t$jp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Hi, thanks for the informaion! I didn't expect to spacify the source
 directory of the runtime library as an include path ;-)) Robert
Don't forget, it's just an alpha. Probably Walter will add automatic resolution of Phobos location in future versions. This is not a high-priority thing, though, so I wouldn't expect it soon... =)
Dec 30 2001
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a0nqjl$lna$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Robert M. Münch" <robert.muench robertmuench.de> wrote in message
 news:a0nn6t$jp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Hi, thanks for the informaion! I didn't expect to spacify the source
 directory of the runtime library as an include path ;-)) Robert
Don't forget, it's just an alpha. Probably Walter will add automatic resolution of Phobos location in future versions. This is not a high-priority thing, though, so I wouldn't expect it soon... =)
I expect to make the dmd.exe handle the link step itself eventually, too. Priority goes to getting the language fully implemented.
Dec 30 2001
parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
news:a0o1p6$pm9$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 I expect to make the dmd.exe handle the link step itself eventually, too.
Not something strongly required. I personally made a simple batch file which runs the linker if errorleve is 0.
 Priority goes to getting the language fully implemented.
Absolutely. I'd better have a fully working compiler that requires me to link everything manually =) By the way, what is NOT implemented, apart from in/out blocks inheritance (which I came over already)?
Dec 30 2001
"Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:a0o34t$qd6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 news:a0o1p6$pm9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 By the way, what is NOT implemented, apart from in/out blocks
 inheritance (which I came over already)?
I want to get some sort of packaging designed and implemented, such as: import foo.bar.abc; What's also not implemented is a lot of the runtime checks, such as array bounds checking.
Dec 30 2001