D - Hello to the newsgroup

reply chiatee1 comp.nus.edu.sg writes:
Hello all,

I heard of D some time back, but at that time I had problems accessing the
news server then, so I couldn't join in the discussion. However, the problem's
solved now. :-)

I find D to be an interesting idea: the only major problem I have with it is
that I can't get a copy of the compiler to try out. Will the compiler be
released any time soon? It'll be interesting to know what it feels like to
program in it, even if it's buggy and released under a `see, don't touch'
license. :)

As a side note, for the last few months I've been working on my own little
OOP extension to the C language (during which I heard about D). I've
managed to come up with a working translator for a subset of it; the source,
which I plan to release under an open-source license soon, is available at
<http://breve.8m.net/>.

In any case, hello to everyone! :-)

Cheers,
--

Nov 04 2001
I'm working on the compiler!

<chiatee1 comp.nus.edu.sg> wrote in message
news:3BE5DE62.515927C8 comp.nus.edu.sg...
[...]

f75949318a026c5707ff188b438cca87faf73a82
Nov 06 2001
parent reply Axel Kittenberger <axel dtone.org> writes:
Walter wrote:

 I'm working on the compiler!
Also working on the compiler can be done in an opened way. (The basar concept instead of cathedral development model) A project constists of more than just coding a compiler and writing the specs. I think it's high time to decide what license politic you want to go. Is the compiler OpenSource? When yes under which license does it go? (GPL, BSD, ...) Can I use the compiler by just beeing dependant on other pieces of OpenSource Software?, or does it only work if I buyed an own the products A, B, C of the companies M, N, O? Does it work with freely available tools? (like in example bison instead of a close parser generator) or does it only work with closed properitary libraries of DigitalMars? Will be able to run on Unix systems? or are we forced to windows (tm)? You know today for a language beeing publical accepted it's pretty much a requirment for the compiler to be freely available. Look at the recent languages that made it, all of them were able to get at null cost (Perl, Python, Java, etc.) and now I notice all of them were with great distance first available for unix systems :o) A true project also constists of many other tasks than just technical aspects. In example gathering and holding a community around it, caring about the legal surrondings, etc. - Axel -- |D) http://www.dtone.org
Nov 06 2001
parent "Pavel \"EvilOne\" Minayev" <evilone omen.ru> writes:
"Axel Kittenberger" <axel dtone.org> wrote in message
news:9sakbi$24g$1 digitaldaemon.com...

 Also working on the compiler can be done in an opened way. (The basar
 concept instead of cathedral development model)

 A project constists of more than just coding a compiler and writing the
 specs. I think it's high time to decide what license politic you want to
 go. Is the compiler OpenSource? When yes under which license does it go?
 (GPL, BSD, ...) Can I use the compiler by just beeing dependant on other
 pieces of OpenSource Software?, or does it only work if I buyed an own the
 products A, B, C of the companies M, N, O? Does it work with freely
 available tools? (like in example bison instead of a close parser
 generator) or does it only work with closed properitary libraries of
 DigitalMars? Will be able to run on Unix systems? or are we forced to
 windows (tm)?
From D FAQ: Q: Will D be open source? A: The long term success of D will require it to be open source. The plan is to first get an implementation working, and then make the front end available to people who would like to merge it with GCC. I believe that answers to most, if not all, of your questions can be deducted from this statement. =)
Nov 07 2001