D - Another compiler bug? Static struct functions...

reply ssuukk <ssuukk .go2.pl> writes:
OK, I wrote about it in different thread, but maybe it will be better to
start a new one. For me it seems (due to error message I get) that this
is a compiler problem (not to mention the code compiled for some time...)

This is the offending code. It gives following error, at this line in
the "cross" procedure:

return frVector.make(y*v.z - z*v.y, z*v.x - x*v.z, x*v.y - y*v.x);

Error:

"undefined identifier module frVector.make"

(which looks like compiler thinks "make" is a module in subdirectory
"frVector", right?)

import c.stdio;
import std.math;

alias double frReal;

struct frVector
{
	// aby odwoływać się do nich jako x y z i tablicy
	union {
		struct{ frReal x; frReal y; frReal z;}; frReal w[3];
	}

	// niby-konstruktor
	static frVector make(frReal xx, frReal yy, frReal zz){
		frVector result;
		result.x=xx; result.y=yy; result.z=zz;
		return result;
	}

	// użytkowe
	void set(frReal xx, frReal yy, frReal zz) {
		x=xx; y=yy; z=zz;
	 }

	void set(frVector vv) {
		x=vv.x; y=vv.y; z=vv.z;
	}

	frReal opIndex(int i)
	{
		return w[i];
	}

	frReal opIndex(int i, frReal val)
	{
		w[i]=val;
		return val;
	}

	void print() {
		printf("(%f,%f,%f)\n",x,y,z);
	}

	// ze skalarem
	frVector opMul(frReal sc){
		return frVector.make(x*sc, y*sc, z*sc);
	}

	frVector opDiv(frReal sc){
		return frVector.make(x/sc, y/sc, z/sc);
	}

	void opDivAssign(frReal sc){
		x=x/sc; y=y/sc; z=z/sc;
	}

	// unarne
	frVector opNeg() {
		frVector vv;
		return frVector.make(-x,-y,-z);
	}

	// z wektorem
	frVector opAdd(frVector vv){
		return frVector.make(vv.x+x,vv.y+y,vv.z+z);
	}

	frVector opSub(frVector vv){
		return frVector.make(vv.x-x,vv.y-y,vv.z-z);
	}

	frVector opMul(frVector vv){
		return frVector.make(vv.x*x,vv.y*y,vv.z*z);
	}

	frVector opDiv(frVector vv){
		return frVector.make(vv.x/x,vv.y/y,vv.z/z);
	}

	frReal dot(frVector v) {
		return x*v.x + y*v.y + z*v.z;
	}

	frVector cross(frVector v) {
		return frVector.make(y*v.z - z*v.y, z*v.x - x*v.z, x*v.y - y*v.x);
	}

	// inne

	frReal magnitudeSquared(){
		return x*x + y*y + z*z;
	}

	frReal magnitude(){
		return sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z);
	}

	void normalize(){
		(*this)/=magnitude;

Dec 19 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"ssuukk" <ssuukk .go2.pl> wrote in message
news:brudqd$djh$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| OK, I wrote about it in different thread, but maybe it will be better to
| start a new one. For me it seems (due to error message I get) that this
| is a compiler problem (not to mention the code compiled for some time...)
|
| This is the offending code. It gives following error, at this line in
| the "cross" procedure:
|
| return frVector.make(y*v.z - z*v.y, z*v.x - x*v.z, x*v.y - y*v.x);
|
| Error:
|
| "undefined identifier module frVector.make"
|
| (which looks like compiler thinks "make" is a module in subdirectory
| "frVector", right?)
|

| import c.stdio;
| import std.math;
|
| alias double frReal;
|
| struct frVector
| {
| // aby odwoływać się do nich jako x y z i tablicy
| union {
| struct{ frReal x; frReal y; frReal z;}; frReal w[3];
| }
|
| // niby-konstruktor
| static frVector make(frReal xx, frReal yy, frReal zz){
| frVector result;
| result.x=xx; result.y=yy; result.z=zz;
| return result;
| }

You need to put "make" inside frVector. Or you should make the call just as
"make" and not "frVector.make"

