D - How are people finding D?

reply Brad Anderson <brad sankaty.dot.com> writes:
I'm just curious as to what media are being successful in attracting people to
D.  Is it:

- word of mouth
- articles in mags, online (Matthew, I'm looking in your direction here)
- slashdot (did the trick for me a year ago)
- other?

I've seen a lot of new posts and contributors in the last few months and was
wondering what caused the traffic.

Cheers,
Brad
Feb 17 2004
next sibling parent Andrew Edwards <remove_ridimz remove_yahoo.com> writes:
Brad Anderson wrote:
 I'm just curious as to what media are being successful in attracting
 people to D.  Is it:

 - word of mouth
 - articles in mags, online (Matthew, I'm looking in your direction here)
 - slashdot (did the trick for me a year ago)
 - other?

 I've seen a lot of new posts and contributors in the last few months and
 was wondering what caused the traffic.

 Cheers,
 Brad
All of the above... Google [ "Programming Language" ] brought me here a year and a half ago. I assisted in bringing you here by way of slashdot. I've tried to do the same on numerous other occasions since then, but they continue to ignore my posts. Took somewhere in the neighborhood of 7 attempts last time, but I'm afraid they're not as easily persuaded this time around. Andrew
Feb 17 2004
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Matthew" <matthew.hat stlsoft.dot.org> writes:
 I'm just curious as to what media are being successful in attracting
people to
 D.  Is it:

 - word of mouth
 - articles in mags, online (Matthew, I'm looking in your direction here)
I don't know that I can tell you how well the articles are going? Walter would have to try and analyse any spikes/ramps in the web traffic on or around the publication of articles mentioning D. All I can say is that there are more written that are yet to be published, and Walter and I are talking about a couple more in the next 2-3 months. :)
 - slashdot (did the trick for me a year ago)
 - other?

 I've seen a lot of new posts and contributors in the last few months and
was
 wondering what caused the traffic.

 Cheers,
 Brad
Feb 17 2004
parent reply dmt tonesoft.com writes:
In article <c0uc8f$2fo4$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Matthew says...
[...]

People will be more attracted to "D" when somebody provides makefile for compiler linix distribution. It is hard to figure out on what platform and with what libraries binaries been compiled and linked.
Mar 22 2004
next sibling parent reply ,larry cowan <,larry_member pathlink.com> writes:
People will be more attracted to "D" when somebody provides makefile for
compiler linix distribution. It is hard to figure out on what platform and
with what libraries binaries been compiled and linked.
Would like a D automake program that can scan a module and the options given, determine what other modules will be imported (for this compile, subject to any versioning), add them, scan them recursively to get everything that is needed. It should be aware of Phobos (which are loaded automatically) and able to deal with packages however we decide to handle that. This doesn;t seem very terrible, I may do it next after a round of improvement on my wildcard code.
Mar 22 2004
next sibling parent reply "C. Sauls" <ibisbasenji yahoo.com> writes:
I recently started using SCons and have to say, it beats the buttons off
of traditional 'make'.  Try giving it a look, at least.
http://www.scons.org/

Of course I guess I'm biased, being a bit of a Python person.  :)

-C. Sauls
-Invironz
Mar 22 2004
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
C. Sauls wrote:
 I recently started using SCons and have to say, it beats the buttons off
 of traditional 'make'.  Try giving it a look, at least.
 http://www.scons.org/

 Of course I guess I'm biased, being a bit of a Python person.  :)
Seconded. SCons is awesome. I should see if it's possible to make a standalone package with py2exe. -- andy
Mar 22 2004
next sibling parent reply Karl Bochert <kbochert copper.net> writes:
 I recently started using SCons and have to say, it beats the buttons off
 of traditional 'make'.  Try giving it a look, at least.
 http://www.scons.org/

 Of course I guess I'm biased, being a bit of a Python person.  :)
Seconded. SCons is awesome
..
 I should see if it's possible to make a
 standalone package with py2exe.
Please! Karl Bocher
Mar 23 2004
parent reply SL <shadowlord13 users.sourceforge.net> writes: