D - Protection attributes - Inconsistency?

reply Sarat Venugopal <sarat removeme.huelix.com> writes:
Hello all,

I have scanned the newsgroup messages and the documentation, but was
unable to get definitive info on the following:

1) Are constructors special in that they do not honor protection
attributes? Apparently, it doesn't matter whether the ctor is private -
the class can be instantiated regardless.

2) Can protection attributes be applied to members of a struct?
Apparently not.

3) Can a class definition be protected? i.e. I would like a class to be
visible only within its module.

private class Foo {...}

The compiler accepts this but the visbility is public.

4) "protected" modifier on a module member is illegal according to the
docs. But the code compiles all the same and works as if the memeber
were public. Shouldn't the compiler generate an error here? Of course,
there is no valid reason to do this, but since there are no warnings
issued by the compiler, it would be nice to flasg the illegal ones as
errors.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Sarat Venugopal

Some code to illustrate:

protect.d
import std.c.stdio;

class CTest
{
  private:
   this() { printf("Private default ctor\n"); }

   this(int x) { printf("Private int arg ctor\n"); x_ = x; }

  public:
   // Compiler error if this is private
   void Print() { printf("I would like some privacy here\n"); }

private:
   int x_;
}

// Are protection attributes valid in a struct?
struct STest
{
  private:
  int x_ = -10;
  int y_ = 100;
}

// This is okay
public STest sPub;

// This passes - Suppposed to be illegal
// The line below is quite dumb - just to illustrate
protected STest sProt;

// Okay, this is private - compiler error
// private STest sPriv;

main.d
import protect;

int main()
{
   // Test ctor is declared private
   CTest t = new CTest();
   t.Print();

   // x_ and y_ are declared private, but visible
   printf("Public struct (x,y): (%d, %d)\n", sPub.x_, sPub.y_);

   // sProt is a protected module member - should be illegal?
   printf("Protected struct (x,y): (%d, %d)\n", sProt.x_, sProt.y_);

   // Okay, module level privacy is clearly honored
   //printf("Private struct (x,y): (%d, %d)\n", sPriv.x_, sPub.y_);

   return 0;
}
Nov 07 2003
"Sarat Venugopal" <sarat removeme.huelix.com> wrote in message
news:bogb7f$1cc1$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 1) Are constructors special in that they do not honor protection
 attributes? Apparently, it doesn't matter whether the ctor is private -
 the class can be instantiated regardless.
That's a compiler bug.
 2) Can protection attributes be applied to members of a struct?
 Apparently not.
That should work.
 3) Can a class definition be protected? i.e. I would like a class to be
 visible only within its module.

 private class Foo {...}

 The compiler accepts this but the visbility is public.
That's a bug.
[...]

Nov 11 2003