D - Bug in foreach with assoc arrays.

reply Evan <1 3.com> writes:
I seem to have run into a bug in the foreach statement.  This comes
originally from some work that I've been doing wrapping socket and
porting over Python's asyncore module, but it could apply more widely,
but I haven't really had time to explore it more fully.

The problem is this (also see the attached code):

When you use a foreach statement with an associative array, it won't
compile cleanly if your second index is a typedef'd uint (ex. a SOCKET).
  This also casts into doubt whether it will properly iterate over the
assoc array in that circumstance, but I worked around it because I
needed it to compile (changed typedef to alias).  I'll follow this up
after I've done some more testing to see if it's getting iterated over
correctly.

Thanks,

Evan
I think the example mixes up what the key and the value is in the foreach.
The first is the key, the second is the value. I think the example should be
written instead:

typedef uint other;

char[other] map;

char[] remap;

void main()
{
    remap.length = map.length;

    int i;
    foreach(char c; map)
    {
          remap[i] = c;
          i++;

which works.

"Evan" <1 3.com> wrote in message news:c15tr9$pho$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I seem to have run into a bug in the foreach statement.  This comes
 originally from some work that I've been doing wrapping socket and
 porting over Python's asyncore module, but it could apply more widely,
 but I haven't really had time to explore it more fully.

 The problem is this (also see the attached code):

 When you use a foreach statement with an associative array, it won't
 compile cleanly if your second index is a typedef'd uint (ex. a SOCKET).
   This also casts into doubt whether it will properly iterate over the
 assoc array in that circumstance, but I worked around it because I
 needed it to compile (changed typedef to alias).  I'll follow this up
 after I've done some more testing to see if it's getting iterated over
 correctly.

 Thanks,

 Evan
---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----
 typedef uint other;

 char[other] map;

 char[] remap;

 void main()
 {
 remap.length = map.length;

 foreach(uint i, other o; map)
 {
 remap[i] = map[o];
parent C <dont respond.com> writes:
Scary to see an 'i' unitialized ( have the compiler do it ) lol , its be=
en =

beaten into my brain!

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 14:15:35 -0800, Walter <walter digitalmars.com> wrot=
e:

 I think the example mixes up what the key and the value is in the =
 foreach.
 The first is the key, the second is the value. I think the example =
 should be
 written instead:

 typedef uint other;

 char[other] map;

 char[] remap;

 void main()
 {
     remap.length =3D map.length;

     int i;
     foreach(char c; map)
     {
           remap[i] =3D c;
           i++;

 which works.

..
,
 but I haven't really had time to explore it more fully.

 The problem is this (also see the attached code):

 When you use a foreach statement with an associative array, it won't
 compile cleanly if your second index is a typedef'd uint (ex. a SOCKE=
T).
   This also casts into doubt whether it will properly iterate over th=
 assoc array in that circumstance, but I worked around it because I
 needed it to compile (changed typedef to alias).  I'll follow this up=
 after I've done some more testing to see if it's getting iterated ove=
 correctly.

 Thanks,

 Evan
----------------------------------------------------------------------=