D - DIDE and compiler messages

reply J Anderson <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> writes:
Just a few more requests with  Charles' DIDE.

With the compiler output (and this may be something Walter can address),
I would be nice to know if it was a success or failure (VC does this),
parhaps with some stats like the size of the file created.  ie

Success - test.exe (75kb)
//or
Failure - test.exe 10 errors.

As (at least for me), that's much faster to interpret, before looking
for error messages.

With compile and run, it still runs the old-program when it fails to
compile. I'd be nice if at least DIDE brought up a warning message,
although I'd expect it not to run at all.

Another thing in DIDE, is that if the compiler fails and no exe exists
it brings up the folder where the exe should be. Is this suppose to occur?

I like the automatic d file association because I can be reading the D
newsgroup and load up anybodies d code in the DIDE browser in a few
clicks, however I can't compile an run them. In other words, it would be
nice to be able to compile and run non-project files.

-Anderson
Oct 19 2003
next sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
 Success - test.exe (75kb)
Good idea Ill add it.
You should be able to compile it, the new version will have Dos Prompt and Explorer commands in the Tools menu that will jump to the project dir to execute it. Lots of changes for new version Ill upload tonight. I wanted to bundle it with YT's win32 lib, and create some wrappers for the functinos but theres never enough time. C "J Anderson" <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> wrote in message news:bmud1u$1ueq$1 digitaldaemon.com...

parent J Anderson <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:

Lots of changes for new version Ill upload tonight.  I wanted to bundle it
with YT's win32 lib, and create some wrappers for the functinos but theres
never enough time.

I can't wait :)
Oct 19 2003
prev sibling next sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
 Success - test.exe (75kb)
 //or
 Failure - test.exe 10 errors.
Actually the only way to test this is to record the executable size ( which may change so this wont work either ) , and compare them, because even in an unsuccessful build an .exe is created of some size. Anyone have any ideas on how to test if a build succeeds ? Other than manually parsing the results ? C "J Anderson" <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> wrote in message news:bmud1u$1ueq$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Oct 20 2003
parent reply Andy Friesen <andy ikagames.com> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:
Success - test.exe (75kb)
//or
Failure - test.exe 10 errors.
Actually the only way to test this is to record the executable size ( which may change so this wont work either ) , and compare them, because even in an unsuccessful build an .exe is created of some size. Anyone have any ideas on how to test if a build succeeds ? Other than manually parsing the results ? C
What about the return code? Every console application returns an integer to the shell. (this is how utilities like make know when to stop) -- andy
Oct 20 2003
next sibling parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
Good thinking ill test it out.

Also does anyone know where I can get that socket.d inherited from Stream ?

Charles
"Andy Friesen" <andy ikagames.com> wrote in message
news:bn1p38$1rih$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Charles Sanders wrote:
Success - test.exe (75kb)
//or
Failure - test.exe 10 errors.
Actually the only way to test this is to record the executable size (
which
 may change so this wont work either ) , and compare them, because even
in an
 unsuccessful build an .exe is created of some size.

 Anyone have any ideas on how to test if a build succeeds ?  Other than
 manually parsing the results ?

What about the return code? Every console application returns an integer to the shell. (this is how utilities like make know when to stop) -- andy
Oct 20 2003
parent reply "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
NM i found it , changed news readers finnaly.  Im using Free Agent what is
everyone else using ?

news:bn1pmc$1sil$1 digitaldaemon.com...

?

parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Charles Sanders wrote:

 NM i found it , changed news readers finnaly.  Im using Free Agent what is
 everyone else using ?

Mozilla Thunderbird but sometimes Gravity (both free of course :). - John
Oct 22 2003
parent Charles <atari-soldiers comcast.net> writes:
John Reimer wrote:
 Charles Sanders wrote:

 NM i found it , changed news readers finnaly.  Im using Free Agent
 what is
 everyone else using ?

Mozilla Thunderbird but sometimes Gravity (both free of course :). - John
Very cool! Mozilla Thunderbird is awesome. ( And they have a really cool emblem! ) C
Oct 22 2003
Your so smart ;).

 Charles Sanders wrote:
Success - test.exe (75kb)
//or
Failure - test.exe 10 errors.
Actually the only way to test this is to record the executable size (
which
 may change so this wont work either ) , and compare them, because even
in an
 unsuccessful build an .exe is created of some size.

 Anyone have any ideas on how to test if a build succeeds ?  Other than
 manually parsing the results ?

What about the return code? Every console application returns an integer to the shell. (this is how utilities like make know when to stop) -- andy
Oct 21 2003
prev sibling parent J Anderson <anderson badmama.com.au.REMOVE> writes:
Another DIDE idea I was just thinking that would be cool:

If you could link the DIDE with the newsreader, so you could send an
email with an attachment of the code to the d newsgroup.  That would
make bug reporting (among other things) much easier.

-Anderson
Oct 22 2003