D - Eclipse IDE Plugin for D?

reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
Has anyone looked into a D IDE plugin for the Eclipse Project yet?  I
imagine this to be a bit of work, but it appears be a powerfully
integrated IDE to work with.  The only other IDE plugins for Eclipse, so
far, appear to be for Java, C/C++ (CDT), and COBOL (of all things!).

I think it's been mentioned here before that eclipse is significantly
multiplatform (Windows, Linux GTK2, Solaris 8, QNX Photon, AIX, HP-UX,
Mac OSX, etc).

- John
Sep 08 2003
parent reply "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem
news:bjj0rg$23vn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Has anyone looked into a D IDE plugin for the Eclipse Project yet?  I
 imagine this to be a bit of work, but it appears be a powerfully
 integrated IDE to work with.  The only other IDE plugins for Eclipse, so
 far, appear to be for Java, C/C++ (CDT), and COBOL (of all things!).

 I think it's been mentioned here before that eclipse is significantly
 multiplatform (Windows, Linux GTK2, Solaris 8, QNX Photon, AIX, HP-UX,
 Mac OSX, etc).

 - John
From time to time people come here and try to see if anyone else is interested in writing a D plugin for Eclipse. As it's an expensive (in terms of man-hours) project to do usually people aren't interested in starting it (including the original posters). So my question is, are you interested in doing it? If you are interested in maintaining it I'll contribute, and I think I can do it fairly well (I'm a professional Java developer). Best regards, Daniel Yokomiso. "Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes, too." --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.514 / Virus Database: 312 - Release Date: 28/8/2003
Sep 08 2003
next sibling parent "Charles Sanders" <sanders-consulting comcast.net> writes:
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a
mile away and you have their shoes, too."

lol!

"Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> wrote in message
news:bjj44v$28ne$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem
 news:bjj0rg$23vn$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 Has anyone looked into a D IDE plugin for the Eclipse Project yet?  I
 imagine this to be a bit of work, but it appears be a powerfully
 integrated IDE to work with.  The only other IDE plugins for Eclipse, so
 far, appear to be for Java, C/C++ (CDT), and COBOL (of all things!).

 I think it's been mentioned here before that eclipse is significantly
 multiplatform (Windows, Linux GTK2, Solaris 8, QNX Photon, AIX, HP-UX,
 Mac OSX, etc).

 - John
From time to time people come here and try to see if anyone else is interested in writing a D plugin for Eclipse. As it's an expensive (in
terms
 of man-hours) project to do usually people aren't interested in starting
it
 (including the original posters). So my question is, are you interested in
 doing it? If you are interested in maintaining it I'll contribute, and I
 think I can do it fairly well (I'm a professional Java developer).

     Best regards,
     Daniel Yokomiso.

 "Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're
 mile away and you have their shoes, too."

 ---
prev sibling parent reply John Reimer <jjreimer telus.net> writes:
 From time to time people come here and try to see if anyone else is
 interested in writing a D plugin for Eclipse. As it's an expensive (in terms
 of man-hours) project to do usually people aren't interested in starting it
 (including the original posters). So my question is, are you interested in
 doing it? If you are interested in maintaining it I'll contribute, and I
 think I can do it fairly well (I'm a professional Java developer).

Daniel, You may have noticed that I'm exceptionally good at asking such questions! I don't know if it's a natural talent, a genetic mutation, or predilection to laziness and procrastination, yet I strongly suspect it to be the latter (don't tell anyone)! But, nevertheless, if someone else is working on such a plugin, it would be nice to know, wouldn't it? (to avoid duplication of efforts). So, in my defense, I think the question is a valid one, however irritating it may be. ;-) Am I interested in doing it? Sure, if I knew how! If the project is as expensive as you say in terms of man-hours, I imagine it's also expensive in terms of programming experience. Unlike you, I have little java experience. I'm interested in looking into it, nonetheless. But I'd better investigate the project requirements further on my own to avoid inability-of-follow-through embarassment :-). Thanks for the response, John
Sep 08 2003
parent reply "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem
news:bjj6ld$2c89$1 digitaldaemon.com...

[snip]

 Daniel,

 You may have noticed that I'm exceptionally good at asking such
 questions!  I don't know if it's a natural talent, a genetic mutation,
 or predilection to laziness and procrastination, yet I strongly suspect
 it to be the latter (don't tell anyone)!

 But, nevertheless, if someone else is working on such a plugin, it would
 be nice to know, wouldn't it? (to avoid duplication of efforts).  So, in
 my defense, I think the question is a valid one, however irritating it
 may be. ;-)
Dammit, I hoped to convince you to lead this project ;)
 Am I interested in doing it? Sure, if I knew how! If the project is as
 expensive as you say in terms of man-hours, I imagine it's also
 expensive in terms of programming experience.  Unlike you, I have little
   java experience.  I'm interested in looking into it, nonetheless. But
 I'd better investigate the project requirements further on my own to
 avoid inability-of-follow-through embarassment :-).

 Thanks for the response,

 John
There are many desirable things for D but so few people, that's why I asked you if you were interested in leading/maintaining this project. If we can get people who have a gift to know what is desirable to commit with these stuff things will be better for everyone and the next person to ask the same thing will either be invited to help the ongoing project or discover that his desire already exists. Best regards, Daniel Yokomiso. "Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training." - Anna Freud "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem news:bjj6ld$2c89$1 digitaldaemon.com... [snip]
[...]

Yes, you are right. I'm ashamed. Next time perhaps I'll post something like: "I've started name-that-project for D. Here's how it's going..." Looking at the work involved in the eclipse plugin, I do see it to be a daunting task. Let me investigate this project more. Maybe something can happen with it. Later, John

 "Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad training."
  - Anna Freud

Eeek! A Freudian! Is this random? Or are you purposely picking these out to baffle people? :-D
Sep 08 2003
parent "Daniel Yokomiso" <daniel_yokomiso yahoo.com.br> writes:
"John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem
news:bjjaf0$2h8f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 There are many desirable things for D but so few people, that's why I
asked
 you if you were interested in leading/maintaining this project. If we
can
 get people who have a gift to know what is desirable to commit with
these
 stuff things will be better for everyone and the next person to ask the
same
 thing will either be invited to help the ongoing project or discover
that
 his desire already exists.

     Best regards,
     Daniel Yokomiso.
Yes, you are right. I'm ashamed.
Don't! I say these things to help us build a better community, not to make people feel they "aren't doing enough". It's a big thing commiting to an open-source project, I commited to Deimos and the one year anniversary approaches without a 0.0.2 version :(, but whenever a good idea comes I'll try to get someone doing it.
 Next time perhaps I'll post something
 like: "I've started name-that-project for D.  Here's how it's going..."

 Looking at the work involved in the eclipse plugin, I do see it to be a
 daunting task. Let me investigate this project more.  Maybe something
 can happen with it.

 Later,

 John

 "Creative minds have always been known to survive any kind of bad
training."
  - Anna Freud
Eeek! A Freudian! Is this random? Or are you purposely picking these out to baffle people? :-D
Mezzo a mezzo. I collect sigs and put them in a file, then I use it as a queue (take the first sig, use it, put it the end). But most of them are things to "baffle people" or that make me think. Best regards, Daniel Yokomiso. "All must fall, and those who stand the highest fall hardest." - Phyrexian Scriptures "John Reimer" <jjreimer telus.net> escreveu na mensagem news:bjjaf0$2h8f$1 digitaldaemon.com...
[...]

Sep 09 2003