-----------------------
Carlos Santander Bernal
Dec 19 2003
parent reply ssuukk <ssuukk .go2.pl> writes:
 | OK, I wrote about it in different thread, but maybe it will be better to
 | start a new one. For me it seems (due to error message I get) that this
 | is a compiler problem (not to mention the code compiled for some time...)
 |
 | This is the offending code. It gives following error, at this line in
 | the "cross" procedure:
 |
 | return frVector.make(y*v.z - z*v.y, z*v.x - x*v.z, x*v.y - y*v.x);
 |
 | Error:
 |
 | "undefined identifier module frVector.make"
 |
 | (which looks like compiler thinks "make" is a module in subdirectory
 | "frVector", right?)
 |

 | import c.stdio;
 | import std.math;
 |
 | alias double frReal;
 |
 | struct frVector
 | {
 | // aby odwoływać się do nich jako x y z i tablicy
 | union {
 | struct{ frReal x; frReal y; frReal z;}; frReal w[3];
 | }
 |
 | // niby-konstruktor
 | static frVector make(frReal xx, frReal yy, frReal zz){
 | frVector result;
 | result.x=xx; result.y=yy; result.z=zz;
 | return result;
 | }

 You need to put "make" inside frVector. Or you should make the call just as
 "make" and not "frVector.make"

But make IS inside frVector struct! :-O
Dec 19 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"ssuukk" <ssuukk .go2.pl> wrote in message
news:bruqgc$vp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
| But make IS inside frVector struct! :-O

My mistake: you're right.
And that's the same reason why your code compiles for me. Even a call to
frVector.make.

-----------------------
Carlos Santander B. wrote:
 "ssuukk" <ssuukk .go2.pl> wrote in message
 news:bruqgc$vp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | But make IS inside frVector struct! :-O

 My mistake: you're right.
 And that's the same reason why your code compiles for me. Even a call to
 frVector.make.

It also compiled for me - for some time. All of the sudden I got this strange error message...
Dec 19 2003
parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
ssuukk <ssuukk .go2.pl> wrote in news:bruvbc$1745$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 Carlos Santander B. wrote:
 "ssuukk" <ssuukk .go2.pl> wrote in message
 news:bruqgc$vp8$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 | But make IS inside frVector struct! :-O

 My mistake: you're right.
 And that's the same reason why your code compiles for me. Even a call to
 frVector.make.

It also compiled for me - for some time. All of the sudden I got this strange error message...
I have seen this bug before too. Unfortunatly it's been a couple of months since I last played with the Vector lib so I don't remember how I got around it. I do know it started happening when I used the Vector class in a module other than the one it was defined in. I think this may be one of those odd bugs related to the module compile order.
Dec 19 2003
parent reply ssuukk <ssuukk .go2.pl> writes:
My mistake: you're right.
And that's the same reason why your code compiles for me. Even a call to
frVector.make.
It also compiled for me - for some time. All of the sudden I got this strange error message...
I have seen this bug before too. Unfortunatly it's been a couple of months since I last played with the Vector lib so I don't remember how I got around it. I do know it started happening when I used the Vector class in a module other than the one it was defined in. I think this may be one of those odd bugs related to the module compile order.
Certainly, that's what I tought. But "compile order bug" was too crazy for me. I wonder if it will be easy for Walter to replicate this, though :-)
Dec 19 2003
parent Patrick Down <Patrick_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <brv3to$1do9$1 digitaldaemon.com>, ssuukk says...
My mistake: you're right.
And that's the same reason why your code compiles for me. Even a call to
frVector.make.
It also compiled for me - for some time. All of the sudden I got this strange error message...
I have seen this bug before too. Unfortunatly it's been a couple of months since I last played with the Vector lib so I don't remember how I got around it. I do know it started happening when I used the Vector class in a module other than the one it was defined in. I think this may be one of those odd bugs related to the module compile order.
Certainly, that's what I tought. But "compile order bug" was too crazy for me. I wonder if it will be easy for Walter to replicate this, though :-)
I've seen some crazy bugs while working with D. :-) If I have some time this weekend I will try to factor it down into an easy example for Walter.
Dec 19 2003