D - module name convenction and DUI

reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
What do you think,

Should I change all DUI module names to lower case?

I guess that's the rigth way to go.

Ant
Nov 09 2003
parent reply J Anderson <REMOVEanderson badmama.com.au> writes:
Ant wrote:

What do you think,

Should I change all DUI module names to lower case?

I guess that's the rigth way to go.

Ant

It seems to be the most common standard in D. -Anderson
Nov 09 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bom71q$paa$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J Anderson says...
Ant wrote:

What do you think,

Should I change all DUI module names to lower case?

I guess that's the rigth way to go.

Ant

It seems to be the most common standard in D. -Anderson
Nov 09 2003
In article <bomh29$19hg$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
Ant wrote:

What do you think,

Should I change all DUI module names to lower case?

I guess that's the rigth way to go.

Ant

It seems to be the most common standard in D. -Anderson
oops. Somebody forget to put in the text: I was just gonna say that I'm mad at Walter because he took my toys away: with this import problems I don't feel like playing with DUI or leds or any of my D projects... Ant
Nov 09 2003
parent reply "Carlos Santander B." <carlos8294 msn.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bomiqa$1bqe$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| I was just gonna say that I'm mad at Walter because
| he took my toys away:
| with this import problems I don't feel like playing
| with DUI or leds or any of my D projects...
|
| Ant

Wasn't that expected? Haven't we all expressed our preference to make
changes now rather when D hits version 1, or when we do more important
projects?

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander

---

Nov 09 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bompci$1kgk$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Carlos Santander B. says...
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bomiqa$1bqe$1 digitaldaemon.com...

| I was just gonna say that I'm mad at Walter because
| he took my toys away:
| with this import problems I don't feel like playing
| with DUI or leds or any of my D projects...
|
| Ant

Wasn't that expected? Haven't we all expressed our preference to make
changes now rather when D hits version 1, or when we do more important
projects?

—————————————————————————
Carlos Santander
No, no, no, no, that's not what I'm saying. Of course you're right, of course we all are right. I think that the import problem was always there. Before 0.75 we had to guess what the compiler was complaining about from some 'unclear' error messages. This time I can't guess what the problem is. Maybe just because the import structure is more complex now the unclear messages are more difficult to figure out. Maybe the compiler gets confused with "std.xxx" on the imports. Maybe not, it was doing ok with "dui.xxx"... Who knows? I don't want to look at C++ code on the src/dmd. Nobody else is complaining any more, so it might be only my problem. I think Walter doesn't believe this is a real problem... Maybe he is right, I'm lost here... Ant
Nov 09 2003
parent reply J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Ant wrote:
[...]

I've had some similar problems. Some of the problems I managed to fix and with some other problems I got so frustrated that I've had to set it aside. (I think I might give that difficult code a fresh look this week.) I suspect that most of my problem is I've been mislead by some error messages. Sometimes, when I get confused (and frustrated), I end up messing up code in a second spot when I'm trying to fix the first problem. Here's an example of a somewhat vague error message. If two of the source files have "module package.mod1;" at the top (by accident, of course), the compiler gives a message: "module mod1 is in multiple packages package.mod1". It took me a while to figure out what this meant since I didn't realize that I labeled two modules the same thing. I thought the problem was something else. It would've been nice if the error message listed the files (e.g. package\mod1.d, package\mod2.d) that contain the repeated package.

 I think Walter doesn't believe this is a real problem...
 Maybe he is right, I'm lost here...
If it is a compiler problem, I think Walter could be persuaded with a simple example. My problem (and I'm sure yours as well) is coming up with an example of this problem that's less than thousands of lines of code. If there is a compiler bug with importing, I'm confident that someone in the D community will be able to pinpoint it. Justin

 Ant
Nov 09 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bomupo$1rab$1 digitaldaemon.com>, J C Calvarese says...
 Before 0.75 we had to guess what the compiler was complaining about
 from some 'unclear' error messages.

