D - alias declarations extension

reply Manfred Nowak <svv1999 hotmail.com> writes:
I just found:
| If the designers of X-Windows built cars, there would be no fewer
| than five steering wheels hidden about the cockpit, none of which
| followed the same principles -- but you'd be able to shift gears
| with your car stereo. Useful feature, that. (Marcus J Ranum)

For D we have function pointers, delegates and of course variables that
can be declared in the module scope. Why should alias declarations
follow another principle?

I propose free aliases or alias variables:

<code>
module mod;

alias free;    //free alias declared

void foo(char[] bom)
{
  switch(bom){ //free alias defined here
    case "utf8" : alias ubyte free; break;
    case "utf16": alias wchar free; break;
    case "utf32": alias dchar free; break;
    default:      alias char  free; break;
  };
}

void bar()
{
   free c1; //free alias used
}

void xxx()
{
   free c2; //free alias used
}
</code>

Of course, free aliases have the same problems as the other objects:
should be used however not before a defintion.

So long.
--
Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/
2EA56D6D4DC41ABA311615946D3248A1
next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
A problem with this proposal is that the alias is known at runtime but it
has to be compiled, so there is a chicken-and-egg problem. In other words,
how can the compiler compile bar() and xxx() when the value of the alias is
determined when foo() gets executed? For the example you give I support the
compiler could generate code for any possible alias and then at runtime
"pick" the right implementation, but that seems unworkable.

I think "version" is probably what you want. That is a compile-time switch
statement.

Am I misunderstanding the proposal?

-Ben

"Manfred Nowak" <svv1999 hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:btro1p$4tn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I just found:
 | If the designers of X-Windows built cars, there would be no fewer
 | than five steering wheels hidden about the cockpit, none of which
 | followed the same principles -- but you'd be able to shift gears
 | with your car stereo. Useful feature, that. (Marcus J Ranum)

 For D we have function pointers, delegates and of course variables that
 can be declared in the module scope. Why should alias declarations
 follow another principle?

 I propose free aliases or alias variables:

 <code>
 module mod;

 alias free;    //free alias declared

 void foo(char[] bom)
 {
   switch(bom){ //free alias defined here
     case "utf8" : alias ubyte free; break;
     case "utf16": alias wchar free; break;
     case "utf32": alias dchar free; break;
     default:      alias char  free; break;
   };
 }

 void bar()
 {
    free c1; //free alias used
 }

 void xxx()
 {
    free c2; //free alias used
 }
 </code>

 Of course, free aliases have the same problems as the other objects:
 should be used however not before a defintion.

 So long.
 --
 Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/
 2EA56D6D4DC41ABA311615946D3248A1
Jan 11 2004
prev sibling parent "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
Aliases work with types, everything else you mention works with variables.
This kind of thing is not really possible in compiled languages.  You need
to use a scripting language or entirely interpreted language (SmallTalk?) to
do such things.

Sean