D - Is there anything novel about D?

reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
Hmm, there seems to be some debate about this of late, does there not?

As far as I know, which is most of the successful languages of the last two
or three decades, D's implementation of the foreach construct is *entirely*
novel, being based on nested functions. This was entirely Walter's
invention; though he was kind enough to involve me in its development, I
barely managed to hold onto his coat-tails as it sped from nascent idea to
brilliant implementation.

For anyone who needs/wants to know more, you should get this month's DDJ,
containing our article "Collection Enumeration: Loops, Iterators and Nested
Functions". It's also downloadable from http://ddj.com if you're a
subscriber to any CMP magazines. In the article we offer a challenge to
anyone who thinks it's easier to write an equivalent enumeration construct
in C++ to download and compare the Phobos and the WinSTL (the Win32
sub-project of STLSoft; http://winstl.org) implementations of their
respective registry enumeration components, since they had the same author.

If you want to contrast the levels of difficulty of collection enumeration
implementations with other languages, you should be reading my "Positive
Integration" column in CUJ. If you don't get CUJ, you can still constrast

and Java by downloading the distributions from the recls website
(http://recls.org/downloads.html). If anyone digests that and _honestly_
tells me that D's solution is not the simplest to implement, I'll eat my
hat.

Cheers

Matthew
Feb 21 2004
next sibling parent "Matthias Spycher" <matthias coware.com> writes:
I would argue that the combination of features is unique, otherwise you
wouldn't see the activity around D that is evident today.

IMHO, the biggest step forward is that we have a systems programming
language, compatible with C, that gets rid of the preprocessor. Having spent
the last few years optmizing C++ code by transforming source-to-source based
on a given library semantics, I can tell you that not a day goes by without
me hoping that we will do this in D (or something very much like it)
someday. Apart from the complexity of C++, the preprocessor is one of the
primary reasons why tools for C/C++ are second-rate compared to those for

One more comparison. The general notion of a type-safe systems programming
language with objects and single inheritance is certainly not new. A very
good example of what can be achieved is the Oberon System from ETH, Zurich.
Hardware, OS, and programming language were designed and implemented by a
small team of researchers and students in the late 80s to early 90s, and the
results were quite impressive. Note that Oberon does not have generics or
interfaces, the syntax is derived from Pascal (not my favorite), and the
kernel was single-user, single-processor (no preemption). But it had some
cool features like GC throughout, even for persistent objects like files.
Although there were a few attempts at commercialization, its success in
industry was not great. The only Swiss company that really went anywhere
with the technology is a small shop called esmertec, which now specializes
in (hard) realtime Java for embedded systems. From what I've seen and read,
they are the only company that has demonstrated using Java this close to the
machine, and with some impressive results regarding space and time
efficiency -- they compile Java to machine code ahead of time.

I would love to see another OS and system library implemented based on
modules, dynamic loading and linking, GC, etc. that doesn't expose its APIs
as C functions. With D getting more traction, I think it's just a matter of
time.

Just rambling...

Matthias
Feb 23 2004
prev sibling parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
"Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> wrote in message
news:c19kb1$1nad$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

author. One question I had after reading the DDJ article was about different kinds of iterators. The foreach/nested-function implementation of forward iterators (enumerators) is very nice and general but how would reverse iterators or other STL-like iterators work with nested functions? It would be very satisfying to use the DDJ technique in more places than just a forward iterator - otherwise there will be at least two ways to iterate: enumerators and STL-like iterators.
 If you want to contrast the levels of difficulty of collection enumeration
 implementations with other languages, you should be reading my "Positive
 Integration" column in CUJ. If you don't get CUJ, you can still constrast

 and Java by downloading the distributions from the recls website
 (http://recls.org/downloads.html). If anyone digests that and _honestly_
 tells me that D's solution is not the simplest to implement, I'll eat my
 hat.

 Cheers

 Matthew
Feb 24 2004
next sibling parent reply Sean Kelly <sean ffwd.cx> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 One question I had after reading the DDJ article was about different kinds
 of iterators. The foreach/nested-function implementation of forward
 iterators
 (enumerators) is very nice and general but how would reverse iterators or
 other STL-like iterators work with nested functions?
See my post titled "foreach, slices, and reverse ranges." I'm hoping we can agree on a way to expand the functionality of foreach. But for other more C++-like work to be done, I think we may need to provide real iterators as well as trait information. I'm currently working to get a "fun" project out the door but after that I'm going to start working on iterators. Sean
Feb 24 2004
parent reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
"Sean Kelly" <sean ffwd.cx> wrote in message
news:c1g8qo$19uj$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Ben Hinkle wrote:
 One question I had after reading the DDJ article was about different
kinds
 of iterators. The foreach/nested-function implementation of forward
 iterators
 (enumerators) is very nice and general but how would reverse iterators
or
 other STL-like iterators work with nested functions?
See my post titled "foreach, slices, and reverse ranges." I'm hoping we can agree on a way to expand the functionality of foreach. But for other more C++-like work to be done, I think we may need to provide real iterators as well as trait information. I'm currently working to get a "fun" project out the door but after that I'm going to start working on iterators.
Feb 24 2004
parent Sean Kelly <sean ffwd.cx> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 It could work that no new syntax is needed to get the more complex
 iterators out of the current foreach semantics - just some struct
 and opApply trickery.
Yup, I think this is true. But that still leaves a potential need for iterators to handle algorithm adaption. Like "sort" may need to be implemented one way for random-access containers and another for sequential-access containers. Sean
Feb 24 2004
prev sibling parent "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> wrote in message
news:c1fnmm$9mi$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

As soon as time allows, Walter and I'll be battling like a couple of half-dead old stags in pursuit of DTL, and these issues will all be cropping up It's going to be a few more weeks, though. :-(
Feb 24 2004