D - Allocating from the GC

reply "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
I notice gc.d doesn't have malloc, realloc or free. The file gcx.d does. But
gcx isn't on the toplevel phobos path and that makes me think it isn't
supposed to be called.
How do I allocate memory from the GC pool myself? Should I go through gcx?
When I try to include it in my path I get the error

/home/bhinkle/dmd/src/phobos/gc2/gcx.d(631): function expected before (),
not 'module memset'

I want to pass the GC allocation routines to a C library (that gmp thing
again) so that it can allocate from GC memory instead of C's malloc etc.

thanks,
-Ben
Sep 07 2003
next sibling parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
"Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> wrote in message
news:bjgacv$16hg$1 digitaldaemon.com...
 I notice gc.d doesn't have malloc, realloc or free. The file gcx.d does.
But
 gcx isn't on the toplevel phobos path and that makes me think it isn't
 supposed to be called.
 How do I allocate memory from the GC pool myself? Should I go through gcx?
 When I try to include it in my path I get the error

 /home/bhinkle/dmd/src/phobos/gc2/gcx.d(631): function expected before (),
 not 'module memset'
whoops - this error was my fault. I was trying to import memset. When I take that out I still can't seem to get the right api. Now I'm trying to modify src/phobos/gc.d to include malloc, realloc and free.

prev sibling parent reply Mike Wynn <mike l8night.co.uk> writes:
Ben Hinkle wrote:
 I notice gc.d doesn't have malloc, realloc or free. The file gcx.d does. But
 gcx isn't on the toplevel phobos path and that makes me think it isn't
 supposed to be called.
 How do I allocate memory from the GC pool myself? Should I go through gcx?
 When I try to include it in my path I get the error

 /home/bhinkle/dmd/src/phobos/gc2/gcx.d(631): function expected before (),
 not 'module memset'

 I want to pass the GC allocation routines to a C library (that gmp thing
 again) so that it can allocate from GC memory instead of C's malloc etc.

 thanks,
 -Ben

what about `&((new ubyte[len])[0])` ??
Sep 07 2003
parent "Ben Hinkle" <bhinkle4 juno.com> writes:
 what about `&((new ubyte[len])[0])` ??
thanks! that works great. Now I just have to figure out how to get the GC to work in linux. It seems to seg fault whenever I run fullCollect or genCollect and if I let it burn memory it never collects itself. :P Here's a sample program to test the gc import gc; int main(char[][] args) { ubyte[] foo; GCStats stats; char *fmt = "%u %u %u %u\n"; while (true) { foo = new ubyte[10]; getStats(stats); printf(fmt,stats.poolsize, stats.usedsize, stats.freeblocks, stats.freelistsize); } return 0; } and here is the output 65536 128 14 8064 65536 144 14 8048 65536 160 14 8032 [snip] 1048576 1048528 0 48 1048576 1048544 0 32 1048576 1048560 0 16 1048576 1048576 0 0 Segmentation fault
Sep 08 2003