I've had some similar problems. Some of the problems I managed to fix and with some other problems I got so frustrated that I've had to set it aside. (I think I might give that difficult code a fresh look this week.) Here's an example of a somewhat vague error message. If two of the source files have "module package.mod1;" at the top (by accident, of course), the compiler gives a message: "module mod1 is in multiple packages package.mod1".
You're right. My current source editor (leds, of course) can't generate code (yet) so to create new source files I just copy the header from an existing one. This results that I have that problem so often I don't even look at it as a bug anymore. This is the kind of things Walter would wants to know about so he can corrected them. Will you make a "BUG:" post or should I?
If there is a compiler bug with importing, I'm confident that someone in
the D community will be able to pinpoint it.
agreed. Ant
Nov 09 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bon0e7$1tkm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This is the kind of things Walter would wants to know about so
 he can corrected them.
 Will you make a "BUG:" post or should I?
Yes, I do want to know about them. What would be real nice is a short example illustrating the problem (either a bug, bad error message, etc.).
Nov 11 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <borasn$271q$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bon0e7$1tkm$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This is the kind of things Walter would wants to know about so
 he can corrected them.
 Will you make a "BUG:" post or should I?
Yes, I do want to know about them. What would be real nice is a short example illustrating the problem (either a bug, bad error message, etc.).
This one is easy to illustrate. I'll do it tonight. Ant
Nov 11 2003
next sibling parent J C Calvarese <jcc7 cox.net> writes:
Ant wrote:

 In article <borasn$271q$2 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...

"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:bon0e7$1tkm$1 digitaldaemon.com...

This is the kind of things Walter would wants to know about so
he can corrected them.
Will you make a "BUG:" post or should I?
Yes, I do want to know about them. What would be real nice is a short example illustrating the problem (either a bug, bad error message, etc.).
This one is easy to illustrate. I'll do it tonight. Ant
I've already written an example. I just posted it in a new thread called "BUG: multiple packages". Justin
Nov 11 2003
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:borc64$29an$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This one is easy to illustrate.
 I'll do it tonight.
I've found a problem, it might be the cause of what's ailing dui. Several of the modules need a module statement, i.e. string.d needs the line: module std.string; in it.
Nov 11 2003
parent reply Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <bosndb$1cvi$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:borc64$29an$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This one is easy to illustrate.
 I'll do it tonight.
I've found a problem, it might be the cause of what's ailing dui. Several of the modules need a module statement, i.e. string.d needs the line: module std.string; in it.
I wouldn't be surprised. That might be it! I should have tought of this, I believe had similar problems before... (I'm "almost" mad at me...) I can add all the missing module declarations and try it (tonight). Should module be mandatory? (as in java) Or can the compiler give a more clear message? - that will make this problem easy to detect. Otherwise this will happen again. Ant
Nov 12 2003
next sibling parent "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:botfkf$2i01$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Should module be mandatory? (as in java)
I've been reluctant to do that, as skipping the module statement makes writing trivial D programs even easier <g>.
 Or can the compiler give a more clear message? - that will
 make this problem easy to detect.
 Otherwise this will happen again.
I think better error messages are the ticket here.
Nov 12 2003
prev sibling parent Ant <Ant_member pathlink.com> writes:
In article <botfkf$2i01$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Ant says...
In article <bosndb$1cvi$1 digitaldaemon.com>, Walter says...
"Ant" <Ant_member pathlink.com> wrote in message
news:borc64$29an$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 This one is easy to illustrate.
 I'll do it tonight.
I've found a problem, it might be the cause of what's ailing dui. Several of the modules need a module statement, i.e. string.d needs the line: module std.string; in it.
I can add all the missing module declarations and try it (tonight).
did not work... but I didn't have much time to do it. I'll recheck it. I did add all module declarations (except ti_*), change all import to private (on phobos, and DUI) (except ti_*). Any hints beside checking every thing was done properly, and change ti_* files? Ant
Nov 13 2003