D - #! probably should be legal

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:

followed by any number of characters) as a legal line of D syntax.  It
would be treated by the parser as a null-line (no effect).

It would allow us to run d programs almost as scripts (when we move to

correct interpreter for a shell.  I might add

at the beginning of some of my files.  It might not be exactly the
smartest thing to do, but it seems like it would add a lot of
flexibility w/o adding hardly any complexity to the language or its
parser.

Thoughts?

--
The Villagers are Online! http://villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 19 2001
next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
Please, no favors for Unix (or any other specific platform).  Especially
when it adds so little.

Sean

next sibling parent reply Axel Kittenberger <axel dtone.org> writes:
Sean L. Palmer wrote:

 Please, no favors for Unix (or any other specific platform).  Especially
 when it adds so little.
Well funny defintion of "specific platform", today almost all major computers systems except ms-windows run on a unix-like or compatible OS. Now even the MAC has gone unix.... The special question in this regard should better be: do you allow the language to be also interpreted beside beeing compiled? I guess no. token. It's shorter than '//', it does not bring system problems like '/*' and is stackable, also from an artistic view it seperates the text better, beside that it is write-spread as comment token in all non computing language definition files, like almost in all /etc files, or as comment in makefiles. Beside it's exactly as the he said it, on unix systems it allows you to specify an executable a text file should be computed with if executed. - Axel -- |D) http://www.dtone.org
Nov 19 2001
parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
So what's so wrong with using:

   dinterp mydscript.d

instead of merely

   mydscript.d

?

Maybe you could rename the file  'mydscript.di' to signify it's interpreted.

If you tie the D language to Unix today, and 5 years from now Unix is out of
vogue because some new OS comes in and takes over the world, then what?

If you think about sheer number of computers running the OS, Windows wins.
Why not make ';' the end-of-line comment, since ';' is used as end-of-line
comment in Windows .ini files?  I'd be happier if make used ';' or '//' as
eol comment tokens.

Think about what is being requested.  This is clearly a platform/OS specific
issue and should not be addressed by the core D spec.

Sean

"Axel Kittenberger" <axel dtone.org> wrote in message
news:9tajbh$1gm1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sean L. Palmer wrote:

[...]

Thats classic way of windows thinking, note that on core unix systems the filename or extention is not necessarly the connected to an application (well the KDE IDE does interpred extendions today). If you rest of the line is interpreted as path, and the matching file will be executed with this filename as paramter, than it's checked to be an ELF file, and various other formats, I don't know of :o)
 If you tie the D language to Unix today, and 5 years from now Unix is out
 of vogue because some new OS comes in and takes over the world, then what?
Well Unix has just celebrated it's 30 birthday. So it please draw out the odds of this to change in the next 5 years.
 If you think about sheer number of computers running the OS, Windows wins.
No, If you take out the sheer number of CPU's windows looses high, it's far beneth 1 percent, well all unixes counted together also loose high. The most CPU's on this world run some RTOS, or are total monolithic. Think of it were everywhere a CPU is used, starting from your handy (actually having 2 CPU's in them), your digital watch, your TV, your washmashine, yes even some credit cards contain full CPU'S. If you count all computer running servers and non-desktop operations windows looses again, through how many unix servers do you think your telephone call will be routed through if you call your friend on the phone? How many unix based routers does this post pass until it reaches your desktop? (Note that IOS from CISCO routers is BSD (al'a UNIX) based. What do you other crucial systems like the stock market runs upon? Hospital databases? Now turn over the scope, let's get all computing languages that exist, where were they developed on? C? Java? Perl? Phython? Eiffel.. Honestly I cannot think of a single language that was "born" on windows systems, sure there are some but they do not come in my mind currently, all Basic come originally from monolithic systems) I do not know where Pascal was developed on, since it was orignially written 1970 it's umm 1 year older than K&R's C and their UNIX.
 Why not make ';' the end-of-line comment, since ';' is used as end-of-line
 comment in Windows .ini files?  I'd be happier if make used ';' or '//' as
 eol comment tokens.

 Think about what is being requested.  This is clearly a platform/OS
 specific issue and should not be addressed by the core D spec.
drew examples where it is otherwhere used. ';' is a very bad commentor, first it is used already as seperator, second it's contra intuative, third it's not a "thick" character seperating syntactic total different parts well. - Axel
Nov 19 2001
"Axel Kittenberger" <axel dtone.org> wrote in message
news:9tatp8$1mo6$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Honestly I cannot think of a single language that was "born" on windows
 systems,
Uh, D. <g> Though I am trying to not make it inherently dependent on Windows in any way.
Nov 19 2001
prev sibling parent reply Russell Borogove <kaleja estarcion.com> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" wrote:

 Please, no favors for Unix (or any other specific platform).  Especially
 when it adds so little.
at the beginning of the file. -RB
Nov 19 2001
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
How about this:  Your future Unix-based D interpreter can provide a language
extension to support that.  And you personally can put it at the start of
all your D scripts.  ;)

Sean

"Russell Borogove" <kaleja estarcion.com> wrote in message
news:3BF962FB.EECF5DD0 estarcion.com...
 "Sean L. Palmer" wrote:
 Please, no favors for Unix (or any other specific platform).  Especially
 when it adds so little.
at the beginning of the file. -RB
Nov 20 2001