D - feature request (elf objects)

reply one_mad_alien hotmail.com writes:
Walter,

since the Linux DMD generates Elf objects and integrates with gcc wonderfully is
there any chance that a win32 version that works with mingw (www.mingw.org)
would be released ?
this is would potentially open the door to D being used on more Non MS OS's such
as FreeDOS, VxWorks or other X86 OS that ld/gcc cross compiler tools support,
which currently is only possible with a Linux box.

Mike.
Dec 06 2003
parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
sorry for intervention,

I thought the MinGW32/Cygwin linker ld is a fully different thing than
on Linux and doesn't support ELF.

However, there is an alternative Linker from Christof Meerwald (derived
from OpenWatcom), which might be able to link together the MinGW, the
MSVC, and DigitalMars binaries. You can expect that this linker would
support an increasing number of platforms next time...

One potential problem i see is the format for stub libraries, which may
be different even if code-only libraries (which don't import anything
from DLLs) may be the same. I ran over this problem when trying to link
together binaries from MinGW and LCC-Win32. It may be that only the
expected identifiers differed.

Nice to see you back.

-eye

one_mad_alien hotmail.com wrote:
 Walter,

 since the Linux DMD generates Elf objects and integrates with gcc wonderfully
is
 there any chance that a win32 version that works with mingw (www.mingw.org)
 would be released ?
 this is would potentially open the door to D being used on more Non MS OS's
such
 as FreeDOS, VxWorks or other X86 OS that ld/gcc cross compiler tools support,
 which currently is only possible with a Linux box.

 Mike.
Dec 06 2003
parent reply one_mad_alien hotmail.com writes:
In article <bqt49d$2u0p$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ilya Minkov says...

I thought the MinGW32/Cygwin linker ld is a fully different thing than
on Linux and doesn't support ELF.
your right, I think I was getting confused with devkitadvance and the palm arm tools (arm uses elf, m68k uses coff) cygwin gcc outputs pe-i368 objects (what ever that is .......) still a D that works with cygwin/mingw would be good.
Dec 06 2003
parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
one_mad_alien hotmail.com wrote:
 cygwin gcc outputs pe-i368 objects (what ever that is .......)
Basically the same .obj and .lib format used by MSVC and LCC-Win32, with some subtle difference on stub libraries. Their will to be platform-native for each platform goes further than one might think. :)
 still a D that works with cygwin/mingw would be good.
Agree. -eye
Dec 07 2003
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:bqvc1c$jlo$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 one_mad_alien hotmail.com wrote:
 cygwin gcc outputs pe-i368 objects (what ever that is .......)
Basically the same .obj and .lib format used by MSVC and LCC-Win32, with some subtle difference on stub libraries. Their will to be platform-native for each platform goes further than one might think. :)
 still a D that works with cygwin/mingw would be good.
Agree.
It's a surprising amount of extra work to keep the linux version in sync with the win32 version. If I add more back ends, progress will grind to a halt. I think more back ends will have to wait until D gets hooked into gcc.
Dec 07 2003