D - foreach gotchas

reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
With the for each val is always a copy, which means code like below is
incorrect.

int [] array;

foreach (int i, int val; array)
{
    val = 10;
}

I think in foreach val should be a reference.

What's worse, is if you iterate through an array of structs with
foreach.  In these cases there probably is a  performance hit due to the
copy.

-Anderson
Dec 18 2003
parent reply Patrick Down <pat codemoon.com> writes:
You can do it with inout

J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> wrote in
news:brsd95$9iu$1 digitaldaemon.com:

 With the for each val is always a copy, which means code like below is
 incorrect.

 int [] array;

 foreach (int i, int val; array)
 {
     val = 10;
 }
foreach (inout int i, int val; array) { val = 10; }

 I think in foreach val should be a reference.

 What's worse, is if you iterate through an array of structs with
 foreach.  In these cases there probably is a  performance hit due to
 the copy.

 -Anderson

Dec 18 2003
parent J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Patrick Down wrote:

You can do it with inout

Thanks.