D - D library "headers"

reply brad beveridge <brad nospam.com> writes:
Sorry if this has come up, or I've missed it somewhere.
Lets for a moment assume that I want to write a library in D, compile it
and distribute it as binary only.  How would I go about letting other
apps link to that library?
So if I have void someFunc(void) in my library, could I distribute a D
module that had
extern (D) void someFunc(void);
in it?

Is it the same for classes.
extern (D) class Foo;?

Cheers
Brad
Dec 02 2003
next sibling parent reply "Julio César Carrascal Urquijo" <adnoctum phreaker.net> writes:
Have a look at the Synsoft libraries that Metthew Wilson created.

You have to maintain two sets of .d files one with the implementation and
another with just function declarations within a extern (D) {} block.

"brad beveridge" <brad nospam.com> wrote in message
news:bqisas$2t6q$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Sorry if this has come up, or I've missed it somewhere.
 Lets for a moment assume that I want to write a library in D, compile it
 and distribute it as binary only.  How would I go about letting other
 apps link to that library?
 So if I have void someFunc(void) in my library, could I distribute a D
 module that had
 extern (D) void someFunc(void);
 in it?

 Is it the same for classes.
 extern (D) class Foo;?

 Cheers
 Brad
Dec 02 2003
next sibling parent "Julio César Carrascal Urquijo" <adnoctum phreaker.net> writes:
Sorry, it should be Matthew Wilson and the SynSoft libraries are located at
http://synesis.com.au/synsoft/d.html.
Dec 02 2003
prev sibling parent reply uwem <uwem_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bqjae4$ftv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Julio César Carrascal Urquijo
says...
Have a look at the Synsoft libraries that Metthew Wilson created.

You have to maintain two sets of .d files one with the implementation and
another with just function declarations within a extern (D) {} block.
No chance. I have a file 'types.d' with the following declaration: extern (D) { class test; } In a other source file 'myfunc.d': import types; void myfunc() { test xx = new test; } compile: dmd -c myfunc.d compiler says: types.d: class test is forward referenced Bye Uwe
Dec 02 2003
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
You would have to provide a full class declaration, with forward-declared
member functions.  You cannot instantiate forward-declared classes.

It would be nice if the compiler would just go out and discover the class
properties by looking at .obj file records, instead of having to parse it
through a text file.  But the point of these "headers" is to tell one how to
use the library, and "module mylib; class foo;" doesn't tell you much about
how mylib's foo objects work.  Just knowing the class exists does not give
you enough information to even construct an instance of the class, because
you might need to provide parameters.

Sean

"uwem" <uwem_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bqjv5v$1f70$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In article <bqjae4$ftv$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Julio César Carrascal Urquijo
 says...
Have a look at the Synsoft libraries that Metthew Wilson created.

You have to maintain two sets of .d files one with the implementation and
another with just function declarations within a extern (D) {} block.
No chance. I have a file 'types.d' with the following declaration: extern (D) { class test; } In a other source file 'myfunc.d': import types; void myfunc() { test xx = new test; } compile: dmd -c myfunc.d compiler says: types.d: class test is forward referenced Bye Uwe
Dec 03 2003
prev sibling parent reply Ilya Minkov <minkov cs.tum.edu> writes:
It is enough to declare everything without extern, but you would leave
the code out, just as with C++.

digc, the compiler driver which comes with dig library by Burton Radons
(www.opend.org) can strip away function/method bodies. What you get is
fairly equivalent to headers.

In future, binary symbol tables might be implemented, which would solve
the problem completely, but it is simply too early to think of such
things right now...

-eye

brad beveridge wrote:
 Sorry if this has come up, or I've missed it somewhere.
 Lets for a moment assume that I want to write a library in D, compile it
 and distribute it as binary only.  How would I go about letting other
 apps link to that library?
 So if I have void someFunc(void) in my library, could I distribute a D
 module that had
 extern (D) void someFunc(void);
 in it?

 Is it the same for classes.
 extern (D) class Foo;?

 Cheers
 Brad

Dec 03 2003
"Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
news:bqlev1$j5p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In future, binary symbol tables might be implemented, which would solve
 the problem completely, but it is simply too early to think of such
 things right now...
D is designed so that module imports can be implemented by loading some vendor-defined precompiled symbol table binary file. I was going down the road implementing one such for DMD, until I realized that the lexer/parser is so fast that it made more sense to just parse the original source for the symbols.
Dec 26 2003
parent "Sean L. Palmer" <palmer.sean verizon.net> writes:
If the original source file is smaller, you're probably right  :)

news:bsgs2r$spd$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Ilya Minkov" <minkov cs.tum.edu> wrote in message
 news:bqlev1$j5p$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 In future, binary symbol tables might be implemented, which would solve
 the problem completely, but it is simply too early to think of such
 things right now...
D is designed so that module imports can be implemented by loading some vendor-defined precompiled symbol table binary file. I was going down the road implementing one such for DMD, until I realized that the lexer/parser is so fast that it made more sense to just parse the original source for
the
 symbols.
Dec 27 2003