D - Sick of trying

reply Russ Lewis <spamhole-2001-07-16 deming-os.org> writes:
Is there really any reason for the try keyword?  Seems to me that we can
drop it.  But if we do that, then we can also attach catch blocks to any
block, most interestingly function blocks, where you could chain
exceptions like somebody mentioned recently:

void foo()
{
   // stuff
}
catch(Exception e)
{
    throw FooFailedException("foo() failed", e);
       // chains "foo() failed" onto the exception chain

The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 09 2001
Ack!  Just realized that my example has the MAJOR downside of concealing the
exception type...all Exceptions become FooFailedExceptions.

Somehow, chaining of exceptions should retain the original exception type,
IMHO.

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 09 2001
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> writes:
That sounds like a really great idea.  More flexible... less typing... one
less keyword... it's great!

Sean

 Is there really any reason for the try keyword?  Seems to me that we can
 drop it.  But if we do that, then we can also attach catch blocks to any
 block, most interestingly function blocks, where you could chain
 exceptions like somebody mentioned recently:

 void foo()
 {
    // stuff
 }
 catch(Exception e)
 {
     throw FooFailedException("foo() failed", e);
        // chains "foo() failed" onto the exception chain
 }
Nov 09 2001
parent reply "Pavel \"EvilOne\" Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> wrote in message
news:9sh7p5$227v$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 That sounds like a really great idea.  More flexible... less typing... one
 less keyword... it's great!
This however adds additional job for the compiler of determining which blocks can potentionally throw exceptions and which can't, for optimization purposes I believe. Other than that, I like the idea. Could really make the program look neater, and less typing as well... kewl =)
Nov 09 2001
next sibling parent reply "Walter" <walter digitalmars.com> writes:
"Pavel "EvilOne" Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> wrote in message
news:9sil27$85b$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> wrote in message
 news:9sh7p5$227v$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 That sounds like a really great idea.  More flexible... less typing...
one
 less keyword... it's great!
This however adds additional job for the compiler of determining which blocks can potentionally throw exceptions and which can't, for optimization purposes I believe. Other than that, I like the idea. Could really make the program look neater, and less typing as well... kewl =)
It does look like the try keyword is redundant. On the other hand, some redundancy is useful for: 1) catching syntax errors 2) putting out a reasonable error message as to what might be wrong 3) making it easier for a person examining the code to understand the intent of it Consider this - if a language had no redundancy in it, then *any* random sequence of characters is a valid program. How much redundancy is just right is a matter of personal taste. I, for instance, find Pascal to be unbearably wordy, and Java excessively wordy. D will take its cues from C and C++ on the general style of wordiness.
Nov 10 2001
 It does look like the try keyword is redundant. On the other hand, some
 redundancy is useful for:

 1) catching syntax errors
 2) putting out a reasonable error message as to what might be wrong
 3) making it easier for a person examining the code to understand the intent
 of it

 Consider this - if a language had no redundancy in it, then *any* random
 sequence of characters is a valid program.

 How much redundancy is just right is a matter of personal taste. I, for
 instance, find Pascal to be unbearably wordy, and Java excessively wordy. D
 will take its cues from C and C++ on the general style of wordiness.
Fair points. Frankly, I don't know whether try is a practical help or not. I would still lean toward removing it, but that's just my opinion. -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 12 2001
prev sibling parent "Scott Egan" <scotte tpg.com.aux> writes:
Do you know this is called entropy - the amount of infomation that can be
transfered with a given code base.

An entropy of 1 is as you indicated, random - aka white noise.  Every bit
has as much meaning as the next and so a single bit error ruins the whole
message.

news:9skeha$1dh9$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Apr 18 2004
 "Sean L. Palmer" <spalmer iname.com> wrote in message
 news:9sh7p5$227v$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 That sounds like a really great idea.  More flexible... less typing... one
 less keyword... it's great!
This however adds additional job for the compiler of determining which blocks can potentionally throw exceptions and which can't, for optimization purposes I believe.
As I understand it, the parser determines which blocks are caught blocks and which are not. You just change the parser definition file; removing try would not affect the compiler itself at all. -- The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com .[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ] .[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ] ?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 12 2001
Along the same lines, can we remove the requirement of having {} around the
try blocks?  This seems reasonable to me:

foo()  // note that there is no trailing semicolon
    catch(ACertainException e)
    {
         bar();
     };  // this is the closing semicolon of the expression

--
The Villagers are Online! villagersonline.com

.[ (the fox.(quick,brown)) jumped.over(the dog.lazy) ]
.[ (a version.of(English).(precise.more)) is(possible) ]
?[ you want.to(help(develop(it))) ]
Nov 12 2001
parent reply "Pavel \"EvilOne\" Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 Along the same lines, can we remove the requirement of having {} around
the
 try blocks?  This seems reasonable to me:

 foo()  // note that there is no trailing semicolon
     catch(ACertainException e)
     {
          bar();
      };  // this is the closing semicolon of the expression
I suggested a similar thing not long ago. Walter's reply wasn't that clear. =)
Nov 12 2001
parent reply Aaron <arh14 cornell.edu> writes:
I don't understand why people want to be able to write unclear programs
so much.  What is wrong with try { }?  Really, one should have to make a
good argument why NOT to force clarity, instead of having to argue for
clarity in the first place.  All these "features" make compilation,
analysis, and debugging harder.

Aaron

Pavel \"EvilOne\" Minayev wrote:

 Along the same lines, can we remove the requirement of having {} around
the
 try blocks?  This seems reasonable to me:

 foo()  // note that there is no trailing semicolon
     catch(ACertainException e)
     {
          bar();
      };  // this is the closing semicolon of the expression
I suggested a similar thing not long ago. Walter's reply wasn't that clear. =)
Nov 19 2001
Basically, my thought was that we already had some constructs (like function
bodies, or multiline if- or for- blocks) that required {}.  In some of these
cases, it only inhibits clarity (IMHO) to require an extra set of {} for the
try block.

parent reply "Pavel Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
 Basically, my thought was that we already had some constructs (like
function
 bodies, or multiline if- or for- blocks) that required {}.  In some of
these
 cases, it only inhibits clarity (IMHO) to require an extra set of {} for
the
 try block.
I wouldn't mind if _multiline_ try block would require braces around it since it's the only way to tell the compiler that the block is actually multiline. =) However, when the whole block contains just a single statement, I don't understand why I have to use braces while, say, if() or for() don't require me to.
Nov 19 2001