D - Zip

reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> writes:
Pardon if it's a dumb question, but is it possible to

1. Use the new D zip module to read files made with WinZip
2. To write files in WinZip form

Also, can the D zip module apply Winzip compatible, or other, password
encryption.

I know many zip formats share a commonality somewhere deep, which is why
WinZip can open several kinds, but I cannot remember the details.
Nov 12 2003
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> wrote in message
news:boulvk$1d04$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Pardon if it's a dumb question, but is it possible to

 1. Use the new D zip module to read files made with WinZip
Yes. (as long as you stick with the 'deflate' compression method, which is the default, and do not use encryption, multi-disk zips, etc.)
 2. To write files in WinZip form
Yes.
 Also, can the D zip module apply Winzip compatible, or other, password
 encryption.
Password encryption is not supported. It could be added if there's a lot of interest in it. But anyone using it should know that there are numerous *effective* zip password crackers out there. Zip password encryption will not stop anyone capable of using google.
 I know many zip formats share a commonality somewhere deep, which is why
 WinZip can open several kinds, but I cannot remember the details.
There are older zip formats supported by the comprehensive zip programs, but I doubt many care about them. If I'm wrong, support for it could be added.
Nov 13 2003
parent reply "Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> writes:
 "Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> wrote in message
 news:boulvk$1d04$2 digitaldaemon.com...
 Pardon if it's a dumb question, but is it possible to

 1. Use the new D zip module to read files made with WinZip
Yes. (as long as you stick with the 'deflate' compression method, which is the default, and do not use encryption, multi-disk zips, etc.)
Cool
 2. To write files in WinZip form
Yes.
Cool
 Also, can the D zip module apply Winzip compatible, or other, password
 encryption.
Password encryption is not supported. It could be added if there's a lot
of
 interest in it. But anyone using it should know that there are numerous
 *effective* zip password crackers out there. Zip password encryption will
 not stop anyone capable of using google.
Yes, please. Let's have it. I promise to donate the tool I write if we get password support. :)
 I know many zip formats share a commonality somewhere deep, which is why
 WinZip can open several kinds, but I cannot remember the details.
There are older zip formats supported by the comprehensive zip programs,
but
 I doubt many care about them. If I'm wrong, support for it could be added.
nw.
Nov 13 2003
"Matthew Wilson" <matthew-hat -stlsoft-dot.-org> wrote in message
news:bovho3$2oj5$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Password encryption is not supported. It could be added if there's a lot
of
 interest in it. But anyone using it should know that there are numerous
 *effective* zip password crackers out there. Zip password encryption
will
 not stop anyone capable of using google.
Yes, please. Let's have it. I promise to donate the tool I write if we get password support. :)
May I ask what the application for password support is? Maybe I can talk you out of it <g>.
Nov 13 2003